jerseycaptain 
Posted: 31-Mar-2014, 01:14 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Virginia

male

Hey everyone! I have just joined the site hoping to find some help with a specific tune I have heard. I work as a staff member at the Busch Gardens theme park in Williamsburg, Virginia. In the Ireland section of the park, they broadcast Irish folk music of various kinds (and artists). One of the ones I heard, which I enjoy immensely, is a mix of Irish folk music with African rhythms. It contains only two words, uttered over and over in the tune: "jumba jumba" (or perhaps "jamba jamba"...not sure of the spelling).

I can find nothing regarding this awesome song/tune on the internet anywhere. Can anyone help me to identify the name of it, and the artist? I'd really appreciate any help! Thanks!
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 31-Mar-2014, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Greetings and welcome to the forums of CelticRadio! I can not help with that tune but maybe someone else can. Have you asked at the park for the list of tunes they play?

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
jerseycaptain 
Posted: 31-Mar-2014, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

Thanks, Shadows! Well, no, I haven't asked them just yet. But that would be my next course if nobody can help here. I figured this place might be a good way to start though. Tracking down information like that through the park is actually harder than you might think. lol
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 31-Mar-2014, 11:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Hey jerseycaptain, welcome to Celtic Radio! Good to have you on board with us. Always good to see and meet new folks.

I don't know if this will be much help, but the song you are looking for sounds like it might be from Afro Celt Sound System. That sounds like material they would do, but it's just a shot in the dark. I could not find anything with the lyrics you mentioned, but this could be a possibility.

Let us know if you find out! My curiosity is peaked now! Good luck on your search!

Welcome aboard and have a great day!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
jerseycaptain 
Posted: 01-Apr-2014, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

Thanks, haynes9! I haven't had much of a chance (yet) to look around, but I plan to when there's some time. This search, meanwhile, has so far been fruitless, and BG is a bit slow following up. But I intend to find this out!

I tried Afro Celt Sound System, but every song I found in their repertoire doesn't seem to fit (at least from 30 second samples I have been able to play online). But I know there are other possibilities. The question is who. And why, oddly, when I type in "afro celt music, lyrics, 'jumba jumba' ", I get only links to either Afro Celt Sound System (with no specific song references) and also song references to Indian and other totally extraneous material "(Jumba Wumba", "Chumbawamba", "Jamba Juice", etc. lol).

It's very depressing that this thing remains so apparently elusive. But I know I heard it once or twice before, on some small radio station doing an international folk music or Celtic show, before hearing it at BG. So it's out there...somewhere.

I figured that coming here would turn up more opportunities to solve this puzzle than elsewhere. But it seems, so far, that I am on the losing end.
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 01-Apr-2014, 02:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (jerseycaptain @ 01-Apr-2014, 01:06 PM)
Thanks, haynes9! I haven't had much of a chance (yet) to look around, but I plan to when there's some time. This search, meanwhile, has so far been fruitless, and BG is a bit slow following up. But I intend to find this out!

I tried Afro Celt Sound System, but every song I found in their repertoire doesn't seem to fit (at least from 30 second samples I have been able to play online). But I know there are other possibilities. The question is who. And why, oddly, when I type in "afro celt music, lyrics, 'jumba jumba' ", I get only links to either Afro Celt Sound System (with no specific song references) and also song references to Indian and other totally extraneous material "(Jumba Wumba", "Chumbawamba", "Jamba Juice", etc. lol).

It's very depressing that this thing remains so apparently elusive. But I know I heard it once or twice before, on some small radio station doing an international folk music or Celtic show, before hearing it at BG. So it's out there...somewhere.

I figured that coming here would turn up more opportunities to solve this puzzle than elsewhere. But it seems, so far, that I am on the losing end.

Hope it works out for you, jersey! I know how frustrating this kind of stuff can be. Usually my luck is that when I stop looking for something, then it shows up!!

I will keep my ears open. One guy you might consider asking is Larry Kirwan with Black 47. He is pretty good about answering emails and he has a vast knowledge of stuff that's out there. I would Google his name and check out his or the band's website. If I can chase it down for you, I will.

Take care!
jerseycaptain 
Posted: 01-Apr-2014, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

That's very kind of you, thank you! I just went through every single Afro Celt Sound System song I could find on YouTube, and not a single one comes close.

The song isn't fast, and it's not terribly slow either. It has bodhran, uillean pipes, fiddle, etc., and is of about moderate pace, and is a bit new-age-ish in style (which would, naturally, suggest ACSS). I'm not even sure the words being chanted are "jumba jumba", or "jamba jamba" or some alternative version thereof, but they are chanted rhythmically (and not too fast) throughout the song.

