Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Made You Who You Are?, Why did you choose your religion?
urian 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

My mother went to a church like that, Ravenwing. The pastor was VERY charasmatic and charming. But he smelled of snake oil and remined me of a very crooked used car salesman.

It was a multi-faith church and he was a full time Pastor. He had no other job but he had a brand new Cadillac and bought his wife a new navigator(plus the new house).

I tried to point these things out to my mother as prrof of his crokkedness...she wouldn't listen. the only thing that stopped her from going was that they moved an hour away from there.

Yes money does corrupt.

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-May-2004, 08:53 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Well, I grew up in the church...........the Catholic church. I spent the first 25 years of my life being a Catholic. Then I turned away completely from the church and started seeking the occult. I got really involved in astrology. Looked into Wicca but that was not for me. Then a few years later I came across some friends who were born again Christians and while at first I turned away from them, I was attracted to them too. They had something I did not. In the meantime, I read about many different religions.............but none seemed truth to me personally. I finally went to church with these friends of mine and it was really awesome. I started reading my Bible and searching for truth on my own and it went from there. Can't tell you an exact date, time or lightening bolt event when it happened, but I just kind of slowly but surely gave my life to the Lord. I figured Jesus was either who he said he was.............the Son of God..........or the craziest man on earth. I chose the former. smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 24-May-2004, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I was raised in the Christian faith. My mom was a preacher's daughter (not one of the bad ones wink.gif ) and my dad was in a travelling singing group. If the church doors were open, we were there. So Christianity is part and parcle of who I am.

There have been times when I have strayed. I once even considered converting to Wicca, but that was during a dark part of my life. And because of my emotional state at the time, the Wiccan belief in reincarnation just did NOT appeal to me! (My thoughts at the time were "I find it hard enough to believe that God or the gods or whoever is out there is cruel enough to make us go through this life once - much less make us do it again and again!" Obviously this was a VERY bad time in my life! I'm glad I came out of it relatively unscathed!) But even then I couldn't get past my Christian upbringing to really, seriously consider leaving the faith.

Anyways, two and half years ago I came back to God and as far as I'm concerned I'll never go back to who I was. I'm not that person anymore. And I've never been more happy in my life!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
freekenny 
Posted: 25-Jul-2004, 12:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo,
~Question: What Made You Who You Are?~
A strong sense of knowing who I am..a certaintity of what I am..a knowing that I am either accepted just as I am or rejected ..knowing that I do not need a title to live by nor a faith I have to claim in order to be a sincere, caring, honest, compassionate and trustworthy person...loving myself and loving others just as they are for this is true unconditonal love and acceptance~
I do not claim to be any particular faith nor do I partcipate in any particular religion..and no I am not what some may view as aetheist..I am of Native American culture and to defend, protect and respect Mother Earth and all that inhabit her is the peaceful and blessed life I have been honored to receive~ smile.gif These are the qualities that have made me who I am~ cool.gif
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
urian 
Posted: 02-Oct-2004, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

male

felt like bumping this one up...felt compelled

or maybe that was just gas unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
dbull 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 09:12 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

biggrin.gif You could say my story is not too much different then most peoples. I started out going to the eposipal Church until I was 10. After that my parients took me to the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church. That is where I learned about salvation. i basically lived the life as a carnal Christian until I was 24 when I was introduced to a non-denominational pentiscostal church. It really changed my thinking and my life. I literly feel as though I've come face to face with Christ or the Holy Spirit. To me it became tangable. All I did was let God do what he wanted to do. Sure I had my doubts prior to it but every day I thank God because he made himself real that day. I speak in tongues and I really believe that God wants EVERYONE and has a place for everyone. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

I was raised in a Catholic home. My family is VERY catholic. Until about a year ago I was too. I was theology major going to a catholic college and everything. But then I met a lot of overly-catholic people. People who condemned me to Hell to my face for watching Harry Potter, or something like that. We are on the same side but they believe I am going to Hell????? I met a lot of people who judge like there is no tomarrow. I met people who think that they are better than me cause I didn't go to daily mass. I met people who get away with the most horrible things and claim they are catholic. I met a lot of hypocrites.

