capttrk1 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 12:58 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Hagerstown,Md

male

It was around this time last year that I read a recipe for stuffed pumpkin .I made it and it was GREAT but somewhere I misplaced it and If anyone has it would they please share it again. Now that the season is changing and its gettting cooler the thought of sitting in my firehouse and making this on a Sunday afternoon for the guys hit me .I think the best time in the firehouse is evening meal its the end of the day and what a better way to unwind then sitting and eatting a hearty meal as this. Thanks and be Safe

--------------------
may the sound of the pipes make your blood boil and rise you up
my brothers. 9/11 Never Forget
PMEmail Poster                
stoirmeil 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Golly, there's a million things you could stuff a pumpkin with and then bake it, all of them yummy! Can you describe some of the things that went into it? Was it a rice-based filling? was there meat? was it sweet, spicy or tangy?

Here's a vegetarian one:
Elegant Stuffed Pumpkin Recipe
Ingredients
1 (5 pounds) pumpkin
2 to 3 cups brown rice, cooked
2 cups crumbled dry whole wheat bread (or part corn bread or other bread)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 to 1 cup chopped celery and leaves
2 apples (tart and unpeeled), chopped
1 cup roasted chestnuts or a handful of cashew nuts, cut In half
Herbs: Sage, savory, marjoram, oregano, and paprika to taste
1 to 2 cups vegetable stock
1/4 to 1/2 cup butter, melted, or safflower oil
Soy sauce or salt to taste

Instructions
Cut off top of pumpkin to make a lid. Remove the seeds and scrape out any stringy pulp.

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well with hands. Add stock and butter, and mix well, adding soy sauce and salt if desired. Stuffing should be moist but not wet. Pack loosely into pumpkin, replace lid, and bake on oiled cookie sheet for 1-1/2 hours or more at 325 degrees F.

It is done when a fork pushes easily through the pumpkin. Transfer to a caserole dish and serve at the table, scooping out some of the tender pumpkin flesh with each serving of stuffing. If the pumpkin is organically grown, you may eat the skin too. (If you have too much stuffing for your pumpkin, place extra in an oiled casserole, cover, and bake for 1 hour.) [/B]

And here's a meat one (this is similar to what I've tried. I would put in chopped red sweet peppers too. smile.gif ):
BEEF STUFFED PUMPKINYield: 8 servings

1 (5-6 pounds) pumpkin or 2 or 3 (2-3 pounds) pumpkins
2 teaspoons salt, divided use
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garllic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef
3 eggs
2 teaspoons crushed dried sage
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups cooked rice, preferably a mixture of white & wild rice
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut top from pumpkin and remove seeds and strings. Prick cavity with fork and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Heat pot or large skillet.

2. Add oil to pot or skillet. When hot, add garlic and onion and saute until onion is transparent. Add beef and continue sauteeing until browned. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.

3. Stuff pumpkin with mixture. Place 1/2- inch water in bottom of a shallow baking pan large enough to hold the pumpkin.

4. Put pumpkin in the pan and bake 1 to 1- 1/2 hours. Cut pumpkin into wedges (or if small pumpkins used, into halves) and serve, giving each person both pumpkin and stuffing.

So -- that gives you the idea on cooking time and amounts. Now you can play. I would like to try a middle eastern or indian spices variation, with ground lamb, this year. I can even see where you could stuff it with mexican-style hot and spicy beans and rice, with meat or not, and with both hot and sweet peppers. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (capttrk1 @ 03-Oct-2005, 02:58 AM)
It was around this time last year that I read a recipe for stuffed pumpkin .I made it and it was GREAT but somewhere I misplaced it and If anyone has it would they please share it again. Now that the season is changing and its gettting cooler the thought of sitting in my firehouse and making this on a Sunday afternoon for the guys hit me .I think the best time in the firehouse is evening meal its the end of the day and what a better way to unwind then sitting and eatting a hearty meal as this. Thanks and be Safe

Look here:

http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...topic=5095&st=0

Sometimes you have to dig through the many pages of this topic area to find what is there, everything is not always on top.

Also there is a search function that makes it easy to find what might not be evident.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 04-Oct-2005, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Oh. You meant it was here on this site that you saw the recipe! Sorry. whistling.gif

Yeah, that looks really good! Interesting to use the egg in it too, to bind it into a "loaf" inside the pumpkin while it bakes. That would make the serving of it very nice -- when you slice the pumpkin, the meat and rice keeps its shape inside the slice, and the outer rim of cooked pumpkin is kind of laminated right on the filling.

Damn! I'm hungry. (At work with bag of Cheetos, reading these good recipes. Now that is pathetic.) bored.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 04-Oct-2005, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 04-Oct-2005, 05:57 PM)
Oh. You meant it was here on this site that you saw the recipe! Sorry. whistling.gif

Yeah, that looks really good! Interesting to use the egg in it too, to bind it into a "loaf" inside the pumpkin while it bakes. That would make the serving of it very nice -- when you slice the pumpkin, the meat and rice keeps its shape inside the slice, and the outer rim of cooked pumpkin is kind of laminated right on the filling.

