WizardofOwls 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Does anyone remember a Celtic group from Nova Scotia called Kilt? They were wonderful! Unfortuantely they are no longer around. But they came to Virginia once and played at the Radford Highlander Festival. yhey blew the crowd here away! They had a song called Rubber Boots that I believe was nominated for several awards in Canada.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Magdalane 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

female

Sorry to pop in here but I thought I'd pass on that this dude I know has traveled all over and he told me the prettiest place he's ever been was Nova Scotia. Gotta check it out sometime.
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 05-Jan-2005, 09:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (WizardofOwls @ 04-Jan-2005, 11:33 AM)
Does anyone remember a Celtic group from Nova Scotia called Kilt? They were wonderful! Unfortuantely they are no longer around. But they came to Virginia once and played at the Radford Highlander Festival. yhey blew the crowd here away! They had a song called Rubber Boots that I believe was nominated for several awards in Canada.

user posted image

http://www.freds.nf.ca/artists/Kilt.html

Homepage: http://www.kilt.ca/ It didn't work for me. It was down.

Founded on three East Coast traditions??.. Music, Dancing, and Having a Good Time.Halifax based Kilt consists of five very talented and energetic musicians who are certainly on the rise. Kilt is lead by lead vocalist Tony Ronalds, Brennan MacDonald, Bonnie Jean MacDonald, Brian Buckle and Scott MacFarlane. They have been tearing up towns across the country and their Four In The Crib "" is guaranteed to receive rave reviews with their fans alike. Lead vocalist Tony Ronalds performs with a steady baritone voice, offering a selection of celtic influenced originals. The mix of mandolin, acoustic guitar, tin whistles, fiddle and drums add a distinctive aggressive sound. Kilt has bounce!!!! Whether or not you know their music, you clap and sing along?.. Kilt is fun ! With enough wit & satire, this group is sure to make your evening an entertaining one!!!
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 05-Jan-2005, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

YUP! Them's the ones! I don't think their site is around anymore. Once they broke up, they fell apart, which is a shame because they were so good! If you can ever find a copy of it, the song Rubber Boots is just SO GOOD!

Thanks for the info Mike!
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 08-Jan-2005, 09:11 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

I just tried to find Rubber Boots to preview the song, but I had no luck....I'm bummed!

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 08-Jan-2005, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

OH MY HEAVENS!

This is just too cool!

I was just looking around the net trying to find some in info on Kilt and I found a 50 minute concert video of them! And what's REALLY cool is it was filmed the day after I saw them in Radford VA at the Radford Highlanders Festival! Check it out, it is just too cool! I haven't got to listen to the whole thing yet so I don't know if they perform Rubber Boots. anyway, here's the address:

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/mil..._id=KILTKILTKI#

ENJOY!
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 09-Jan-2005, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Well, I listened to the entire thing last night, and I am sorry to say that they do not perform Rubber Boots, but the concert is still worthy of a listen!
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 09-Jan-2005, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

male

Well, I could here it just fine. But I couldn't hardly see a thing with the quality of my realplayer, just blurry things jumping around! I'm bummed....
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 09-Jan-2005, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

But what did you think of the music? Did you like it?
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 20-Jan-2005, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

male

Ya, the music I liked! I think I should get a CD or something of theres...Amazon or ebay...here I come!?!?!
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
  Posted: 19-Apr-2005, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

I'd say Nova Scotia is the MOST BEAUTIFUL place on the face of the globe and YES I've been many places to compair. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Far be it for me to argue. laugh.gif But, there is a bias there.

user posted image

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Viriato 
Posted: 08-Jun-2005, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: In a boat in the North Hebrides

male

I do deeply apologize for daring to post-reply in a place that it no of my business.

It's just that I need some help top plan a voyage to your area and I need advise.

I'll be quick...

First, my real name is Tino and I live the 10% in Hastings, East Sussex, England, and about a 80% in the Hebrides, Alba, in a boat. I've just changes the 12m sloop for a 15m ketch and I'm planning to do the tour of the Atlantic next year. I've sailing a lot around Norway, Finland, Sweden and Iceland. And, of course, Alba, Eire and Cymru.

Now my idea is to start for greenland and from there to Newfoundland, Terra Nova, Terre-Neuve or whatever you call it.

I am very much interested in any signs, remains, sites, documents or anything that could constitute a proof that someone else was there from Europe before than that Venetian called Cristobolo Colombo -or Columbus as I think you say- and his band of Castillian river ducks. There are legends in Galiza that the Vikings, Norsk, Basque, Celts and even Berbers and Portuguese fishermans were there long before.

The second thing is tips in good isolated beautiful moorings -I mean where I can moor in the wild without breaking the law- like the Alba lochs.

What about the laws for foreign yachts arrivals? I will be showing the Alba and Galiza flags.

You can answer in English or French, I don't mind. I'll answer in the language of your choice so far is Spanish, English, Portuguese, French, Italian or Russian.

Ta in advance.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Tino, àn Gaileach

"It is better Honour without ships than ships without Honour"
- Admiral Méndez Núñez
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 08-Jun-2005, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Well, Newfoundland has our only real sites that prove the Vikings built long-houses on this side. As far as I know, at any rate. I'll try to find you some information on tours, or sites you can visit.

As for mooring, I'm not sure what you mean. A place to dock the boat? As far as I know, that's legal at any public port. Keltic would know more about this, as he spent much time on the atlantic.

Just be sure you don't come to the Maritimes without seeing Nova Scotia (Nouvelle Ecosse). And on your trip from Newfoundland to the mainland, you may be interested in visiting France. biggrin.gif There are two small islands off the west coast of Newfoundland (southern) called St. Pierre and Miquellon, which are still a part of France. As far as I know, the only American land remaining north of the Caribean where the people are still loyal to France.
PMEmail Poster               
Viriato 
Posted: 08-Jun-2005, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: In a boat in the North Hebrides

male

Saint Pierre et Miquellon! Not a chance I'm going to miss that...

YES! I knew it! Vikings were first... Oooh, yes! As much information as you can find.

"Il signore Colombo" was as much of a navigator as me the Archbishop of Canterbury. He knew that "that" land was there because he did steal a map from a dying Portuguese fisherman in Madeira but he thought that it was Catai or Cipango (the actual China and Japan) that at that time were called in a collective way "Indias", so he thought that he had arrived to the "Indias" therefore he named "indios" (indians) to the people he found in the new land. He was a useless b***ard!

I have the book called "The log of Chistopher Columbus" and if you see the entries you need a bucket. A monkey could do it better. The brothers Pinzón, captains of the other two ships, were miles away better than him.

You dock in a harbour but you moor in the middle of nowhere by just dropping the anchor/anchors. I don't like crowded marinas full of Sunday sailors. So I don't know how happy the Canadian authorities are with people mooring without control.

I love nature and my best friends in the loch are the seals, dolphins, puffins and seagulls. (And an old albatross that I don't know what the hell is doing that far North. He lost the bearings and got hooked in my boat. Poor soul!)

Any way! That's what I am looking for: Places to visit specially the ones off the bitten truck. Yes, I want to see the typically touristy places (Halifax at most), but even more places that are stunningly beautiful and nobody normally see.

And "bien sure" all the original Celt settlements.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]