> National Do Not Call List
scottish2 
Posted: 25-Sep-2003, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

This is outright wacky.

Wednesday Sept 24th a federal judge in Oklahoma City ruled that the National Do Not Call list was not within the power of the FTC.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...925/bs_nf/22363

Shortly after the very next day Thursday the 25th Congress quickly and I do mean quickly passed new legislation to keep the NDCL on track. this legislation passed the house by a vote of 412 - 8 (Amazingly Ron Paul of Texas was one of the 8?? ??? That one I will never figure out?? ???) the Senate passed it 95 -0 and the President (I use that term loosely.) plans on signing it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...tc_cmp/15200393

Now after swiftly passing congress this is yet in jeprody again as some other rogue judge in denver decides to put it on hold yet again.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../do_not_call_39

Since when do corporations have the right to overrule 50 million people as that is how many have already signed up for it. That is out of a 166 million residencial phone numbers and 150 million cell phone numbers (316 million), That's about 1/6 the total and also the total population of the United States. It is time we start holding judges accountable for their actions. To many are getting involved where they don't belong (IE California) and ruling opposite of what congress and the people demand in order to preserve basically what this judge is saying as these telemarketers first amendment right to harrass us just to make a sale. Calling people to make a sale is not protected 1st amendment speech especially when telemarketers know how much people hate them. We have a right to tell them not to call even before they call. There have been state lists for years and no court cases why now just because it's national. What is it going to hit their pocketbooks so hard? Well I guess since 50 million numbers have already signed up it's 50 million numbers they wouldn't get a sale at anyways. ???

Then if all the above doesn't beat all have a look at this and you'll be shaking your head in wonder.

The Direct Marketing Association (The DMA) is asking all of its members and the entire telemarketing industry to respect the wishes of consumers who have registered for the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) National Do Not Call Registry, even though a recent federal court ruling appears to have put mandatory compliance with the list into question.

http://www.jail4judges.org/national_001.htm thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 26-Sep-2003, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

For those wanting to complain to this second judge here is his contact info

District Judge Edward W. Nottingham
United States District Court
U.S. Court House
901 - 19th St.
Denver, CO 80294-3589

Phone: 303.844.5018
Fax: 303.335.2155
E-mail:
[email protected]
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 26-Sep-2003, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

Can you explain???

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 26-Sep-2003, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well congress passed some legislation earlier this year where they gave our Federal Trade Commission (FTC) the power to create a national do not call list where if you have registered your phone number in this list (free of charge) telemarketers cannot call you and harrass you with sales attempts. If they did there would be financial punishments in the form of $11,000 per incident and these telemarketing groups would have to keep their database up to date with those who have registered so they don't call these people. And this judge ruled against it even though it is both legal and constitutional. I say it's time for some house cleaning in the courts time to rout out the rogue judges!!!

Stupid part is the telemarketers industry says they will loose money well hello the people who registered on this list don't want to get called so are they going to buy something when they didn't even want the call? No so looks like their wasting even more money by calling people that aren't interested in the first place. Rediculous if you ask me to claim they'd lose money yet they waste how much per year on unsuccessful calls disgust.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 30-Sep-2003, 11:57 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Scottish2,

Thanks for explaining the whole issue about the Do Not Call List. I heard about it in the news about three times, but with their 10 second sound bytes it was hard to understand all the issues. I think the whole telemarketing industry is out of control---we get so many calls at home, I feel like I'm running a switchboard at times. Americans should be allowed to decide whether they want to be solicited or not. We Americans put "No Soliciting" signs on our front doors of our homes and spam blockers on our computers to ward off unwanted sales from companies---the same should be allowed for our phones. disgust.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 04:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Lets say we all start a national ward off telemarketers campaign. Go to Walmart and buy yourself a small airhorn in the boat section. When a telemarketer calls blast their ear drums out. After so many calls they'll stop. If they want to harass us we'll harass them. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 04-Oct-2003, 05:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well looks like even with the legal issues the companies may actually be complying for the most part with the list.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...a36814_2003oct2

In fact from the end of the article looks like it is even having the effect of closing some call centers down. thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif smile.gif smile.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]