Damn! I'm hungry. (At work with bag of Cheetos, reading these good recipes. Now that is pathetic.) bored.gif

Don't appologize your recipes look grand and are now here in the forum for all to share!

"...bag of Cheetos..." YUCK!
Sekhmet 
Posted: 04-Oct-2005, 10:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Thought that one might've been mine...I was gonna offer to post it again, but thankfully it's still on the boards. Just have to dig for it!

PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
capttrk1 
Posted: 12-Oct-2005, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Hagerstown,Md

male

JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU ALL FOR THE RECIPE . IT IS A GREAT FALL RECIPE AND IT SEEMS TO GET EVERYONE IN A GOOD MOOD. ON SAT. WE ARE GETTING THE PUMPKINS AND SUNDAY IT WILL BE IN THE OVEN WHILE FOOTBALL IS ON. AGAIN THANKS
SINCERLY CAPT E. GIRARDIN
PMEmail Poster                
dundee 
Posted: 12-Oct-2005, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

hmmmmm wondering how it would work on the grill???
sounds like just the excuse to sit out there waiting for it to
bake .... sipping a bit of single malt....... maybe a guinness.....
watching the geese flocking and flying over head as my dog chases them across the yard..... thinking to himself if i could only fly... i could get them......

a bit of nip in the crisp fall air..... the smell of pumkin wafting through the air....... ahhhhhhhhhhh.....

i just may try it..... *s* note.gif

Sekhmet you say you slice it like in pie or water mellon wedges?? and it stays together?

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 12-Oct-2005, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Why use a grill? Just build a fire in your yard and cook it in the hot coals and ash... we do something very similar when we camp, just brush off the ash and burnt parts before serving.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 13-Oct-2005, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (dundee @ 12-Oct-2005, 04:02 PM)
Sekhmet you say you slice it like in pie or water mellon wedges?? and it stays together?

I think it was me that said it, when I noticed she uses egg to bind the filling. It would tend to keep it together.

You might wait a long time for it on an open grill, though the flavor would be terrific. Might be a little faster if you steamed the pumpkin shell for a little while first and most of the inside ingredients were also partly cooked, before filling and grilling it.
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 13-Oct-2005, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

gotta weber gas grill for fathers day..... would close the lid... and stick it in a
pan as suggested....... hmmmmmmm maybe a lil hickory smoke in the old smoke box........... this just gets better and better.........*L*
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 13-Oct-2005, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Uh-huh!! That's going to be good. There's some stuff around on smoked pumpkin as a good flavor. This recipe is a little chaotic, not clear what it's supposed to come out looking like, but near as I can tell it's a ravioli with a goat cheese and red pepper filling -- and I'm not clear if those are sweet or hot peppers, but I would use hot, or maybe both together -- with a sauce over it make of hickory smoked pumpkin, and some caramelized onions on the side. Sounds like a fantastic combination of flavors. Me, I would sneak a little ground walnut into the goat cheese and pepper filling (have made a great dip out of feta cheese, cream and ground walnut, seasoned with cayenne pepper. If I remember, the idea was originally in the first Moosewood Cookbook. That shows me age, I guess. smile.gif ) If the ravioli was too big a deal to make, I can see stuffing already-cooked big tube pasta with the goat cheese mix and baking it for a short time with the pumpkin sauce over it.

Ravioli of Goats Cheese and Capsicum Smoked Pumpkin & Caramalised Onions- Fast But Good Food - By Kelly Brown, Emily Unicomb and Stephen O'Brien
Chef: Stephen O'Brien

Serves 10

You need:
Ingredients
Ravioli Paste -
300g Bakers Flour
35ml Olive oil
1 Egg
Approx 70ml water
1g Salt

Filling -
500g Goats Cheese
(Cherve fresh fromage blanc kervella)
4 Red Capsicums
1g Seasoning

Sauce -
1kg Butternut Pumpkin
2g Nutmeg
1 packet Hickory chips
1 Litre Vegetable stock

Caramelised Onions -
1kg Red onions
150ml Olive oil
250g Brown sugar

Method:
Method for Ravioli Paste -
Sieve flour & Salt
Make a bay, add the egg, oil and water - from a paste, knead until smooth (more water may be required)
Rest in fridge for 30 mins
Roll out and cut into 6cm diameter circles, place filling in centre and place another circle of paste on top to form ravioli.
Cook in boiling salted water at service

Method for Filling -
Sear and blister the capsicum on all sides in a hot pan and a small amount of oil.
Place capsicums in a bowl, cover with Clingwrap and chill
Remove skin and seeds when cold, dice for ravioli.

Method for Sauce -
Heat the hickory wood chips in a deep pan, cover with a wire rack and place the sliced & peeled pumpkin on to cook with the smoke - place a lid on top to retain heat and monitor smoke levels until cooked
Puree veg stock, nutmeg and some pumpkin to form a sauce - season before serving.

Method for Caramelised Onions -
Heat oil, add sliced onion, and cook until a light brown colour is achieved.
Add the brown sugar and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
Season and store for service.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]