Posted: 13-Jan-2007, 05:12 PM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

The Copper Basin 300 started this morning @ 10:00am local time (GMT -900) with a field of 26 mushers!

Here is the site.

And here is the race board to see how they're doing.

And here is the course.

Although the temperature at the start was 25 degrees it has warmed up a little to 28 degrees. Race officials are predicting the temperatures to hover around 0 degrees for race days.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2013 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 14-Jan-2007, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Yesterday was unseasonably warm throughout the Interior of Alaska. That can be really tough on dogs, especially since it comes immediately after the only cold snap we've had thus far this winter.

I am amazed by some of the run times posted on the site this morning. There are some tremendously well conditioned dogs running in this race. Especially those of my friend Allen Moore. (Yep, I'm grinnin').

S

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 14-Jan-2007, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

It doesn't look like he's even breakin' a sweat right now. He took a little more rest time than Kleedehn.
Swanny 
Posted: 14-Jan-2007, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Latest update from the Skunk's Place kennel, I just got this Email about a minute ago:

Allen has the top 12 dogs from the kennel and is off on the race start as of Saturday morning. You can check out the race at www.cb300.com - the updates are a little frustrating (only because the volunteer who updates the times actually sleeps!)

The teams are coming into Paxson - Kaz called with these times. You have to take into acount the mandatory rest that each team must accumulate during the race. Allen is actually doing quite well, despite his current 7th place arrival into Paxson (120 miles into the race.)

Times into Paxson (unofficial)
Steer 445
Kleenden 508
Willomitzer 508
Schnuele 522
Sawatzy 531
Hayashita 538
ALLEN 5:51
Sass 6:14
Schandelmeier 622
Bundzten 6:47

Allen and Schandelmeier were "helped" out of Chisto by a volunteer with a flashlight who pointed them down the wrong trail onto a slough with glare ice - Allen thinks he lost 30 minutes there.

Otherwise he's in Paxson with all 12 dogs. Says Pepper is sore in hind end and will see when she wakes up how stiff she is. Pingo's wrist is acting up as well - he rubbed it down and wrapped it for his 8 hour mandatory rest. He will now get good rest inside. He said the snow was quite deep over the mountain summits and teams were traveling slow. Whenever he got on a "good trail" they picked up speed (which wasn't often). He seemed a little bummed, probably from getting lost.

PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 14-Jan-2007, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

I'd be bummed too after losing 30 minutes. The good part is that it is early in the race and the chances of making that time up is greater.

Hope his team stays healthy, he will need them for the rest of the race. upcoming terrain is going to be rough.
stevenpd 
Posted: 16-Jan-2007, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Allen Moore of Two Rivers, Alaska crossed the finish line in Glennallen at 9:16 PM on Monday, January 15. Allen finished the trail in 37 hours and 40 minutes. His average speed on the trail was 7.7 miles per hour.

Congratulatioins to Allen!

Swanny 
Posted: 16-Jan-2007, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

From the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner:

Moore nabs second CB 300 title

By Craig Medred
Anchorage Daily News
Published January 16, 2007

Blizzard conditions in the Nelchina Basin were taking a heavy toll on teams entered in the Copper Basin 300 Sled Dog Race on Monday, but Allen Moore from Two Rivers slogged his way to his second victory in three years behind a team of 11 determined huskies.

Moore, the 2005 winner of this race, passed through the last checkpoint in Tolsona with a lead of more than an hour and a half on Canadian challenger Sebastian Schnuelle from Whitehorse, Yukon.

Moore eventually reached the finish line at 9:16 p.m.

The trail conditions were so tough that it took Moore 4 hours and 20 minutes to cover the last 20 miles of the course from Tolsona to the finish line in Glennallen.

Moore completed the race in 37 hours and 40 minutes for an average speed on the trail of 7.7 miles per hour, but he slowed significantly due to heavy snow late in the race.

