Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Another Informal Poll/question, In what way express your activism?
Swanny 
Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

What do you do to support your important cause or causes?

In my case, I take me views directly to the source, testifying in roughly 1/2 dozen to a dozen public hearings each year. I'm a reasonably well published author for an amateur, and practice the Mark Twain approach to politics ("never anger the man who buys ink by the barrel"). I'm active in several organizations that promote my views, and am president of one of those.

How 'bout you?

Swanny
"Aut pax, aut bellum"

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

I use my power to vote. I try to stay abreast of the politicians, what their platforms are, who they represent. I still have this rather naive notion that democracy works!

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I am a member of a number of education organisations, both national and international. I am chair of 2 national orgs.

I am a member of Amnesty International.

I am actively involved in politics.

I am involved in local history (Scotland is a rich source of 'local' history!!) both teaching and learning (an on-going project!)

PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

I don't believe I've ever before met anyone with A.I. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well in my case for the most part my issues are federal in nature so all I can really do is write my congresscritter and join groups and sign petitions. In fact I signed a 1st amendment petition in retards to issues with the federal income tax and to date congress has ignored this petition. They've come close several times to responding but it's like teasing a dog with a bone and eventually they'll have their hand cut off for ignoring this petition. And we will have the backing of the founding fathers in doing so.

The founding fathers made it quite clear that if congress or government desides to ignore petitions the people have a right to withhold from government that which it wants until such a time as government answers the petition instead of despising it.

Will cover this in greater detail later as don't have a lot of time before we need to go out.

Locally I don't have to many issues to deal with. I would rather pay a state tax which stays in-state then a federal tax which goes only god knows where. (Not that states control money any better then the fed) mad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Here's how I keep up my fight:

1. I use as little electricity as possible.
2. I keep my car tuned up.
3. I recycle.
4. I only use organic gardening products.
5. I reuse some plastic bottles.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

ph34r.gif Scottish2, I see that we share a common interest in literature. ("all I can really do is write my congresscritter") Doesn't that come from a book that advocates NOT writing?

S
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Yeah pretty much. I write but won't hold my breath that I actually get a reply that answers my concerns.

Here let me give you a typical congresscritter reply

Dear Mr Aw heck who cares what your name is

I read your concerns and could give a flying you know what about them.

Oh and please vote for me in the upcoming election.

Signed your loving and faithful congresscritter

Sound about right to you Swanny?? tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 16-Jun-2003, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Barleyjuice ~ "Pog Mo Tunes"Publishing
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: On The Road

male

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ Jun 16 2003, 07:42 PM)
I reuse some plastic bottles.

Geez, oh man! ME TOO!!! Especially on those long drives with no rest stops.
laugh.gif

As for my activism... here in the USA it's on a local level, where you really can do something. Eventually, it makes its way to the state.
If I was to waste my time on the National level, I would be shot-down faster than a chicken at an Arkansas family reunion picnic.

My "International" Activism is VERY intense, however. My membership in overseas organizations is loud and expensive. With the numbers in the groups however, they're very strong in their voices. All in all, I don't kid myself about American effectiveness. It's MUCH less at home than it is in certain countries.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
tartangal 
Posted: 17-Jun-2003, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

QUEEN OF SCOTLAND
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Glasgow, Scotland

female

I can't say that I am hugely active, however I do vote with my concience and like Catriona am also a member of Amnesty International.

--------------------
Jules

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.
Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 18-Jun-2003, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Gaelic Bread @ Jun 16 2003, 09:42 PM)
If I was to waste my time on the National level, I would be shot-down faster than a chicken at an Arkansas family reunion picnic.

That sounds real similar to what "S2" was writing about his congress-critter's response. That's pretty much the common response. I'm afraid that anything that isn't written on the appropriate letterhead immediately goes into the stack of stuff for the cute little intern to send a form-mail reply.

The correct letterhead would be that of a major campaign donor.

I've had great results on the State level, but it may be due in large part because the population of our entire state is less than that of most "major cities" in the Lower-48 (currently about 650,000). We tend to know our state senators and reps on a first-name basis, and it's hard to B.S. the guy or gal that teaches your children, that you plan to face in next week's dart or billiards tournament at the local pub, or who you may be calling to do some repair work in your home or business.

GB, you wrote "My membership in overseas organizations is loud and expensive." I'm curious and even though it's none of my business, if you're willing, I'd be curious to know which organizations you support.

I'll even 'fess up first. Yep, I'm a card-carrying member of the good ol' NRA, and the Alaska Independence Party (think of the AIP as libertarians with a bad attitude. We're the one's who advocate telling both major parties where to stuff it and in succeeding from the union based on violations of the statehood compact). On the other hand, I'm also a member of the Alaska Peace Officers Association. Oh, I'm also very active in the Alaska Outdoors Council.

Swanny

PMEmail Poster               
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 18-Jun-2003, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ Jun 18 2003, 09:38 AM)
GB... I'm curious and even though it's none of my business, if you're willing, I'd be curious to know which organizations you support.

Not a problem since my name is overtly active with them.

Here in the United States, I realize that democracy is proper. It needs to be set in national defense, economic stability, right to work, and supportive of individual freedom to invest, pray, school, and choose ones own philanthropic donations. I TRULY believe that the government has absolutely NO right to tell me (or anyone else) where to give private money or who gets it.