Sadly, I had no other luck with any other videos on YouTube either. And Amazon.com, like I said before, is no help at all. And it seems the "Entertainment Department" at Busch Gardens is the probable answer to this question, though they are not exactly rushing to answer my question (and I've had to leave messages). lol Of course, I still want to give them the benefit of the doubt. For now.
PMEmail Poster               
jerseycaptain 
Posted: 01-Apr-2014, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

(probably has a few African instruments in it too...but I haven't listened closely enough to verify any)
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 02-Apr-2014, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

I would check with the department that handles the music at the park. Somebody there is doing the daily programming.
PMEmail Poster               
jerseycaptain 
Posted: 03-Apr-2014, 08:17 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (AShruleEgan @ 02-Apr-2014, 12:39 PM)
I would check with the department that handles the music at the park. Somebody there is doing the daily programming.

lol I did. I walked in there and finally found someone (I had to leave a few messages on the phone). The two people in there told me they didn't know what it was, that the music program selected for the Ireland section of the park was put together in 2001, and apparently (as far as they knew) there wasn't a record of what the songs are (strangely enough). But they were going to check with a person in the department who is apparently in the know about it, and perhaps that will solve the question.

So I'm hoping time will tell! Again, it's just surprising to me that, this being a tune/song (well, a tune with some African chanting in it) that otherwise is very Irish/Celtic, that it's just a darned mystery. And I've posted to other forums asking the same question!
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 05-Apr-2014, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

My curiosity is sure peaked! When you get the answer, let us all know. I've got to hear this song!! Lol

I will still keep my ears open is case I get lucky and find something.

Did you try and contact Larry Kirwan? That's still on my "to do" list!
CelticRadio 
Posted: 14-Apr-2014, 12:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,866 Gold!

We have about 30,000 tracks of Celtic music on our site, so my only suggestion is to sit back and listen to Highlander Radio occasionally and perhaps you might locate the track.

There are a number of tracks I remember hearing as you described, so with any luck you might hear them broadcast on our channel at some point.

If I locate the song, I will be sure to post it here...

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
LadyJeanetta 
Posted: 24-Apr-2014, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Librarian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Vernon Hills, IL, USA

female

Was there a bit of a dance-ish beat in the background? This sounds a little like a track from Shooglenifty, from their album "Troots," but I can't recall the name of the track... It's one of the early ones on the album, I think.

Best of luck to you in your search!

--------------------
~~Jenny~~

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea is asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace; we've got work to do!"--Doctor Who, "Survival"
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 28-Apr-2014, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Have you thought about trying to SoundHound or Shazaming it while it's playing, if you have that ability?

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
sickboy1965 
Posted: 19-Oct-2014, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri, USA

male

Found this track list one the ole WWW (World Wide Web for the youngsters) Your song must be in there somewhere smile.gif

09-12-2014, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 02:51 PM by BGW Family.) Post: #201
BGW Family
The OLD Country, please.
Given 2667 thanks in 711 posts
Subject: RE: "Classic" Hamlet Theme Music

Sorry to put this up on HOS opening weekend. I just needed to get it off my plate. I've been working on completing Shane's list. I noticed the repeats were very few when passing through Killarney, unlike other Hamlets in the park. It took 6 and a half hours of listening to finally get the cycle. I've done the best that I can at also identifying the actual performers of the list.

This is for Killarney in August of 2014. There is a loop of music that is approximately 5 hours and 7 minutes long. There are 82 songs. One (No. 49 and 50) is repeated back-to-back making this list 83 songs long. I'm wondering if this repeat is the beginning and end of the loop. I did not start until 10am, so I do not know where the list beings. However, these are in the actual order of play.

There is a "public service announcement" by the park every 30 minutes or so. There are 10 announcements total.

Also, there are TWO tracks played from different speakers in Killarney. The speakers mounted high play the music while several small speakers, mounted low or in bushes, play background noise. Like people talking, birds, etc. Some of these "hidden" speakers play the music, too.

