Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Dublin Irish Festival In Ohio, Anyone going?
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 25-Jul-2006, 10:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I'll be there on Friday night for the Adult Irish Dance Competition. Is anyone else going?

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 26-Jul-2006, 01:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I had thought about going Friday and part of Saturday.

But we have a show in Indianapolis on Saturday night and I have a lot of yard work to do smile.gif

I may very well be there!

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 26-Jul-2006, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (Raven @ 26-Jul-2006, 03:36 PM)
I had thought about going Friday and part of Saturday.

But we have a show in Indianapolis on Saturday night and I have a lot of yard work to do smile.gif

I may very well be there!

Mikel

Let me get this straight. YOU are thinking about passing up an opportunity to have people around you and talk their ears off??!!!!

Arminta, is he OK???

king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 29-Jul-2006, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Oh well...It's not like I'll have much time for talking anyway. I'll be too busy catching my breath in between dances! biggrin.gif wink.gif
Raven 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

Did I leave you earless Mike? wink.gif

How would anyone get the idea that I like to talk???

laugh.gif

Mikel
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Probably not... censored.gif ...wife says we can't afford it.
No one else in the family seems real keen on going either.

argue.gif

crybaby.gif

frusty.gif

fyou.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 08-Aug-2006, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

So how was it????

I had a friend that went but got called back early and was forced to endure our Saturday night show as a result wink.gif

Mikel
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 09-Aug-2006, 01:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

It was ok. I did pretty well in dancing. One thing that my father had an issue with was their lack of service for disabled people. You park in a lot about 2 miles away and then ride a shuttle (school bus) to the entrance. There are 4 entrances...north south east and west. However, the bus only drops you at either the north or south. My competition was right next to the east entrance. There was no way of getting there other than to walk. My father has pulmonary emphysema and is on oxygen, not to mention has 2 artificial knees. He was absolutely exhausted after walking all that way and that was with taking 3 breather stops to get there. Now, mind you there are golf carts driving around all over the place carrying all the important organizer people around the grounds. How hard would it be to set up some kind of "stops" around the grounds for them to move around disabled people? He spoke to someone on his way out and they said they'd try to come up with something for next year. However, he has no intentions of going back. unsure.gif

Other than that though, the grounds and the festival were wonderful. And it seemed to be generally well organized with great bands set up. It's definitely one that I'll try to attend to next year with my hubby and kids...but not my dad! wink.gif
SusieB 
Posted: 18-Jan-2007, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

female

Hi, I'm new here to the forums and live an hour from Columbus. We usually get to the Dublin Irish Festival each year. It is a really good time with all of the bands and entertainment. I can see what you mean by the lack of amenities for the disabled though. My daughters are both Irish Dancers and compete in the Columbus Feis there. My parents want to come this year, and I'm afraid my own dad will need to use a wheel chair because of the long walk from where we park. I hope they do improve things!

How is your dancing going Irish Stepper? I would love to start as an adult but am afraid I would be laughed right out of there.
PMEmail Poster               
itsmewendylee 
Posted: 18-Jan-2007, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacWillow

female

We attended this festival every year for 5 years until last year. My family and I even volunteered for 3 years. We passed last year only because my son had a bagpipe competition elsewhere the same weekend. Not sure if we'll be there this year or not.

The problem is, when a festival gets as good as this one- and Dublin, OH is widely recognized as one of the very best- they get mega CROWDED.

My daughters Irish Dance and have competed in the Feis there 3 times. We won't be back, even though it is a well run feis, simply because it is one of the most crowded feises I've ever attended. The entire school is bursting at the seams. You can't walk from one stage to another without squeezing through a crowd all the way there including the hallways, and there is not a place left to sit. (I'm not talking about camping, either, I mean, just a place to sit down!) The building probably has twice what a fire marshall would want there, I'd hate to think what would happen in an emergency. There is a cap on the number of entrants, but the downside of that is that when registration opens (usually around April 1) the spaces all fill up within a day for a competition in August! I wish there were a bigger venue for it.

Then, the festival itself- same problem. Great grounds, Coffman Park is gorgeous and quite large. But, it isn't big enough. Last time we went, every time I was going from point A to point B I literally took a deep breath and dove into the river of moving humanity, unable to move around without touching anyone, it was so crowded. If I got a spot in an entertainment tent, I hated to leave for beverage or bathroom, because I knew I'd never get back in! It was completely insane. Parking is a nightmare. Waiting for crowded shuttles a nightmare. Yet I don't know what else the city can do to make it better. It's obvious people have put hard work into handling the 80,000+ people who descend on the city like a swarm of locusts for the weekend.

I figure an anniversary year will be more crowded than ever, and I'm waivering as to whether the fabulous entertainment lineup they are bound to have will be worth the crowd and the heat. We'll see.

--------------------
Even the mighty oak is just a nut that held it's ground.
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 18-Jan-2007, 10:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Hey Susie,

Dancing is going ok I guess...whenever I actually show up. I haven't been going to classes because I'm so swamped with being a cub-scout leader this year. I do manage to go to rehearsals for shows that our school does. We do several a year, and I participate in those as part of 4-hand and 8-hand teams, but I think the solo dancing is taking a back burner this year.

You shouldn't worry about joining as an adult. If you're in a school that teaches adults, then you'll be fine! It's a lot of fun and great exercise. Plus, in a year or so, you'd be able to put together a 2-hand or 3-hand dance with your daughters for the parent/child competitions. I'll be doing that this year with my son for our March show. We're doing a number called "generations" that will consist of the parent / child dancers. That should be pretty fun!

As far as your dad is concerned, I would definitely recomend one of those motorized scooters. Even if you just rent one for the day from someplace. It would be worth it! I think that if nothing else, Dublin Irish Festival should set up a disabled loading/unloading zone for handicapped people. Somewhere near an entrance that isn't on the side of the road where you're about to get hit with all of the traffic!

As for the Feis...the only reason I entered was because we competed outside as part of the entertainment the night before! It was a lot of fun, and we didn't have to fight against the "kid" crowd and all of the families that go along with it. I'm hoping to get a 4 or 8-hand team together this year to go out there and compete. Our school did really well at the Oreichtas this year and hopefully we'll be going to Canada for nationals this summer. king.gif
SusieB 
Posted: 19-Jan-2007, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

female

You are definitely inspiring! It would be fun to dance with my daughters. Maybe if I start lessons this summer, I'll be ready for next year!
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 24-Jan-2007, 11:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

You definitely should do Irish Dance! It's great exercise, but you don't mind it because it's so much fun. biggrin.gif
ogdenmusic 
  Posted: 11-Feb-2007, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Cincinnati, OHIO

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #39
169,651 Gold!

I've gone the past two years to the festival. Great
festival, music, but killians and coors light beer as
the only adult beverages offered. Give me my guinness!! tongue.gif

--------------------
GO KENTUCKY WILDCATS
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 19-Jun-2007, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

The first weekend in August is fast approaching. My kids are motivated to go this year. One way or another, I plan to be there. With my family or with my sister and BIL.

Any one else planning to attend? If so, drop me a pm. Maybe we'll meet up there.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]