I was pretty much turned off. I haven't been to mass or anything if forever. I don't know where I am right now in my faith. I want to believe that there is only one God and that their is a Heaven. I just don't know.

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
maryellen 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Do you really believe that those few people are in the Catholic majority? Our religion teacher in elementary school watches "Desperate Housewives." After going to Catholic school for nine years, participating in the Newman Center for 4 years, and teaching in a Catholic school, I have never met any of those people you mention above. To also add, I live in St. Louis -- quite a large Catholic population here.

The churches that made pamphlets against Harry Potter in our town were Protestant. (I know because there was only one Catholic church in the town, so that eliminated them)
Not that I agree with everything they say or do. But I have observed that every sect has their loonies and they make up less than 1% of the population. I am very sorry that you had very negative occasions with them. There are hypocrits in every religion; you can't run away from them but pray for them. And I do not believe that they "get away with it" because God sees everything. Just because you don't get "caught" does not mean that you will not be judged in the long run.

To respond to money can corrupt. Well, the people are corrupt. just like guns do not make you killers. Guns don't kill, people do. I have known several people that work at jobs they do not earn a lot of money, or they do not work at all. I have learned not judging people at face value. I learned that they received a large inheritance from their parents or grandparents. A second-grade teacher at our school has a husband who won $2 million playing the nickel slots. Just my two cents.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander_Medic 
  Posted: 27-Jan-2005, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

female

I was raised Roman Catholic although now I'm not so sure what to consider myself other than Christian. There are some things I don't like about the Catholic church and other things that I do like.

As an independent female I have a problem with the church not letting women become priests. I'm not sure I like the message that sends to young women about their place and value in society.

I'm young, so I figure as I get older I will figure out where religion fits into my life a little better. I do ponder this frequently, but as a student of science I also have many questions that faith alone just doesn't seem to answer right now.

It is interesting to read different people's views on religion and why exactly they choose to pray the way the do. I believe that all religions have a central message- to love God and to love eachother.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!

_Medic smile.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Moon Child 
Posted: 28-Jan-2005, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

When I was growing up my step-father use to take me and my brother to Christmas mass at a Catholic church which was alright but I never really had any interest in religion as I was growing up. I knew that there was more out there then I knew I just didn't know what at the time. My mom never went with us because when she was growing up her family didn't practice religion either and she basically let my brother and I decide on our own which religion we wanted.

Up until about 4 1/2 yrs ago when I found the Wiccan religion I felt lost. Since I have been practicing it has made me a better person all around and I found myself for the first time in years feeling complete and an all around better person. I finally for once knew my life's purpose that I had been asking myself for so long.

I love helping people and even seek to make myself a better person. I don't practice magic to harm anyone and never would. I just couldn't choose to harm another person for my own personal gain!

One thing that I have learnt since I started practising is that we are open minded to other people's religion even though other religion's aren't so open to mine. But hey that's fine everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and feelings about different religions! Not every religion works for everyone, and that's what makes us all individual and unique!!
cool.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Ivy 
Posted: 31-Jan-2005, 01:26 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

female

My family was a mix of Catholic and protestant. My parents took me to church- but I never really "felt" God. They tried just about every chuch that was around- to see which one I felt comfortable in, but I never found one. I decided that christianity wasn't for me, and I looked into many other religions, sudying their beliefs and rituals, but I did not really believe in God until I was given a gift one night. I was about 15 and I was in a very tight spot- 30 miles from home on an "unauthorized trip" at 3am with no ride home... and I found a pay phone. I had no quarters and knew no one I could call collect, and I looked up and said, "well God, here's your one shot to prove it to me that you exist." Nothing happened, so I slammed the phone down and a quarter dropped into the change return slot. From that point on I believed in God, but I didn't really worship God, I felt god but didn't pray to god. (If you know what I mean)
I think to find God, you can't look in religion, you have to have a personal experience that moves your soul. I personally think that everyone's version of God is right, even if your God doesn't look like My god. I hope that people who choose a god to follow really feel him or her or them (as the case may be). I think that the most important thing to remember is that the one thing that all gods in every religion or belief system say is to love each other, love the friend as the friend, love your enemy as your friend too.

Peace and Power

PS I'm a Pagan wink.gif but that's a different story
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]