Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Religious Debate
scottish2 
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 04:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

I have set this up temporarily until Paul can set up a Specific topic category for this. If you are interested in moderating a Religious Debate area please contact Macfive. Though I will leave that ultimately up to him if he wants to have this topic on the forum.
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

ok, I will get this started.

tongue.gif

What makes one religious/spiritual? Going to church, temple, sacred space etc...? Are they one in the same? If someone is a kind, caring, thoughtful and the helping type person, and happens to believe in "whatever" , but never goes to a church, temple etc...is that not considered religious?

Thoughts????

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

For me, it is not the pomp and circumstance. It is living it. I see the world as a huge creation of Diety, be it GOD, Cernunnos, Shiva, Isis whatever. Really when it is boiled down they are all the same.BASICALLY.
If I spend my life trying to better myself, repect others and ALL creatures on this big blue ball, and enjoy life. I think I have lived a good, well rounded life. And in my eyes, everything living is ( enter diety of coice here) creation. and if I am midful and respectful of that, I need not worry about my "afterlife"......
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

In my opinion it does. I do not care if they go to some kind of Physical Place of Worship. I believe it is what's in that person spirit.

I have known people who are Christians and act very un-Christianly and I have known Non-Christians who have acted more Christianly. I have also met Atheist who are kinder and more respectful than either or.

I can not judge a person for what they believe or not believe in. It is their spirit that I look at. I believe in one rule. And that is "DO NO HARM". If I was to go into detail of what I have just said. Than I am no better than anyone else pushing their belief onto others. I tell no one how to believe and I do not want them telling me.

I usually say "May you walk in balance with Creator", but I think from here on, I will say "May you walk in balance." Hopefully nobody can be offended by that.

Most Wars are started in the name of Religion. Let us not go that far.

May you walk in balance.
Richard

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
3Ravens 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

For me, spirituality is respect(for the earth, yourself, and others), action(live so that others can see your belief in your actions), and intent(the reasoning behind it all) All spiritualities are facets of the same jewel, so unless it causes harm or is forced on others, we should respect others beliefs.
The hardest part part of spirituality for me is living with intent, living in the now, what the Christians call living life as a prayer. Great stretches of time go by, and then I realize I've been on autopilot!

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

Personally, I don't need to visit a building to express my spirituality. I am much happier being out in nature.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 12-Oct-2003, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

In Christian philosophy, it is very clear that it is your faith and not your works that really count. So, going to church, synagogue etc., helping others do not help unless one has faith.
Although, one would I guess think that your faith would lead to good works, and good works do not necessarily bring faith. make sense? That basic "faith and not works" could apply to any religion.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ Oct 12 2003, 06:30 PM)
In Christian philosophy, it is very clear that it is your faith and not your works that really count. So, going to church, synagogue etc., helping others do not help unless one has faith.
Although, one would I guess think that your faith would lead to good works, and good works do not necessarily bring faith. make sense? That basic "faith and not works" could apply to any religion.

I have abstained from posting here because I see it as a redundancy of other topic areas! Until now.

I do not see a need for an area to debate religion, religion to one commited to that religion is a mog point and not debatable!

Why do you think that only your religion requires faith??
Mine does too!

The god of Abraham gave down 10 comandments, not the several thousand that have evolved with every new interpretation of "what god wants"

If one lives by those 10 they in no way can be considered offensive to that god.

I will state again, one's beliefs are between them and their god and not open to critisism or condemnation to your hell because one does not believe as you!

Even your religion states that your god is a forgiving god....

If you want to discuss the different beliefs here then do so , but do not turn it into a debate.

My convictions are as sound as yours, I respect yours and do not condem you for your beliefs, I also do not put down your beliefs as unfounded... you need to expand your train of thought to cover all and not be so closed minded...

Religion is personal and not secular!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
maryellen 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

I simply stated the fact of one philosophy, same as everyone else has posted in this forum and answered the forum question. Just because it is one view does not invite ranting. This is called discussing and because it is not mainstream here does not make it "debate". I never went to anyone's house and held a gun to their head and told them to convert. Every time something non-liberal is mentioned I see someone pounding on them and making a broad generalization personal.
We could even start another thread: Is religion debatable? however, I didn't find it a question yet, here.

If you want to discuss the different beliefs here then do so , but do not turn it into a debate.

Isn't the forum called: "Religious Debate"?
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Shawdows I agree with Maryellen she was just talking about one religion and she never said anything regarding other religions this does not mean she thinks only her religion is right just means she was talking specifically about her chosen religion.

And I set this topic up for debate because there seem to be a need for a protected topic on it as there seemed to be some debate going on in the open forum which was getting a little out of hand. As moderator I set it up so folks could debate should they wish. If you don't want to debate then you have the choice of not participating in this debate thread there is a forum in the open board for general spiritual discussion. By posting here you agree to the topic being discussed or in this case debated.

Debate is there to discuss issues and try and persuid others to change their views. For instance how do you know your chosen religion is the right religion?

My personal view of religion is that 2000 years ago we were visited by beings from another plantet and to our ancestors who had never seen cars or planes or anything like we have today would think these beings to be gods as they would obviously be far superior to our ancestors of 2000 years ago. That's my 2 cents on religion, but how can you know if I am right or wrong. All any religion has is the words of the past and how do you kow the words you read today are the same words written so long ago. Stories tend to have a life of their own and 2000 years later who knows if what you read today is the way it really happened.

Ok that's my 2 cents.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

You just aided my point!

I asked questions and debated what was quoted, the questions were not answered and now I am being accused of not playing by the rules, debates have many sides!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
scottish2 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 06:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Shadows @ Oct 13 2003, 03:31 PM)
Why do you think that only your religion requires faith??
Mine does too!

No you clearly questioned her comments with the quoted comments above. She was refering to just one religion but on no way excluded other religions waqs just her comments on one specific religion.

I personally could careless about religious debate but came in to see what was happening and your comments were trying to say she was saying more then she said. dry.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Clearly, the use of the words "you" and "your" are personal. So is the use of "I" and "mine." Hence, they are actually called personal pronouns. The disclaimer clearly states "no personal attacks or flaming." The questions were not answered because 1, you have only one interrogative statement, not more than one 2, insulting me of being "close-minded." I am the only one singled out, out of all the responders. interesting.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Ok this is getting into English I am backing out before I put my foot in my mouth LOL laugh.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Yes. English and religion shouldn't mix. Back to the religion debate.

What is religious? Obviously, there are some people that claim to be religious and do not act like it, then some that don't claim to be, but act better than the "religious."
Many good questions have come from this thread.
For instance how do you know your chosen religion is the right religion?
Should you just need faith, or do you need act "good" too?
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]