On the 25 miles of trail between the Wolverine Lodge at Lake Louise and the Tolsona Lake Resort, his speed dropped to under 6, barely a jog, however, the trail might have been to blame for that.

“It is snowing really hard,'’ a race official reported from the Glennallen start-finish line. “It is ugly.'’

Bad weather helped to explain the high dropout rate for the 300-mile loop through the foothills on the south slope of the Alaska Range. Of the 26 teams that left Glennallen on Saturday, 13 had scratched by late Monday.

As of 11 p.m. Monday, no other mushers had crossed the finish line.

One-time race leader Zack Steer pulled out at Wolverine Lodge on Lake Louise after one of his dogs went down and died. Veterinarians were still trying to determine what happened.

Steer and kennel partner Dr. Robert Bundtzen of Anchorage have been deeply involved in an on-going study of possible links between exercise, stress and gastrointestinal problems in racing sled dogs, but it is not yet known how this dog’s death relates to any of those things.

But because dogs belonging to the two mushers are part of the study, Steer said some of the best veterinarians in the country were on the scene to examine the dog after it died and begin piecing together why that happened. The information could prove useful in helping save other dogs in the future, but that didn’t make Steer feel all that much better.

“I’d rather not have done the race at all than lose a dog,'’ he said. “I’ve never had this happen before.'’

Steer said he had noticed on the run between the Meier’s Lake and Sourdough checkpoints that the dog just didn’t seem to be working quite as hard as normal. He asked a vet to look at the dog in Sourdough. Musher and vet then talked about the situation and decided it was fine for the dog to continue.

“There was no indication along the run (to Wolverine) that anything was wrong,'’ Steer said. Then, the dog dropped, and by the time Steer got the team stopped and ran forward, it was already dead.

Steer went on into the Wolverine checkpoint and scratched.

“I was considering scratching anyway,'’ he added. “The trail was really slow. There were a lot of sections that were sort of bottomless. It was a very difficult challenge.'’

Tough trail had front-runners, veterans and rookies all abandoning in about equal numbers. Former champ William Kleedehn from Carcross, Yukon, and early front-runner Gerry Willomitzer from Whitehorse both joined Steer in scratching. So did six other veterans and four of the eight rookies who entered the race needing to complete it to qualify for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race or the Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race — the big, long distance races later in the year.

Some of them might have seen their Iditarod or Quest dreams die in the severe winter weather along this trail.

Sometimes it was snowing so hard, Steer said, “that there were places where you couldn’t even see the trail.'’

Where the route followed the Trans-Alaska pipeline from near Summit Lake to Paxson, Steer said, there were old markers to follow near the right-of-way for the oil line, but no sign of the trail packed in by snowmobiles less than 24 hours before.

Farther south at Sourdough, where the trail veers away from near the Richardson Highway and heads out across the wilderness toward Lake Louise, there were reports of more than a foot of new snow, said Brad Parsons at Wolverine Lodge on the lake.

“It’s just been constant snow for just the last three days,'’ he said Monday night. “Further north they got like 18 inches of snow. It’s punchy and warm.'’

Were that not enough, he added, the winds were beginning to pick up Monday night as the trailing mushers in the depleted Copper River field battled their way back toward Glennallen.

Moore, the 49-year-old husband of Aliy Zirkle — the first woman to win the Quest — seems to thrive in these conditions.

The last time he won the CB300 conditions were so bad 21 mushers either withdrew before the start or quit the race. Four-time Iditarod champ Martin Buser was among the latter. He scratched for the first time in two decades of racing.

There was deep snow in 2005 too, and worse. Four snowmachiners got soaked after their sleds went through thin ice hidden beneath the snow on Paxson Lake before the race even began. At least there was no open water this year, and for Moore there was destined to be a bright side to the suffering.

The $4,120 winner’s take of the $15,000 Copper Basin purse was growing each time another team dropped out. The way it stood Monday night, Moore was looking at a probable payday of more than $5,000.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt