Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Televangelists, Who are your favorites?
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 05-May-2004, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Personally, I like Creflo Dollar, Joyce Meyer and Perry Stone. My wife likes Jesse Duplantis, Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar. Who are your favorites?

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 05-May-2004, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I can't stand any of those false prophets.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 06-May-2004, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hey Mike!

Thanks for your opinion I'm truly sorry that you feel this way. But don't you feel that classing them ALL together in the group "false prophets" is just a little unfair and judgemental? unsure.gif
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 06-May-2004, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

I really don't watch Televangelists, but when I'm flipping through the channels and stumble upon Dr. Fredrick Price or Dr. D. James Kennedy I will stop and listen to what they have to say. They "teach" more than "preach".

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
tsargent62 
Posted: 07-May-2004, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

I don't think we can lump them all together, but I think a lot of them are more out for the money that to actually to the Lord's work. Oral Robert's is my example. He built a university and named it after himself. Then, he said the Lord came to him and said if he didn't raise a million dollars for his ministry he'd "bring him home". I couldn't believe people bought that! Isn't "going home" what all us Christians strive for? Why would God himself speak to Roberts and threaten him for not raising enough money? I know I shouldn't be judgemental, but I hate when supposed ministers of God defraud their people and build monuments to themselves. All in the name of God.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 07-May-2004, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I understand why Mike has this opinion and having been close to a number of them I have to agree with him.

On the other hand I agree with WO as I have met a few that give the rest of them a good name.

KJV"When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. "

What I have seen is televangelists bragging about their high percentage of accurate prophesy and by Biblical definition any percentage less than 100 makes them a false prophet (i.e. the Oral Roberts thing)

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Elspeth 
Posted: 07-May-2004, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

I haven't watched any of them. But flipping stations I have seen some who I think might be worthy of their time on TV.

However, like Mike, just the word televangelist has such a negative conotation. Maybe it's because I live in the shadow of Rex Humbart's tower he built to himself next to his cathedral. The locals have a colorful name for it I won't share here.

The good ones would do well to insist they be referred to as preachers, not televangelists.

Have we gotten off your topic wizard? I am glad there are some good ones on TV, especially for those who cannot get out to go to church.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 07-May-2004, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ May 7 2004, 09:53 AM)

The good ones would do well to insist they be referred to as preachers, not televangelists.

Have we gotten off your topic wizard? I am glad there are some good ones on TV, especially for those who cannot get out to go to church.

Good point Elspeth

I actually run sound for a local Church that is televised every week. It is not tele-evangelism and for the most part the teaching is very good. It is their outreach to people who are not able to go to Church or are searching spiritually. They don't pressure the TV audience for money on any level.

Plus the people there are really nice too.

Peace

Mikel
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

The only Televangelists that I like and respect is Dr. Billy Graham, but he is more an Evangelist than a Televangelist. He doesn't pander for money, and he shoots straight from the hip and keeps it simple and to the point---"Preaches only the Gospel." Whether you agree with his theology or not you will have to agree that his character and reputation are honorable and spottless. His track record spans the 20th century and into the 21st Century.

Just my threepence worth,
Roisin angel_not.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Aragorn 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Well, I like only one maybe two.

Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar. I usually do not watch any but if I happen on either of these I will watch em. I like someone who will teach not preach. I got burned out on watching them when they ask for all that money. Would not God provide for their ministry??

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Which ones I like? Actually none. Well, Billy Graham is cool. I put him on a par with Mother Teresa.
Although I am a Believer with about 25 years under my belt being a Christian, I can take only so much preaching... walkman.gif
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 01:52 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

Televangelist go against everything I believe in. I watched my parents send all their money to them. So much that I had to walk around in shoes with holes in the sole because they had no money left to take care of their kids (us). But by golly, they sent so much money to Jim Bakker, Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, and DR Dobson, Richard Roberts, and the purple haired lady with caked on make-up from TBN so they could get a special gold leaf bible.

This is a really sore spot for me.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Yep, Raven Wing, you certianly hit the nail on the head. No person is a messenger of God if they are encouraging people to send them money so that they can live high off the hog while those they claim to be shepherding let their children go in want.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

Me too. Sorry you had to go through that Raven Wing and I am sorry that these people can benefit from the hard work of others. sad.gif
RavenWing 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 08:13 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (Raven @ May 13 2004, 02:06 PM)
Me too. Sorry you had to go through that Raven Wing and I am sorry that these people can benefit from the hard work of others. sad.gif

The funny thing is, I have no problem with someone benefitting from the hard work of others, I just have a problem with people neglecting theor responsibilities.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]