Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Who Would Rather To Build Computer Himself/herself, 100% customized!!!
Bookmark and Share
Aaediwen 
Posted: 20-Apr-2004, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

AMD All the way! =)

I don't have anything against Intel, but I like AMD better =)

As for compatability, I have to disagree about getting (or at least using) on-board hardware. It's not as bad as it used to be though. Used to be you had to jump through hoops if you wanted to upgrade from what was on-board, and they rarely put decent hardware there. Anymore I am seeing decent hardware built into MB's and it's easy enough to disable in CMOS if you want to upgrade, although I still feel more comfortable knowing I won't have to sacrifice something to upgrade video or sound later.

I avoid on-board video and sound like the plauge for this reason. LAN isn't too bad, as I have yet to see a reason to upgrade beyond what is on most boards. IDE, USB, and Legacy ports are pretty standard...

as for other compatability, best to try and match up the alphabet soup =) Easy enough to do with add on cards, since PCI is pretty much the lone standard atm, with some up-and-comming new ones, so it's just a matter of getting good hardware. Creative, ATI, Nvidia... As for motherboards, I like Gigabyte and ASUS for the first pics. The Shuttle MB in my testbox seems to be working just fine too.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
mingkee 
Posted: 20-Apr-2004, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

a Chinese Celt
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

I am so interested on AMD...
of course, good price to buy performance
nf2 for almost out of date Athlon XP works like charm
make sure you have a pair of same RAM, in order to run 2ch, it really helps (esp for onboard gf4, it can even reach 440MX performance)
but I'd get AIW 9800 later, make a little xpc like a digital VCR

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
gandster 
Posted: 23-Apr-2004, 09:47 PM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

male

Rofl!! i played realm on a p-166 for 4 years(on dailup!!) and found every tweak and third party software there was till i got cable ...then had to find third party software to tweak the 200kbs/ to 1.5 mbs....even though my isp swears they upgraded there severs to 3.0mbs...(shakes head) sad.gif
Just remeber to reset all the jumpers on your hardware to master prior to adding anything else.. (add a cd-burner in an empty slot /w a cd-rom ya need to change the burner over to slave/master as compared to cable ...set by default via Dell...provided ya have only 2 IDE plugs on the motherboard and are running both off a dual cable sad.gif
onboard should be just no-existent...its a lag eating monster....if you have the agp/pci slots spend the couple bucks and run vid/sound off of those biggrin.gif

gandster

--------------------
Described as "bagpipes with an attitude," the energy and vitality
that Wolfstone brings to the stage is infectious; their audiences
are often brought to their collective feet with the opening notes
of the first tune.
Wolfstone and Mark saul in concert together..theres 1 heck of a shindig !!

i consider myself a sensitive inteligent fellow with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most crucial moment"..
PMEmail Poster               
VetteGal 
Posted: 25-Apr-2004, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Des Plaines, Illinois

female

Hi,
Just thought I would chime in on this thread as I have built two computers myself. The first one was a gamer computer which over time was not fast enough so I gave it to my brother who uses it for his business and the internet. My second one was really a kicker. Best of everything at the time (2002). Still kicks though! I will just upgrade on this one. Just replaced the CPU heatsink yesterday and added more DDR RAM. Have a 60GB HD, 1GB DDR RAM, 48x burner, DVD, AMD XP 2100+, Sound Blaster Platinum Live sound card, and also just change video card to a ATi Sapphire 9100 128. I play a lot of flight sims and games like Age of Emipres. Running Windows XP home. My next upgrade will be to change out the DVD and the burner. I personally would never buy another store bought computer after having these. You can mix and match components better than any brand can. There is just no comparison.

--------------------
Blessed Be.

Merry meet, merry part, merry meet again.

Do as ye will, but harm ye none.

Nikki
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt