Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> This Weekend, What do you have going on?
McHaggis 
Posted: 16-Oct-2003, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pismo Beach on theCentral California Coast

male

Sounds like fun, Bardass......I used to live on the Upper Mississippi and got heavy into steamboats. I DO miss The River! (When it's not humid or freezing cold).

Out here it's all about Harbor Festivals, Clam Festivals and the like. I think Friday night I'm going to a marching band field competition.......it's not gonna be as in your face as drum corps, but I'm curious as to what is being taught re: field shows. I'll just have to put up with the squeakier instruments.....like woodwinds.

Brass is best!
RON

--------------------
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT"

"...A bonnie lass I will confess,
Is pleasant to the e'e,
But without some better qualities
She's no lass for me...."

(From "O Once I Lov'd" - Robert Burns)

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make." --J.M. BARRIE (1860-1937)
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 16-Oct-2003, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (McHaggis @ Oct 16 2003, 11:12 AM)
Out here it's all about Harbor Festivals, Clam Festivals and the like.  I think Friday night I'm going to a marching band field competition.......it's not gonna be as in your face as drum corps, but I'm curious as to what is being taught re: field shows. I'll just have to put up with the squeakier instruments.....like woodwinds.

Brass is best!
RON

You, me, and John Phillip Sousa share the same opinion biggrin.gif !!!

What instrument did you play?

I played in the band in school. I was a baritonist/tubist.

I kind of have an idea about how those kids in the drum & bugle corps bust their rear ends. I played two summers in a summer marching band that was a combination of volunteers from two area high school bands-the Brother Rice/Mother McAuley band and the St. Laurence/Queen of Peace band (we had the same director). At the competitions we participated in, I carried around a 30 lb. brass Sousaphone for our 10 minute program. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it.

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 16-Oct-2003, 03:40 PM

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MDF3530 
Posted: 17-Oct-2003, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Today, I went down to the Loop (downtown Chicago) to seek employment opportunities. I applied at a high-end hotel (The Four Seasons), then I went to Water Tower Place (a high-end mall nearby) and applied at Marshall Field's and Lord & Taylor. The only thing I could afford at the mall was lunch at McDonalds. I used public transportation to get down there. That is much better than driving. The rates the parking garages charge down in the Loop, I have two words:

HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 17-Oct-2003, 03:28 PM
McHaggis 
Posted: 17-Oct-2003, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Mike, I was a lower brass player, too. Tenor trombone in high school and a couple of college bands and baritone bugle in drum corps. I was the 1966 California State Open Baritone Individuals champ and also placed 4th in National Competition that year. (I can play a lot of instruments, some better than others.)

I'm mostly out of show biz these days, though. I just went "other directions" in life about 1975, but still occasionally do arrangements for brass and, well, other instruments, too. I've played rock bands, jazz bands, even had a few gigs as a fingerpicking guitar player ala Blind Blake and Rev. Gary Davis and Blind Willie McTell, that kind of stuff......had a way cool double-breasted Dick Tracy suit, two tone kicks and a fedora.......old girlfriend named me "Ragtime Daddy." Now I play pennywhistle, didg, whatever I can get my hands on.

Re: your trip to Da Loop......reminds me of that old Steve Goodman song about "The Lincoln Park Pirates!"

When next summer comes be sure to go out and see the Royal Airs Senior Drum Corps and Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment and all those other sweet Midwestern organizations.....and of course THE KILTIES SR. CORPS out of Racine.

RON
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 17-Oct-2003, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (McHaggis @ Oct 17 2003, 05:12 PM)
Mike, I was a lower brass player, too. Tenor trombone in high school and a couple of college bands and baritone bugle in drum corps. I was the 1966 California State Open Baritone Individuals champ and also placed 4th in National Competition that year. (I can play a lot of instruments, some better than others.)

When next summer comes be sure to go out and see the Royal Airs Senior Drum Corps and Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment and all those other sweet Midwestern organizations.....and of course THE KILTIES SR. CORPS out of Racine.