Quite the opposite, however, is my stance with Ireland. Beyond the obvious that the Island should be one sovereign nation, I also know that the economic and social situation calls for a different form of government structure and action. Ireland Northern Aid, and Sinn Fein both are in place and organized to support and fight for the Irish self-rule. For generations, my family has been in the fight. From "Irish Volunteers" to political activists, we support the right for the Irish to self-rule. With that in mind, the frayed social situation does call for government to exercise: democratic free elections, government medical assistance, state assisted business and social programs to "get the nation on its collective feet". Conservative America will not work in Ireland. Liberal America would stand a chance.

It's a difficult notion for some to imagine, but it's possible to be conservative at home and liberal overseas. There's a complete social structure and economy in-place in every nation... it takes a unique government to effectively handle the matters.
RavenWing 
Posted: 18-Jun-2003, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (scottish2 @ Jun 16 2003, 11:20 PM)
Well in my case for the most part my issues are federal in nature so all I can really do is write my congresscritter and join groups and sign petitions. In fact I signed a 1st amendment petition in retards to issues with the federal income tax and to date congress has ignored this petition. They've come close several times to responding but it's like teasing a dog with a bone and eventually they'll have their hand cut off for ignoring this petition. And we will have the backing of the founding fathers in doing so.

The founding fathers made it quite clear that if congress or government desides to ignore petitions the people have a right to withhold from government that which it wants until such a time as government answers the petition instead of despising it.

Will cover this in greater detail later as don't have a lot of time before we need to go out.

Locally I don't have to many issues to deal with. I would rather pay a state tax which stays in-state then a federal tax which goes only god knows where. (Not that states control money any better then the fed) mad.gif

I am surprised. We actually share a lot of the same views. I unfortunately have become disillusioned wth the whole political process, and have become apathetic. I used to be very involved with politics.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 18-Jun-2003, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (scottish2 @ Jun 16 2003, 07:20 PM)
I would rather pay a state tax which stays in-state then a federal tax which goes only god knows where.

BINGO!

ohmy.gif

Always been my stance in America!!! The Feds assume that South-Central L.A. and Haysville, Kansas can use the same social programs to cure all problems. THAT'S why government programs (and the taxes it takes to operate them) drive me NUTS! States, if given the proper backing and assiatance, can key PROPER and EFFECTIVE programs for the people.

Thanks for the fodder!
smile.gif
Catriona 
Posted: 18-Jun-2003, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Gaelic Bread @ Jun 18 2003, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (Swanny @ Jun 18 2003, 09:38 AM)
GB... I'm curious and even though it's none of my business, if you're willing, I'd be curious to know which organizations you support.

Not a problem since my name is overtly active with them.

Here in the United States, I realize that democracy is proper. It needs to be set in national defense, economic stability, right to work, and supportive of individual freedom to invest, pray, school, and choose ones own philanthropic donations. I TRULY believe that the government has absolutely NO right to tell me (or anyone else) where to give private money or who gets it.

Quite the opposite, however, is my stance with Ireland. Beyond the obvious that the Island should be one sovereign nation, I also know that the economic and social situation calls for a different form of government structure and action. Ireland Northern Aid, and Sinn Fein both are in place and organized to support and fight for the Irish self-rule. For generations, my family has been in the fight. From "Irish Volunteers" to political activists, we support the right for the Irish to self-rule. With that in mind, the frayed social situation does call for government to exercise: democratic free elections, government medical assistance, state assisted business and social programs to "get the nation on its collective feet". Conservative America will not work in Ireland. Liberal America would stand a chance.

It's a difficult notion for some to imagine, but it's possible to be conservative at home and liberal overseas. There's a complete social structure and economy in-place in every nation... it takes a unique government to effectively handle the matters.

GB

You realise that the perspective on the Ireland situation is different when viewed from the UK?

I have relatives who served in the British Army (in Highland Regiments) who served there.....

The gun-running and fund raising by outfits like NORAID were ignored by your Govt for many years - only after those IRA people were found in South America, training terrorists, and after 11 September did the US finally agree that they would consider the IRA a terrorist group.

I have sat in pubs where the guys in black berets and sunglasses (in London in December!) came in with collecting tins and said 'for the Bhoys'..... I can assure you, they got nothing from me. Until the recent peace initiative I boycotted Irish goods. OK, my 2 pence a week contribution to the irish economy spent on Kerrygold butter wasn't going to make a great difference, but it was one method of peaceful protest. I love Waterford Crystal - but stopped buying that too....

I was in Harrod's the day the IRA bombed the store.... at Christmas time.... In fact, they only succeeded in injuring a number of tourists...... A friend of mine is a Northern Irish Catholic - whose best friend was killed by the breakaway IRA group.

I grant you, the mainland had nowhere near the bombings that those poor people in Northern Ireland have suffered for nearly 40 years...... but can you imagine what it is to live in a country that was unable to have rubbish bins in the streets because the terrorists used them as shrapnel bombs? A country that was unable to have any left-luggage offices at major train stations (a real problem for business people like me) because at the beginning of the Troubles, parcels were left which exploded and maimed people?

I think Ireland is best left to those who live there..... and the people in Northern Ireland who still want to be part of the UK are still the majority - for now. If the birth rate amongst the Catholics continue to outpace the Protestants, then that will surely change.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]