Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 20-Jul-2007, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Okay - I looked through this entire section and didn't see anything about Guinness recipes. They may be hiding somewhere. I thought about this idea after I read on another forum about Guinness and vanilla icecream. Thank you Robert Phoenix! I have collected several recipes and I will start off with my families favorite,

Guinness Braised Pork Roast

1 - 5 pound pork loin roast
3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 12 oz. bottle of Guinness

Wipe meat with damp cloth. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat.
Brown meat on all sides.
Remove to platter.
Add onions to pan; saute until tender.
Place portk roast in Dutch oven; spoon onions over roast.
Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
Add Guinness and cover.
Bring to a boil over moderate heat.
Reduce heat to low; cook approximately 2 and 1/2 hours or until roast is fork tender.
Remove roast to warm platter; thicken pan juices if desired.
Slice roast.
Enjoy

This is a wonderful recipe and the gravy it makes is the blackest most delicious gravy in the world.

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 20-Jul-2007, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

IRISH STEW WITH GUINESS

I got this recipe from a friend and it's one of our favorites since if we have friends for dinner, especially in fall and winter.

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds stewing beef
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cups Guinness
2 cups largely diced carrots
Sprig of fresh thyme
Chopped parsley, for garnish

METHOD:

Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, and cut into 2inch cubes. Toss beef with 1 tablespoon of the oil. In a small bowl, season the flour with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Toss meat with seasoned flour.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Reduce the heat, add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the skillet, cover, and cook gently for 5 minutes. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a casserole and pour half of the Guinness into the skillet. Bring Guinness to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan. Pour over the meat, along with the remaining Guinness. Add the carrots and thyme. Stir and adjust seasonings. Cover the casserole and simmer over low heat, or in a 300 degree F oven until the meat is tender, 2 to 3 hours.

Garnish the beef with parsley and serve.

Serves 6.

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
dundee 
Posted: 20-Jul-2007, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

1. Clean a tulip shaped glass (chilled is nice)
2. Draw a Pint
3. Enjoy biggrin.gif beer_mug.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
Sekhmet 
Posted: 20-Jul-2007, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Somewhere there's a recipe in my books for Guinness ice cream. Time for me to go look!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 21-Jul-2007, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

PMEmail Poster               
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 22-Jul-2007, 04:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Thanks for the web site. I have a friend who is getting married in November. She and the fella that she is marrying are both Guinness lovers. We were talking about recipes using Guinness and thought we would put together a dinner for some other Guinness lovers with every course containing Guinness. Interesting concept. I'll pass the results along when this happens!
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 23-Jul-2007, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Gwynhwyvar @ 22-Jul-2007, 05:18 AM)
Thanks for the web site.  I have a friend who is getting married in November.  She and the fella that  she is marrying are both Guinness lovers.

Oh, wait, let me look for that chocolate orange Guinness cake recipe. I may have stuck it on the St Paddy's Day thread. What a wedding cake it would make, especially for a fall wedding! I got it off the web, maybe it's in A Shrule Egan's list.

This is for a two-layer, 8" cake:

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
zest of 1 orange
4 eggs
1/2 cup Guinness Extra stout
---
Icing Recipe
---
1/4 cup butter, softened
1-3/4 cups powdered sugar
zest and juice of 1 orange

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease two 8 or 9-inch cake pans. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa into a bowl. Add the orange rind to the creamed butter and beat in the eggs, one at a time, including a spoonful of the measured flour mixture with each one, and beating well between additions.

Gently mix in the Guinness, a tablespoonful at a time, including another spoonful of flour with each addition. If there's any flour left over, fold it in gently to mix; blend thoroughly without over-beating. Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth down, and put the cakes into the center of the preheated oven. Reduce the heat to moderate (350F) and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cakes are springy to the touch and shrinking slightly in the pans. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.

Icing Instructions -

Cream butter and sugar. Blend in orange juice and zest. Ice bottom layer with 1/3 cup icing. Place second layer on top. Ice sides with half remaining icing. Use the rest of the icing on the top. Store cake in an airtight container.

