Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> This Is An Expensive Hobby, You all think?
Annham 
Posted: 09-Sep-2004, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

female

I agree with Sekhmet,
Rootsweb is a great place. smile.gif
I did some genealogy when home computers were just getting popular...at that time, everybody was sharing everything.. and there weren't any ancestor.coms and such. It was lots of fun. I have tried to look up things on the pay sites and many times what comes back in the searches are pieces of information I've shared with someone a long time ago.. and in turn, someone must have submitted it... Some times I've even found pieces with my initials attached as the source. sad.gif
Those sites asked for donations of GED files from any and everyone then put all them together and put a price on them.. I basically think they are a rip - off.
furious.gif

Anne

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Sep-2004, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thankyou Sekhmet for outlining everything. thumbs_up.gif

The one site that I have been the most disappointed with is Geneology.com. I have found that I only get so far with them and then they want to charge me a lot of money for additional search! sad.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 12:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Speaking of everything costing way too much...

I'll give here my standard offer for anyone else. If anyone needs something looked up on Ancestry, I've got access to just about everything. Also if anyone needs help finding information on Civil War soldiers/veterans, give me a yell and I'll see what I can do. I have burial records for a couple of the National Cemeteries (specifically Gettysburg and Antietam/South Mountain). If it's Gettysburg, that's my strong suit by far. wink.gif I've also got a complete set of the Official Records and Fox's Losses, Dyer's Compendium, etc.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! That is very generous of you Sekhmet! I may take you up on your offer as I am stuck on one of my great-grandmother's Rebecca Jane Allison or Ellerson. worked as an indentured servant and married my great grandfather Silas Whitaker. I can find no information on her prior to being an indentured servant. I know they both were from North Carolina, but where she came from prior I don't know. I guess back in those days they did not record the women..........a shame. sad.gif
Sekhmet 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 11:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Allison...?

Aw, heck. We could be related. I'm related to the Allisons on my father's side. Any chance they wandered through Pennsylvania?
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh my! When my ancestors came from the UK, they first settled in Pennsylvania and later moved on down to North Carolina and then Georgia! Wouldn't it be funny if we were related?! biggrin.gif However, with the Allison side, I cannot get beyond North Carolina and that is what is so frustrating! sad.gif
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 21-Sep-2004, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

Computers are making things too easy for genealogists, and as a result, we forget that there are actual buildings that have this precious information -- information we can get for FREE!

Some advice for anyone who is looking to do cheap (or free) genealogy research:

1) Most state and university libraries will have access to the census on microfiche. When I was at Ball State (in Indiana), I used to do this for free. Raven said he lives in Indianpolis. You're just 2 hours from Fort Wayne, home of the second largest genealogy library in the country -- behind the LDS library. If you live close to a big library, like in a college town, make a day of it. Public university libraries are usually open to the public.

2) You might be able to get Internet access to the Fort Wayne library's genealogy section here . I've never tried it. (www.acpl.lib.in.us)

3) Based on the small research I've seen, Ancestry.com seems to be one of the best sites out there. So if you have to pay money, this may be your best bet. Others may have better info on this than I.

4) Network like crazy. Celticrose and Sekhmet already started, and a lot of others may do it as well. But I found a "half-third cousin once removed" (don't ask!) who had 16 generations of my paternal grandmother's family tree in his possession. Of course, it didn't hurt that all the Blankevoorts in the world are actually related -- I feel bad for all the Smiths and Jones in the world! So who knows, Celticrose? Sekhmet may just be that long-lost relative you need to fill in the missing pieces.

