Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Croeso I Gymru, Mutations...and grammar!
Siarls 
Posted: 07-May-2005, 03:59 PM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

By the way, Gwenynen. I need to do research on your question about that grammatical note on soft mutation. I spoke with some friends and we were all very disputed over why.
I thought it may have been because the were the subjects of a concise verb clause and that's why I wanted to see the sentences. Don't worry about this yet. Only when you want to start writing essays and books, or feel like a grammatical challenge. The website www.verbix.com will come in handy when you want to tackle concise verb conjugation!

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 07-May-2005, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

Diolch, Siarls. I'll take your advice!

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

In the meantine, use www.verbix.com to conjugate the verb bod because you know how crucial this verb is.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

It's a neat website. My computer is MAC so I can't use the Window items. They say the on-line conjugator is under construction so there may be mistakes. Have you found any?
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

I haven't actually used it properly yet. (No need, of course!!). But I came across it while trying to conjugate Italian verbs. It was wonderful for Italian, so I presumed it would be for Welsh. I will check it with my class notes. Although, at first glance - I never knew Welsh had a subjunctive and it doesn't include the amhersonol.
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 11-May-2005, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Well, actually, it looks like verbix is going to be very comprehensive and a great source, but for the time being - wait til it's fully constructed. It's present tense for the verb bod was in fact the future tense, meanwhile - they haven't conjugated the present tense yet. The other tenses demonstrated were very literal... very advanced indeed, even for me.
We'll keep our eyes on it, though.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 11-May-2005, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I'm so relieved to hear the site is very advanced even for you. In fact, I've never seen many of the variations. I was scared!

I use BBC Wales Learn Welsh for conjugations and dictionary help. I'm assuming they are correct.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

I am hoping that eventually you'll be able to progress to a very literary and Eisteddfodly level, Gwenynen. These conjugations in verbix feel like something out of Lord of the Rings. The true Elvish. It's a shame that modern Welsh has lost a lot of its originality, like you were saying about speakers now saying yn cynnwys e rather than the more elegant form yn ei gynnwys ef.

I am sure BBC Learn Welsh is fine. It's something I suggest to people but haven't researched yet. But I found the Learn Gaelic to be quite difficult. Have you tried http://www.bbc.co.uk/colinandcumberland ?
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Eisteddfodly level! I don't know if I'll live long enough to reach there!

Cumberland doesn't work with MAC.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

You will. Many prize winners at the Eisteddfod are not native to Welsh. Gwenynen Gwent herself, for example.

One day, you will understand Welsh with such finesse , you will outdo most natives. I'm sure you will impress yourself with a letter. Try translating your CV into Welsh!
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

But she was born in Wales.

Of course I want to learn more Welsh and become reasonably fluent because I love Wales and her language. I'm willing to work hard. My difficulty comes from haveing no access to face-to- face contact with Welsh speakers or learners. I've been learning by whatever the method or program which seem good. I often take detours, but they are by no means useless.

OK. When I win the National Eisteddfod in the learners' category one day and am interviewd, I'll say I owe my accomplishment to Siarls Wilson who inspired me to aim high! smile.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

But Welsh was not her first language, was it? If I have a confession, Welsh is not my first language. I did not speak Welsh fluently until I moved to Wales 10 years ago. It may not be quite the same thing, seen as I was about 11 when I moved to Wales, but nonetheless... officially, you cannot say that Welsh is my first language!

There is a learner's tent actually. Pabell y Dysgwyr. I worked one day in there last year. Seen as I'm a Welsh tutor, I thought I'd give it a go! I love tutoring Welsh.

Have you ever spoken face-to-face with a Welsh speaker? How did you find it?

Do you have any other queries/difficulties with the Welsh language you'd like me to clarify?
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Since she was born in Wales, I assumed she grew up speaking it. I re-checked her Society site but there was no mention of it

Even if Welsh isn't your first language, you're fluent now. Siarls, you're so good. All the learners of any languages need someone like you.

A dweud y gwir (I have to impress this into my brain,) I've never talked to any Welsh speakers face-to-face nor on the phone. There is simply no one who is interested in Welsh around here.

Woops, I hear a thunder now. I have to quit the computer. Hwyl am y tro.
PMEmail Poster                
gwenynen 
Posted: 14-May-2005, 10:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

That was a powerful thunderstorm! I still had to go pick up my daughter at her work when it was pouring late at night. I could hardly see the road.

I'm continuing my last post. I'd like to ask you further about where to put stress in words but I'll post in Lessons in Welsh to avoid mixing up threads.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 15-May-2005, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

We had a strange thunderstorm last week. My house faces west and the night was clear, but across Carmarthenshire, not far away, there was lightening that was lighting up the sky. It was constantly flashing, but there wasn't a sound! It was deadly silent above my house. I drove home in it, but because of the silence, I thought it was laser lights from England. (Swansea is now and again subject to powerful laser light displays from Devon!)
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]