I would say some professional baker would be able to tell you how to expand the recipe for enough servings -- maybe a double-layered sheet cake and then larger and smaller two-layer cakes centered on top, to make tiers. It's heavy enough in texture to hold up to that, I think. It would be lovely decorated simply, with fresh orange blossoms or some other light frothy flower. I've made it a few times -- it's a moist heavy cake, the molasses in the brown sugar marries the thick, dark Guinness "personality" -- hard to go wrong. I might add in a good double handful of golden raisins that have been soaked in Guinness for a few days too, if it's for a wedding cake. Make a little one first to try it.
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 25-Jul-2007, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

I just finally got a chance to get a look at that site...and that is a just plain evil, evil site. Therefore I am obligated to try at least six of them before it's all over. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 26-Dec-2007, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (dundee @ 20-Jul-2007, 04:23 PM)
2. Draw a Pint
3. Enjoy biggrin.gif  beer_mug.gif

straight out of the bottle is nice too! No glass to wash afterwards, just dump in garbage can or recycle.

cheers.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 08-Jan-2008, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ 26-Dec-2007, 11:42 PM)
QUOTE (dundee @ 20-Jul-2007, 04:23 PM)
2. Draw a Pint
3. Enjoy biggrin.gif  beer_mug.gif

straight out of the bottle is nice too! No glass to wash afterwards, just dump in garbage can or recycle.

cheers.gif

maggiemahone1

But couldn't Guinness find a better brewery to brew it here in the States for them???? Really, getting Budweiser to make something THEY call Guinness. What an insult. Real Guinness takes about 20 minutes to pour a pint and doesn't taste anything like that crap that Bud is pawning off as the real thing.

I suspect Guinness went with Bud because of their distribution system but to cut the quality of your product.......... sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 09-Jan-2008, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (A Shrule Egan @ 08-Jan-2008, 06:40 PM)

But couldn't Guinness find a better brewery to brew it here in the States for them???? Really, getting Budweiser to make something THEY call Guinness. What an insult. Real Guinness takes about 20 minutes to pour a pint and doesn't taste anything like that crap that Bud is pawning off as the real thing.

I suspect Guinness went with Bud because of their distribution system but to cut the quality of your product.......... sad.gif

me thinks you have it wrong... In Ireland, Budweiser is one of the leading lager brands; it is brewed, marketed, and sold by Guinness. But Guinness is imported from Ireland... at least mine is. also they have a different recipe for almost every country so if you want "true" Guinness like they drink in Ireland you will need to find your self in a pub in Ireland::beermug

ps... i will double check my can tonight thumbs_up.gif
stoirmeil 
Posted: 09-Jan-2008, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I like Guinness here just fine, but the bhoys I know in Dublin say the stuff they export to the US is "pure scour." (meaning lousy) Maybe they're just bragging. I never had it bottled or on tap over there -- is it so different? sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 09-Jan-2008, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

ST JAMES’S GATE
Welcome home. GUINNESS® was first brewed at St. James’s Gate over two centuries ago. Today the Dublin brewery produces GUINNESS® Draught for Ireland, the UK, Europe and the United States. GUINNESS® Essence is also brewed here - it’s a vital ingredient in all the GUINNESS® beer brewed everywhere else, guaranteeing that all our GUINNESS® includes a wee drop from Dublin.

http://www.guinness.com/global/beer/brewing/where/

Meaning, the extract is brewed in Ireland and then sent to the U.S for Budweiser to butcher it into nearly swill.

Fortunately, I still have a few of the real stuff in my fridge from the last trip to Ireland. Believe me, there is a big difference in the taste.

Americans and Canadians who go over to Ireland and drink the Budweiser that is brewed by Guinness, say it is far better than what is made in North America. I'll take their word for it.
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 09-Jan-2008, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (A Shrule Egan @ 09-Jan-2008, 06:28 PM)
ST JAMES’S GATE
Welcome home. GUINNESS® was first brewed at St. James’s Gate over two centuries ago. Today the Dublin brewery produces GUINNESS® Draught for Ireland, the UK, Europe and the United States.

http://www.guinness.com/global/beer/brewing/where/

not looking to argue but your own quote states st james brews it for the US.
just checked my cans it says" brewed in Ireland by Guinness & Co. St. James Gate Dublin Ireland... imported by Diageo-Guinness USA Norwalk Ct"....not a word about budwieser. you sir are wrong. rolleyes.gif have a guinness beer_mug.gif
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 10-Jan-2008, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

biggrin.gif You missed it again. The key word is "Extract". Then Guinness can put on the cans that it is "brewed" in Ireland. Basically, like Coors does with the beer that is "brewed in West Virginia. They send the extract from Colorado and mix it with the local water and call it Coors.

Really, you need to go to Ireland and try the real thing. When are we going? laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]