Erik Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Sep-2004, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Erik! Thanks for all your info! I live in a small town and a hour a half away from the nearest large or university library, so I am very dependent upon the internet for my info. I would agree that ancestry.com is one's best bet. I have gotten a lot of information from that site. smile.gif
SonofHenderson 
Posted: 26-Feb-2007, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

Realm: Bucks, England

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #63
40,213 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

There are free search sites on the internet such as: rootschat.com, familysearch.org, cyndi's list, freebmd; cheaper sites include genesreunited but ancestry, etc are much more expensive. The familysearch.org on the web is free-you should enter your family member's details on the search called IGI I believe its the 3rd search item down once you click on search on the home page.
PMEmail Poster               
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 19-Mar-2007, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

Celtic Rose and others here. Best place to go for research online is www.FamilySearch.org It is the LDS family history site and free. There is tons of information there and more becoming available everyday. There is even a program you can download free to your computer called PAF (Personal Ancestral File) to help you keep track of the information and records you find. I work at our local family history center (FHC) the first two Sat. every month. It is a church calling. We have been called and working in our FHC since 1984. We enjoy it very much. There is so much you can find online there. You have to go to your local FHC to order and view films but you can go to the FamilySearch site card catalog and find the films you want to order. Many of our patrons bring in list they printed up I want to order these films please.
At the library we do charge fees for film orders to cover cost of postage and handling but basically everything else is free.
If I can be of help just let me know.
RebeccaAnn
PMEmail Poster               
Sėmeag 
Posted: 03-Mar-2009, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

QUOTE (Lyra Luminara @ 28-Jun-2004, 04:14 AM)
Jeez, yes, this is such an expensive hobby.
I just wish my ancestors would have written stuff down. ::grins::

I'm with you on that!

I've ended up subscribing to Ancestry, because they have all the census info (including .pdf scans of the original entries) online. However, the best for finding matches to other family members was GenesReunited, but I couldn't afford both, sad.gif so have stuck with Ancestry.

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 03-Mar-2009, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

I got real lucky with my mothers side of the family. One of my great aunts wanted to join The Daughters of The American Revolution and they went back all the way to coming on the Mayflower here. My fathers side well that's a whole other story,I can only find where 4 Edward Kings came here from England all around the same time he did. That is my brick wall. I've heard stories that he came by himself which I find hard to believe he would of been 10 or 11 in 1849. The census (1910) says his parents were both born England but have no names for them. When was about 14 or 15 I can remember being shown lots of the family history that someone did for my Dad, traced back to someone who had some nobility and laughing about "we're rich". But where are these pages now I have no idea. It's tough know that my brother and I were the only grandchildren and not knowing any cousins on that side I may never know more then what I know now,and I want too know more.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
OkieRennie 
Posted: 25-Aug-2015, 10:32 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

Realm: Vinita, Ok

female

Sekhmet, have you been peeking into *my* genealogy library and my home office on my family genealogy? biggrin.gif

Yes it is a very expensive, time consuming, obsession creating, frustrating hobby ... but I wouldn't trade it for anything! What started out as tracing down where my heart conditions sprouted from has turned into my own personal time machine peeking back in the past to make connections to people and places I'll never know with the end result being a sense of belonging and kinship.
PMEmail Poster               
TetonAndDistrictPerformingArts 
Posted: 04-Oct-2015, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: South-East Idaho (Idaho Falls)

male

Good Evening All!

I have something that you might try; and it may have already been suggested.

The LDS church has an awesome genealogy department, if you can put any prejudices aside.

They have libraries in most cities, that are open to the public, and free to use. The only time money is considered is when you want something copied.

AND... apparently, they are so good at the genealogy thing, that the British government handed-over tons of stuff for them to research and catalog. It was starting to get a bit damaged in the catacombs of the island, and the British government didn't have the resources or manpower to do it themselves. There is new stuff being released all the time.

They have an on-line account that you can sign-up for, and do quite a bit there.

There is a program that you download, a family tree device, that is quite interactive. You can put photos, recordings, etc.

The idea is... if everybody uses this system, puts-together the pieces that they can, then upload that completed part to the Family Search servers, it starts going together like a giant puzzle. Then you can re-download all of the pieces that attached to your original piece. It's kinda cool thumbs_up.gif

And now for the big surprise... most of those companies that you are paying... are using this sites database. They just create a front-end, the user interface, with a shopping cart.

It is not illegal, just annoying!

Free Family Search

--------------------
David S. R. Clark, Administrative Sergeant-Major

Burns' Society of the Tetons

Ammon Scottish Festival
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]