RON

If you were a baritonist, then there's a good chance you could play tuba too. I found the transition to be very smooth. The fingering is the same. I just had to get used to reading music an octave lower.

I try to get out and see the drum & bugle corps play. I love watching Phantom, Cavaliers and Santa Clara Vanguard. When I was in high school, one of my bandmates (the director's daughter) tried out for Phantom Regiment (Cavaliers is all-male). I don't know if she made it or not, but if she did, it was probably because of her grandfather, who was a very well-respected bandleader/music teacher in Illinois. Sinatra used to hire him when he'd appear in Chicago. She was an ok player but not good enough to get in on her own.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 17-Oct-2003, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I'm leaving tomorrow (5a.m.) and headed down south to North Carolina to do some genealogy. Gonna search my Cherokee roots.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
ranger 
Posted: 18-Oct-2003, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

Wife working, me babysitting, yard work and house work to be done...Same o' same o'..... tongue.gif

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 18-Oct-2003, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

I have one Major plan for this weekend. NOTHING sleep1.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
McHaggis 
Posted: 18-Oct-2003, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Mike, actually I am NOT a good tuba player.....my embrochure is not suited for the bigger mouthpieces.....I'm better going the other way into the mid voices (mellophone and flugelhorn) but don't have the chops to sustain lead trumpet work....I leave that to the diva-ates.

I'm sure you've heard the Tubas from Hell CD, eh?

RON
PMEmail Poster               
Herrerano 
Posted: 18-Oct-2003, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

Tomorrow, 19 October, is one of the biggest celebrations out here. A big parade that lasts usually four hours or longer winding through the streets, lots of beer, crowds of people, a rodeo Panama style with one of the funniest bullfights you could see anywhere (here it is a bull tease, more than a fight, and the bull gets to go home at the end of the day to keep procreating). In the night a dance with 'tipico' music, sort of the Panamanian version of country, but the dancing is a lot sexier then boot stompin' boogy. All in all a pretty big day and a lot of fun. Here in this part of the country this will kick off the patriotic celebrations that go on til the end of November. The 3rd of November is Panama's centenial celebration, 100 years ago it seperated from Colombia to became an independent country (and start it's love/hate relationship with the U.S.). Then the 10th is another patriotic holiday to celebrate the first call for freedom from Spain in 1821. And then the independence from Spain day is celebrated on the 28th of November. Lots of days off.

If anyone is interested in seeing pictures of the celebration in Chitré from the last couple of years, Click here., there are four pages of pictures on that topic.

Leo, who knows this has nothing to do with celtic stuff, except I live here.

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail Poster               
3Ravens 
Posted: 18-Oct-2003, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

This morning slept late sleep1.gif This afternoon started a batch of mead. This is the first time I've done this....hope I don't blow up the house! Tonight going to a contra dance, yahoo!

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 18-Oct-2003, 11:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Went to Borger to do my shopping for 2 weeks. Needed beer_mug.gif . Nothing planned tomorrow...Start a weeks vacation on Wednesday. clap.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 19-Oct-2003, 06:48 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Have fun on your vacation, valpal 59! Everyone needs a break from the same old same old.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
tartangal 
Posted: 19-Oct-2003, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

QUEEN OF SCOTLAND
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Glasgow, Scotland

female

I have been on nightshift all weekend.So my weekend has consisted of going to work and going to bed! sleep1.gif ( oh, and washing bums!! biggrin.gif )

--------------------
Jules

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.
Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)
PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 19-Oct-2003, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

Hello all ..
Went on a train ride to see the fall folliage in Oilcity PA yesterday,,
It was interesting, and I was amazed to see the crowd !
They run a few trips a day.. and every car was packed, the open car was allways too crowded to even get out to snap a pic ..
It was interesting.. but a long drive. so today.. just trolling this board , and listening to the great sounds !

Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]