Posted: 29-Oct-2004, 06:33 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

Wait a second. My mistake. I didn't realize until I had already posted, but that was actually the second commandment. The great commandment, Christ said in Matthew 22...

"Then one of them, a lawyer, (meaning that this guy already knew the law) asked him a question, saying
Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
The second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."

Just as a side note since we are still actually in the "Halloween" topic...

My own opinion is that even though I can love God with my whole being and celebrate on October 31st, other people may see my actions differently. As I don't wish to offend my brethren or cause them to stumble, I refrain from celebrating a day that is commonly held as belonging to satan. (Though in another thread, I stated that every day "is the day which the Lord has made" and no days "belong" to satan.)

--------------------

Leslie

~That would be an awfully big adventure.

~Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
PMEmail Poster                
susieq76 
Posted: 29-Oct-2004, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Just to chime in with my cheap two cents, I am not going to go into any details about anything not on the topic of Halloween here. I just wanted to say that I wholeheartedly agree with MacAibhistin's (sp?) statements.

'Nuff said.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMMy Photo Album               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 29-Oct-2004, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 29-Oct-2004, 12:26 AM)
I go away for a few days and look what happens!  Well, in all honesty, I could tell by the title of the thread and its originator where this thread was going - straight to hell.  tongue.gif

It is an interesting thread, and a fun read all in all.  Here's my two cents worth.  Halloween is not a holiday, unless you are a true pre-Christian Celt (which, I am sure, none of us truly are).  So, today, it is an Old World carried over tradition that has been adapted to fit our materialistic culutre - hence the emphasis on treats and prefabricated costumes based largely on pop-culture caricatures.  Nevertheless, in North America, we enjoy the tradition and it provides most people with a little fun.  It does not encourage us to become Satanists and I have never heard of anyone leaving their church to join a coven because of Halloween.  I am a Christian, but I see no need to walk in fear.  What would Jesus do? The same thing he did when he grew up in Nazareth.  He participated in the local customs of the day and placed.  He fished, he went to parties, he danced, he drank wine, he went to church, etc. 

It seems that some people try to state their beliefs on here in such a way as to make others who don't feel the same as somehow inferior.  Folks, let's not tear each other down, show a little respect and compassion.  We don't need legal interpreters of a creed spreading their "stuff" here, it simply is not what this neo-Celtic community is to be about. 

If you don't like Halloween, stay home.    If you like it, enjoy it.  If youths in your areas are being violent or destructive, it is not because the event is from the Devil, it is because these kids have poor values (and poor role models!) 

God Bless and good night.

Rory

I have been reading all the comments made on this thread and I must admit that I never thought of Halloween as being anything more than a time to dress up and go out with friends and get candy from neighbors. My children enjoyed it and now my grandchildren do so. I think that MacAibhistin expressed it well. I feel that everyone should do what feels right to them and no one should judge.

Just my thoughts smile.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 30-Oct-2004, 07:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

QUOTE (cori @ 29-Oct-2004, 10:10 PM)
We are all over looking the greatest comandment of all, if it is followed you can't go wrong!

" Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Simple and plain in the christain bible and also in the pagan beliefs ( even though the pagans believe that what actions you take come back three fold to you... good or bad )

This is a good commandment, yes. God says that the greatest commandment is to "love one another as I have loved you". This goes beyond all human love. This love is unconditional. biggrin.gif

The two commandments in Matt 22 are intended to be a brief summary that includes, not replaces the other commandments, this certainly includes the ten.

When I was a pagan I was fond of quoting the Bible out of context, not really understanding what I was speaking of.

The first of the 2 great commandments - to love God... is explained and amplified by the first four of the decalogue. These deal with our relationship with God.

The second is explained in greater detail by the last six of the decalogue, these deal with our relationship with Man.

So if we truly love God, we shall have no other gods before Him, make no graven images, not take His Name in vain and call Holy what God calls Holy (sabbath).

When we speak of "loving God and our neighbor, these things need to be considered, while remembering that to the follower of Jesus these cease to be 10 "do not's" and become ten wonderful promises.

This is not really off the topic of the thread, ( no apologies necessary Urian my friend) it brings me back to the Halloween question, it's not a case of whether "we like" it or not.
When we love God we want all that we do to be honouring to Him. (Thy will, not mine, be done)

So how does a holiday/festival/celebration (whatever you want to call it) that focusses of witches, goblins, and the like, glorify the Creator? How does that present us as "children of light"?

I'm not judging, my purpose is only to get us to examine our traditions, question our practices and see how we can better bring them in line with what pleases God.

I for one, can make many improvements there as I seek to serve the Lord Jesus more closely.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
maryellen 
Posted: 01-Nov-2004, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Amen Tassie!

