Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Dreamer1 @ Feb 6 2004, 09:12 PM)
A question, then, about Tarot Decks. I've read conflicting opinions in several books about where your deck should come from. Some books say that a Deck should always be given to you, not purchased by the Reader(is that the right term for the person who uses the Deck?). Other books say you should buy several Decks for yourself, and use them according to which feels right for the situation. unsure.gif What have you all found to be true?

Thanks,
Dreamer1

I think it really depends on the individual. And I too have read those same things over the years.
I have bought several, and had a few given to me. They all work about the same. Some seem to be a little less 'revealing' than others... but, for the most part they all are good to me.
And to comment on Angel's comment of sleeping with your deck before you use it... I have to agree.... I know it sounds a bit odd. But it really helps with the getting to know the cards and visa versa....

The decks I use are-
Aliester Crowley Thoth deck (ALWAYS intence readings...kindda the big guns, so to speak)
The Witches Tarot ( by Llewelyn pub.)
Celtic Shaman ( this was a gift..only used it a couple times...it's just ok)
Faerie tarot ( Brian Froud ... nice deck, great feeling, beautiful artwork....nice deck)
There are a few more... that I haven't used in some time.... that are slipping past my mind right now...

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 10:30 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Ok, I just bought a used tarot deck from half.com for JaneyMae. Owned by a little old gypsy from Pasadena who only drove it on Sundays. biggrin.gif

jester.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 10-Feb-2004, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Thanks Barddas. I've seen some beautiful decks, and some that were unfamiliar but intriguing and have been reluctant to buy any for myself. Partly due to what I've read, but also partly because I'm nervous about the whole thing. (Must go back to experiences with Ouiga boards unsure.gif ). I'll have a bit more confidence now that I have some idea of which Decks to watch for.

Thinking about this, though, brings me back to the Question--how do you know if you'll have the gift for this? I certainly don't feel as if I have any special talent/ability for these things, but a friend told me she didn't either until she tried it. I guess I'll have to try.

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Dreamer1 
Posted: 10-Feb-2004, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Ooops! Raven Wing, I'm sorry. I missed your post somehow. oops.gif
(I hate it when I do that!) Thanks for answering my question, too. It seems general consensus is that what matters is really the Decks themselves, not the way in which you get them.

Thanks!
Dreamer1
barddas 
Posted: 10-Feb-2004, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Dreamer1 @ Feb 10 2004, 12:43 PM)
. I'll have a bit more confidence now that I have some idea of which Decks to watch for.

Thinking about this, though, brings me back to the Question--how do you know if you'll have the gift for this? I certainly don't feel as if I have any special talent/ability for these things, but a friend told me she didn't either until she tried it. I guess I'll have to try.

Dreamer1

I *personally* wouldn't say it is a gift. But using the tools that are put before you. And practice makes perfect! And some decks you might get, just might not be the one for you.....It's real trial and error with that. Choose one that 'calls' to you. Or that you find beautiful, or have some sort of connection to. *OR* go to your local tarot store and close yer eyes and run yer hands over them.... Which ever one 'feels' the best... take it home.....

There are far more difficult ways of divination, that require 'natural talent' or being 'gifted'. I find this to be a good stepping stoone for anyone interested in divination.....
PMEmail Poster                
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 10-Feb-2004, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Feb 9 2004, 10:30 PM)
Ok, I just bought a used tarot deck from half.com for JaneyMae. Owned by a little old gypsy from Pasadena who only drove it on Sundays. biggrin.gif

jester.gif

Thank you, Maisky!! I don't believe in purchasing cards for myself as my mom said they needed to come from someone who knows you and cares. Now, when I find my other errant deck, I'll have two. Can hardly wait for the new deck.

A little ol' gypsie from Pasadena? Farm out!!

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 17-Feb-2004, 02:06 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

I find that when recieving pentacles and such that the fired thing holds true but I prefer to purchase cards that have never been used by anyone, I don't have to fight with the previous persons energies.

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
JaneyMae 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

My old deck resurfaced and have read with both. Seems to be pretty close to the same. I read mine several times to try to get my technique back. Kept fortelling of pain for me. I fell down the stairs the next day. Back in my hinged knee brace. Now I remember why I quit reading.
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

That is why I never read for myself.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I won't be readin' mine again. I'll read my dogs or my daughters from afar.
3Ravens 
Posted: 22-Feb-2004, 12:07 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

I started out with a "standard" Rider-Waite deck. That's all that I could find back in the "old days"! tongue.gif My favorite right now is a Native American themed one, although I expect it is more new age than true native american. wink.gif
What works best for me and what I use the most is a set of goddess runes I made myself. I made them from sea pebbles.
However, my ability to predict when someone will get pregnant, and my ability to determine the sex of a baby don't seem to need any "helpers" at all! biggrin.gif
I was told that it is OK to ask for guidance for yourself, but you should not try to find out your own future.

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
Posted: 22-Feb-2004, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (3Ravens @ Feb 22 2004, 12:07 AM)
I started out with a "standard" Rider-Waite deck. That's all that I could find back in the "old days"! tongue.gif My favorite right now is a Native American themed one, although I expect it is more new age than true native american. wink.gif
What works best for me and what I use the most is a set of goddess runes I made myself. I made them from sea pebbles.
However, my ability to predict when someone will get pregnant, and my ability to determine the sex of a baby don't seem to need any "helpers" at all! biggrin.gif
I was told that it is OK to ask for guidance for yourself, but you should not try to find out your own future.

I am using the "standard" Rider-Waite deck that were my mom's. (think I've said that). I have so wanted to get into Runes but have hesitated until I have some really good alone time to concentrate. My alone time is limited right now. I've found a talent in water divination. Has come in hand a time or two. My dad taught me that one. Just use a metal coat hanger. Funny. Also passed the knowing when the phone is going to ring and who's there is something I've passed on to my daughter.

note.gif
Dreamer1 
Posted: 07-Mar-2004, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Feb 22 2004, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (3Ravens @ Feb 22 2004, 12:07 AM)

I am using the "standard" Rider-Waite deck that were my mom's. (think I've said that). I have so wanted to get into Runes but have hesitated until I have some really good alone time to concentrate. My alone time is limited right now. I've found a talent in water divination. Has come in hand a time or two. My dad taught me that one. Just use a metal coat hanger. Funny. Also passed the knowing when the phone is going to ring and who's there is something I've passed on to my daughter.

note.gif

JaneyMae,

My dad used to do that when he was a boy, quite often I think, but he said he stopped because it made his parents uncomfortable and spooked the friends who'd called! People didn't understand it, and didn't know what to think of Dad. I can just imagine the mixture of reactions that would've resulted from Dad's ability. I don't know if he still has that gift, and just refrains from using it, or if he's somehow completely shut it down. I'll have to ask him about it. He has also had premonitions occasionally, and one in particular saved his life when I was a baby. He changed his travel plans, literally at the last minute, from taking a plane to taking a bus instead. During that overnight bus trip he had a nightmare about the plane going down-woke the whole bus up screaming about the crash-headlines the next morning in the papers proved it to be true, no survivors.

I agree with Maisky. These Gifts are quite a mixed blessing.

Dreamer1
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 11-Mar-2004, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

QUOTE (Dreamer1 @ Feb 10 2004, 11:43 AM)

Dreamer1

It's Kinda like using a hammer, the first couple of swings ya might miss but, as you use it, The more confident you get in your ability, the more you hit the nail directly on the head.
PMEmail Poster                
peckery 
Posted: 11-Mar-2004, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Bicycle puts out a nice tatot deck........... king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]