Suggestions or corrections welcome. Criticism dealt with tersely. Smiling

Killarney

1 - Flatfish - Flook
2 - Siamsa - Ronan Hardiman
3 - Jigs (The Diplodocus / The Gandy Dancer / The New Leaf) - Trian
4 - After Hours At McGann's - Gaelic Storm
5 - Caraçena - Bill Whelan
6 - Way Out to Hope Street - Alasdair Fraser's Skyedance
7 - Toss the Feathers (Instrumental) - The Coors
8 - Pretty Peg / Craig's Pipes - The Bothy Band
9 - Equos Fair - David Arkenstone
10 - Shade of Otherworld - Dagda
11 - Mountain Dew - The Irish Dreamers
12 - The Wearin' of the Green - Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops Orchestra
13 - Three Young Ladies Drinking Whisky - Mac's Irish Players
14 - Linger - The Cranberries
15 - Irish Heartbeat - Van Morrison & The Chieftains
16 - Tom Busby's / James O'Byrne / The Four Posts of the Bed - Solas
17 - The Emerald - The Shamrocks
18 - Packy's Place / The Castleblayney Piper (Jigs) - Eugene O'Donnell & Mick Moloney
19 - Breakfast at Lady A.'s - Gaelic Storm
20 - Cil Liadian - Bill Whelan
21 - Donostia - Alasdair Fraser's Skyedance
22 - The Donegal Reel - The Irish Dreamers
23 - Road to the Fair - David Arkenstone
24 - McCloud's Reel / Whup Jamboree - Gaelic Storm
25 - The Crooked Road / The Foxhunter's Reel - Martin Hayes
26 - Brennan On The Moor - The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem
27 - You Couldn't Have Come At A Better Time - Luka Bloom
28 - A Mhuirnin O - Clannad (& Anto Drennan & Ian Melrose)
29 - Reels (McGlinchey's / New Ivy Leaf) - Liz Carroll & James Keane, Jr.
30 - I Will Follow - U2
31 - Hills of Connemara - Gaelic Storm
32 - Old Woman From Wexford - Brendan Moriarty
33 - Bunch of Keys - Eileen Ivers
34 - The Storm - Moving Hearts
35 - Inis Sui - Marie Breatnach
36 - Stoney Run - Skyedance
37 - The Devil Went Down to Doolin: Mack's Fancy / The Devil Amongst the Tailors / John Brennan's Reel / [unknown Shetland tune] - Gaelic Storm
38 - The Irish Washerwoman - Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops Orchestra
39 - Heaven Knows - The Corrs
40 - Domino - Van Morrison
41 - Marie's Wedding - Van Morrison & The Chieftains
42 - Paddy Taylors / McFadden's Handsome Daughter / The Narrowback / Franks Reel - Solas
43 - January Snow / Laura Lynn Cunningham - Lúnasa
44 - Just My Imagination - The Cranberries
45 - Chetvorno Horo - Bill Whelan
46 - The Wedding Jig / Hiudai Gallagher's March / James Byrne's / Mickey Doherty's / Welcome Home Grainne - Altan
47 - Slip Into Spring - Bill Whelan
48 - St. Ruth's Bush - The Irish Dreamers
49 - The Skyedance Reels (Ruilleadh Cailleach / The Bird's Nest / Harris Dance) - Alasdair Fraser's Skyedance
50 - The Skyedance Reels (Ruilleadh Cailleach / The Bird's Nest / Harris Dance) - Alasdair Fraser's Skyedance
51 - Reel (Reaveys No. 19) - Brendan Mulvhill, Andy O'Brien
52 - The Farmer's Frolic (aka Butchers March) - Gaelic Storm
53 - Tell Me Ma - Gaelic Storm
54 - Dulaman - Altan
55 - The Flowing Bowl Medley (The Flowing Bowl / Máire Breatnach's #1 / The Doon / The Mason's Men) - Solas
56 - The Barnyards if Delgaty - Irish Music Experts
57 - The Deserted Village - Irish Film Orchestra (Bill Whelan)
58 - My Singing Bird - Reg Keating
59 - The Seasons - Box Tree Orchestra
60 - Roscarbury - Column MacOireachtaigh and the Irish Ceili Band
61 - Give Me Your Hand - The Chieftains / Sir James Galway
62 - E Minor Jig / Jim Wards - Danú
63 - Shetland Jumper / Message From Home / Wise Up, Grumpy - John McGann
64 - Christy Barry's Set - Kevin Crawford
65 - White, Orange and Green (Tabhair Dom Do Lahm) - Column MacOireachtaigh and the Irish Ceili Band
66 - Chief O'Neil's Favourite - The Irish Dreamers
67 - The Boy in the Gap - Pat Kilbride
68 - Reel de Flores - Alasdair Fraser's Skyedance
69 - Port Lairge - The Irish Rovers
70 - Harvest Time - The Dreamers
71 - Roches Favourite - James Galway and The Chieftains
72 - Mary from Dungloe - Dick Delaney
73 - Morrison Merrily Kissed The Quaker - Column MacOireachtaigh and the Irish Ceili Band
74 - The £5 Flute / Donald McLennan's Exercise / What Pain I Have Endured Since Last Year - Old Blind Dogs
75 - Cregg's Pipes Set: Th Gneevguillia Reel, Are You Willing?, Hanley's Tweed, Niamh's Capers, Cregg's Pipes - Tabache
76 - Scarce O' Tatties - Column MacOireachtaigh and the Irish Ceili Band
77 - Jama (Based On the Traditional Tunes "Fig for a Kiss" and "Langstrom's Pony") - Eileen Ivers
78 - Old Maid In The Garden - Sweeney's Men
79 - Taylor Bar, 4am / Ceol na Mara - Lúnasa
80 - Midnight on Raasay / The Braemar Cappuccino - Alasdair Fraser's Skyedance
81 - The Minstrel Boy (and others) - Column MacOireachtaigh and the Irish Ceili Band
82 - The Lord of the Dance - Column MacOireachtaigh and the Irish Ceili Band
83 - The Trip to Sligo - Dervish

Then, back to Flatfish by Flook.
Wisdom from a mug: In the time before airlines & electricity, the countries of medieval Europe developed distinctive styles architecture suited to their regions. Traditions & culture grew separately as well. The diverse heritage of many Americans is celebrated here in Busch Gardens at Williamsburg.
Thanks given by: David, Pretzel Kaiser, Zachary, Nicole, Jesy, netdvn, Lee, Applesauce, Jonquil, Unagi, SWStevo, VACoasterFan, Mazakman, Alf33, Luke, gazisghost, Celticdog, CastleOSullivan, chickenking
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]