Elspeth 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Most families have funny stories that took place in church. What are yours?

One I remember is after I came back from camp when I was about 11. We were asked what we learned to which we responded a song. We were asked to sing it for the congregation. We tried to tell them it wasn't a good idea, but no one would listen. So, my friend and I got up in front of the church and sang.............

Granny's in the cellar
Lordie can't you smell her making biscuits on that dirty old dirty stove
In her eye there is a matter that keeps drippin in the batter
And she whistles while the *SNIFF* goes down her nose
Down her nose, Down her nose
And she whistles while the *SNIFF* runs down her nose.

We tried to tell them........

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
aklassie 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

One of my best memories was when my sons were little. We were going to a little church in Ga. My youngest had a toad in his pocket. My mother in law made him leave it outside. Michael, my son thought the toad needed to learn about Jesus and cryed when he had to leave it.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
cscunningham 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

male

Sort on topic.

When I was about 6 I was visiting my cousin, some how the conversation got around to girls. I told my cousin I did not like girls. She turned to me and said your prejudice. In a very serious voice I turned to her said, no I am not, I am a Protestant.

Some 40 years later, this still get brought up a family reunions.

--------------------
C.S. Cunningham, Clan Cunningham USA -
Membership Coordinator & New England/New York Region Director
[email protected]

If there is righteousness in the heart,
there will be beauty in the character.
If there is beauty in the character,
there will be harmony in the home.
If there is harmony in the home,
there will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
there will be peace in the world.
So let it be.

My Webpage
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 14-Jul-2004, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,429 Gold!

As a proper minister's wife, my mother said she could never understand why people couldn't make their children behave in church; then she had me. wink.gif One memory that stands out, I must have been about four years old. I was sitting on the end of the pew next to the center aisle. Now at four years of age, sermons can be very long and tedious. It was a warm summer day (before AC) and my mind was wandering as a small boy's mind is wont to do. For some reason, I became focused on how far it was across the aisle to the other pews. I wondered if I could turn a somersault all the way across the aisle. I was sure that I could, but there was no way of knowing without proof. I must have sat patiently for all of two minutes before deciding that I couldn't stand it anymore and "had" to find out if I could turn a somersault across the aisle. I still don't know if I could have done it. I was half way across when a hand reached out and snatched be back so fast I had trouble focusing on my mother's scowl. I was firmly held till the end of service when my mis-adventure was firmly dealt with. I probably behaved a whole week angel_not.gif before getting "distracted" again. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 15-Jul-2004, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

My favorite memory was going to daily mass with me, my brother, and my grandma. Well it was during the summer and it was hot. It was during the consecration (the most important part of mass) when all of a sudden a mouse ran up the center aisle. My brother, Tom, ran out of the pew and chased the mouse all the way up to the altar and around it and back into the sacristy. A few minutes later Tom came out and came back to the pew (the mouse was nowhere to be seen). I can only imagine how my grandmother felt. Haha!

usaflag.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
talleyrand 
Posted: 15-Jul-2004, 04:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

I don't think I was old enough to be in kindergarten, but I was close so we'll call it 4. The church was in the basement of the grade school (K-8) and my Mom was part of the Alter Society and this was the day they were cleaning church. There was a neat looking red box on the wall, with a little white lever... Of course, I pulled it but nothing happened so I went about my business of crawling under pews and staring at candles and statues. Then a whole bunch of kids started pouring out of the staircase and out the doors. My mom grabbed me and we went and stood outside with everyone else. I didn't understood what was going on but I did see a kid that lived down the street and told him all about cleaning church, candles, that red box and I was busted. Apparently they had just installed the fire alarm a few weeks before I tested it for them.

It must be in the blood though because I've had a nephew do the same thing, except at my sister and brother-in-law's work when he was 5ish and just a few week's back my son (2.75) reached up and got his hand on the lever at my work before I stopped him.

Otherwise, my favorite memories involved Fr. Jim and Fr. Frank. Fr. Frank had a basset hound, maybe it was a beagle, and during all school masses Fr. Jim would bring it over and let it loose toward the end. I thought that was the greatest thing when I was in grade school.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Gordon 
Posted: 15-Jul-2004, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

My fondest memories of church really didn't involve anything at church but rather, the drive there. Myself, 2 sisters, and 3 cousins would all spend weekends with our paternal grandmother at her condo and on sunday mornings, we'd get up bright and early for a big breakfast then all pile into her Pinto. It was a squeeze but I always thought of clowns and the circus when we did it. laugh.gif

Gordon

--------------------
Lay you down in green meadows amongst the heather for it is there the music calls to your soul and beckons you home.
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 16-Jul-2004, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

My husband 'did a funny' a few months ago. He operates the sound booth for the church services, and sits up in a booth in the center of the balcony while he operates the equipment. He's a deacon too and they take turns saying the prayer before the offering is taken up - they walk up to the podium where the preacher usually stands and say the prayer there.
Well, Reid's turn came on a day when he was in the sound booth, so for fun he did his prayer over the sound system - no one could see who was doing it! It was like this big booming voice from heaven blessed the offering - people were turning EVERY which way trying to figure out where the prayer came from!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Siobhan Blues on 16-Jul-2004, 11:42 AM

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]