> I Keep Getting This Message, Internet Explorer has to end now
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 01:02 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

I will be in the middle of something and then Internet Explorer comes up with this message of it having to end! So it closes what I am in the middle of..........the nerve!

so someone told me to go into my system and do start, run and type in sfc /scannow and that supposedly would clean out my IE! well I tried that and it kept asking for me to insert Service Pack 1 disc...............which I don't have and never even installed Service Pack 1! Is this accurate information? How can I keep from getting this IE message?
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Not a whole lot of information there, but sounds like IE turning flakier on you. Anything in perticular you're doing when it happens? Perticular sites?other things comming up? I trust based on previous posts you've had that you've scanned for spy-ware and similar. Could be a little of anything at this moment. From a setting wrong to a corrupt file. Right now I'd hope it's a fluke and figure on a reinstall. Basically hope for the best, expect the worst. Try and keep a close eye on when / how it's happening and see what we come up with, and hopefully we can avoid the reinstall. If worse comes to worse, perhaps a different browser could be a work-around smile.gif Just some ideas smile.gif Let's see what else shows up smile.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
talleyrand 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

If you haven't done so already, spend the next few hours downloading all the latest/greatest patches for your machine.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I have an easier solution. Don't use IE. It has holes the size of the Grand Canyon. The only reason I keep it is for when I want to play a Flash game or something.

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 24-Sep-2004, 07:20 AM

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

You also want to make sure that you have a good virus program and spyware program. We use AVG here at work -- www.grisoft.com -- for viruses and Spybot S&D at http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/.

Download both of these and run them. Then make sure IE is up to date, as well as your other software, and then download the latest service packs for the OS. Do this last.

But Mike has a point about using IE. I use Maxthon Beta as an alternative browser. I like it a lot better.

Erik Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks guys! I have had this computer a year now and the Internet Explorer on it has been wonky since day 1! I get that message not too often but I do get it. It wasn't till I told a friend about it that he suggested that I do a IE repair by what I told you above! So I wanted your guys opinion. I have Norton Security anti-virus and Spyhunter anti-spyware that I run all the time. However, Norton says I have four spywares on my system that I just can't seem to get rid of. I have had Ad-aware and Spybot on my system as well and still can't get rid of these four spywares on my system! Now I am talking about something else, aren't I? Oops! rolleyes.gif

Curious as to what different browsers you all have on your systems.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Mozilla!
Firefox!

smile.gif I jave Firefox on my Sun Solaris box, as well as it's what I use under XP. I just installed it on my main LFS build here and once I can get Thunderbird built I may completely migrate from the Mozilla 1.5a that I'm using now.

As far as Graphical browsers, there's my choice. I use Links as well, when I'm in console, but I wouldn't call it good for general use browsing. It's great for when I'm looking for something though...

Ohh, and I've got full support for Java apps and Flash in Mozilla and Firefox. All the in-browser support *I* need.
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 24-Sep-2004, 02:43 PM)
I have Norton Security anti-virus and Spyhunter anti-spyware that I run all the time. However, Norton says I have four spywares on my system that I just can't seem to get rid of. I have had Ad-aware and Spybot on my system as well and still can't get rid of these four spywares on my system! Now I am talking about something else, aren't I? Oops! rolleyes.gif

Curious as to what different browsers you all have on your systems.

I use Maxthon as my browser. It has tabs across the top for all the windows I have open. My only complaint is that I can't ALT-tab between them, the way I can with other open windows/apps.

As far as not being able to get rid of the 4 spywares, try HijackThis. One of my programmers recommends it -- he says it's not very sophisticated/pretty, but it will help you identify those 4 items, and then delete them.

Erik
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Sorry, forgot to include a link for HijackThis.

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Erik
Taliesin 
Posted: 12-Oct-2004, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

I may be too late for the issue at hand, but one of the ways to remove hard-to-remove spyware components is to do the scan in Safe Mode. Often, that's the only way to some of them.

Here's what I do, and it's a long process, but I've been able to remove pretty much anything I come across. First off, I go through Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything I don't use. (Yes, Comet Cursor, and Smiley Central have spyware components and should be uninstalled, sorry.) smile.gif Once that is done, I run an Ad-Aware scan normally with Ad-Aware. (Be sure to UPDATE Ad Aware before running it for maximum effectiveness.) I reboot the computer. Run the scan again, and make note of the troublesome spywares that were not removed. I then do the scan in Safe Mode. (I'll include instructions on how to boot into Safe Mode later.) I reboot and run the scan in normal mode again. At that point, if there are any clingers, I see if Ad-Aware has any plugins to remove specific spyware components for good. (Certain versions of VX2 are a particular pain in the butt.)

Finally, if that doesn't remove your problems, you CAN go into MSCONFIG (as long as you don't have Windows 2000) and manually change what is starting up. Start>Run...type msconfig into the box that pops up. Go to the Startup tab. Here, you can uncheck anything that shouldn't be starting up when your computer starts up. I would avoid using this unless you know what you're doing, though, as you can render programs inoperable if you're not careful. smile.gif

To start up in Safe Mode, start up your computer. A BIOS loading screen should pop up. (It might have your computer manufacturer's logo on it or something like that. It might also run a memory check. AS SOON AS THAT SCREEN DISAPPEARS, start hitting F8 as fast as you can. Eventually, Windows will pop up a screen asking you how you want to start your computer. (With Windows XP, you'll get the option to start the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking". That is good if you need to update your Ad Aware, but if you've already updated, then just choose Safe Mode.) Windows 98 users should just choose Safe Mode.

Hope this helps anyone out there get rid of spyware. Of course, you could always avoid most of the problem by not using IE. smile.gif I like Firefox, myself. smile.gif

-Chris

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Oct-2004, 01:58 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Sir tal and deckers! Thanks so much for your help. I got directions from Norton security on how to remove the spyware, now I just have to do it. It also says to go into safe mode to remove these buggers!

I had downloaded Mozilla Firefox twice and keep having this problem with it. It won't let me use smilies in certain places and my computer kept crashing all day yesterday with it. I finally had to delete it. My hubby is not happy about this as he really likes the Mozilla Firefox. I can't understand why my computer keeps crashing with it installed though! sad.gif
CeltWolf 
Posted: 18-Oct-2004, 06:15 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacVine

male

If your machine is only a year old, it should already have SP1 on it. So that'd just be asking for your XP CD.

Perhaps you should try Firefox after you clean out the spyware. Have you run a virus scan of late? Can't hurt. Firefox should DEFINITELY not be crashing on you.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Oct-2004, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi there Celtwolf! I run my Norton anti-virus and update it all the time. I have 3 anti-spyware programs on my computer because what one or two didn't find, the other did. I should be clean by now. I think what happened is that I downloaded a corrupt Firefox. I hear the latest version also has all kinds bugs in it, so looking into that as well. smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]