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Nov-2004, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Ok, I have read through all these posts. First of all, all the holidays came from pagan practices. so do we stop celebrating Christmas and Easter as Christians? I am not going to!

I do not celebrate Halloween and whatever occultic practices, but for me I see it as a fun time for kids to dress up and I do treat the kids that come to my home with candy and I make pumpkin pies that night as a beginning of our upcoming holiday season! I really think we make way too much of Halloween. It is no more a pagan holiday than Christmas or Easter! However, I acknowledge Jesus on Christmas and Easter, whereas I just see Halloween as a fun night for kids to dress up and get candy. If the witches or Satanists want to use that night to celebrate too, let them be! I am fully aware of both occultic groups getting together to pray and have ceremonies. But we Christians do the same during Christmas and Easter! do I agree with the occult and paganism? No! But am I going to try to stop them from participating in what they believe and their night of practicing their spiritual worship? No! I mean, like I said! Christmas and Easter are practiced by Christians all over and yet are originally pagan holidays!

Just my two cents. smile.gif
maryellen 
Posted: 05-Nov-2004, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Yes, Christmas, Easter, etc. have pagan origins. However, and this is a big however, they are focused on Jesus. Halloween has nothing to do with Jesus. Pope Gregory whatever tried to usurp the celtic new year by moving All Saints Day from May to November 1st. But the Irish continued the Halloween tradition and carried it to the USA.
Halloween celebrates dark, devils, witches, etc. No God, no Jesus. Yet, everything you do should be to glorify God. Going along with the mainstream usually does not do this.
Christmas, Easter, are there because of Jesus and celebrate Him. By this logic, should we celebrate ALL the pagan, wiccan and satanists holidays since it is "all good fun"?
Just a thought.
PMEmail Poster               
cori 
Posted: 05-Nov-2004, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

A very good thought at that.
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 05-Nov-2004, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well, a very good point MaryEllen! I had not thought of it all that way before. Thank you for enlightening this person who calls herself a Christian. Obviously, not a very good one at that! Many thanks again. smile.gif thumbs_up.gif
urian 
Posted: 05-Nov-2004, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ 05-Nov-2004, 08:02 AM)
Yes, Christmas, Easter, etc. have pagan origins. However, and this is a big however, they are focused on Jesus. Halloween has nothing to do with Jesus. Pope Gregory whatever tried to usurp the celtic new year by moving All Saints Day from May to November 1st. But the Irish continued the Halloween tradition and carried it to the USA.
Halloween celebrates dark, devils, witches, etc. No God, no Jesus. Yet, everything you do should be to glorify God. Going along with the mainstream usually does not do this.
Christmas, Easter, are there because of Jesus and celebrate Him. By this logic, should we celebrate ALL the pagan, wiccan and satanists holidays since it is "all good fun"?
Just a thought.

soooooooooo
now you are calling pagans and wiccans satanists?
nice
how lvery little you know and how very little you seem to want to know.

Its fine. I do realize that many people are happy being told what and how to think and consider the views of others blasphemy or heresy.

I dont think,though, that any of the non christian brethren here(and this includes buhddists, pagan, jew, etc) would like to know you consider them satanits or hold the view that they are going to your hell.

toodles

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
urian 
Posted: 05-Nov-2004, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

I want to apologize to the members for my outburst earlier.
I am human and , thus, am prone to lapses in my striving to be a better person.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 05-Nov-2004, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Urian! Don't worry about it! I am striving to be a better person too and sometimes I write before I think. I learn a lot from all of you!

Take care, my friend! smile.gif
cori 
Posted: 06-Nov-2004, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Urian,
No offense taken. We are all prone to defend ourselves and our beliefs. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster                
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 06-Nov-2004, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 27-Oct-2004, 12:12 AM)
While not really a big "holiday" in Australia, I have found from another website that this appears to be a holy cow that is beyond criticism in the USA.

My view has always been that a Christian should best avoid this celebration since it's roots lie in paganism and it's associations with witchcraft. ( I mean real witchcraft as defined by the Bible and not the misconceptions and even atrocities committed by misguided churchmen in the 1300's and on).

The Creation Science Foundation are in agreement with me.
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/halloween.html

How do you feel? Is it a bit like Xmas to you - some good, some bad? or do you avoid it altogether?

Please, I am soliciting the views of my Christian brethren here, I have no desire to argue with pagans in this place.

Well don't the roots to christmas devoid from pagans? Should we avoid that to?

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 06-Nov-2004, 05:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

This thread and the halloween thread remind me of the old Johnny Cash song, Does anyone remember it??

The corus goes something like,
"Don't go mixin religion and politics with the folk songs of our land"...

*Annham goes off to try to find the words of the song...*

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]