Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

Do you remember:

Roller Derby, holly Hobby, or when the magic eight balls were all the hype? Atari, the Muppet show,or being a faithful watcher of the Dukes of Hazard?
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
gcw57 
Posted: 23-Sep-2006, 04:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Realm: British Columbia

male

Wow! I just read 11 pages of memories and I can share most of them!

I remember using the clackers in the hall at school and getting a right reaming out...they were quickly banned within school.

I remember "F Troop" with Larry Storch as "Corporal Agarn" and Ken Berry as "Captain Palmenter".

"Dark Shadows", I think, was the first soap opera that kids ever watched. Do you remember "Quentin's Theme"?

I recall being so small that I could lie on the shelf under the back window in the car and watching the stars as we drove.

I collected pop bottle caps with the cork liners that you could pull out, put inside your shirt and press the bottle cap onto it from the front of your shirt so you could wear them as a badge. I loved "Orange Crush". I remember going to A&W and buying a gallon of Root Beer in a huge glass bottle! beer_mug.gif

I remember a set of army toys that included tanks with moving treads, ambulance with opening rear doors, troop carriers and dozens of little green men! Boy, I wish I still had those tucked up somewhere - they would be worth a fortune!

The first song I ever requested on a radio station was "She's Just My Style" by Gary Lewis and the Playboys for my girlfriend Jane. He didn't play it and I always remembered that when I was working in radio and always tried to play the requests. note.gif

Well, I'm sure that's more than enough from me! It was fun reading all the posts and remembering the things mentioned.

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 18-Oct-2006, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Sigh. Read through all the pages and knew or had about 98% of them. Here's a few more from back in the day.
Captain Action, Major Matt Mason, and the Aurora Monster and Superhero models.
Tonka toys made out of metaL, not plastic.
Cartoons only on Saturday morning till noon. Bugs Bunny, Wacky races, Scooby Doo, Superheros like Superman, Batman (cartoon and live) and those badly drawn Marvel cartoons.
Hanna Barbera, and Sid and Marty Kroft. Shazam/Isis show
H. R. Puffinstuff (hate to see Barney try to be friends with Witchiepoo)
Big Wheels and crazy carts, mold makers and Easy Bake ovens
When the face on the Burger King character was a real person, not some mask.
The Sheriff and crook mascots for Hardees. Were do you think the big star logo is from?
Only 3 channels plus PBS. Sesame street, Electric Company, and Mister rodgers-in that order.
The Osmonds vs the Jacksons.
Those "don't touch the blasting caps" and "watch out for the rub-on tattoos laced with drugs" commercials
Comics and stamps-8cents, gas 25 cents, and mego action figures for the guys.
A mouse was an animal chased by a cat named Jerry and virus protection was a scarf and Vicks vapor rub.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 19-Oct-2006, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (Roberto Phoenix @ 18-Oct-2006, 10:31 PM)

Tonka toys made out of metaL, not plastic.
Cartoons only on Saturday morning till noon. Bugs Bunny, Wacky races, Scooby Doo, Superheros like Superman, Batman (cartoon and live) and those badly drawn Marvel cartoons.

Big Wheels and crazy carts, mold makers and Easy Bake ovens

Those "don't touch the blasting caps" and "watch out for the rub-on tattoos laced with drugs" commercials

A mouse was an animal chased by a cat named Jerry and virus protection was a scarf and Vicks vapor rub.

i remeber those days! The big wheels were so cool back then!
LORD RHYS 
Posted: 27-Oct-2006, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: NEW PORT RICHEY FL

male

Do you remember trick or treating without worrying !
Do you rememer riding you bike away from home and your parents didnt have to worry
Black waX chewable mustaches , dot candies on that paper roll , lickmaid. penny gumballs , 5 cent candy bars!

Saturday TV Shows..

Rin Tin Tin
Roy Rogers
Sky King
My Friend Flicka
Lone Ranger
Circus Boy
Fury
Huckleberyy Hound Show
Rocky and Bullwinkle

--------------------
"True conformity to the dictates of nature requires reverence for the past and solicitude for the future. 'Nature' is not simply the sensation of the passing moment; it is eternal, though we evanescent men experience only a fragment of it. We have no right to imperil the happiness of posterity by impudently tinkering with the heritage of humanity."

"Every right is married to a duty, every freedom owns a corresponding responsibility. There cannot be genuine freedom unless there exists also genuine order in the moral realm and in the social realm."
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 27-Oct-2006, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Arglwydd Rhys! Mae gennyf fi lyfr am eich cyfenw yn yr iaith Gymraeg. Croeso i'r negesfwrdd!

Yes, I remember them. I especially loved Rocky & Bullwinkle, bad puns and all. You might add a few more to your list for the silverheads among us: Howdie Doodie, Ed Sullivan, Truth or Consequences (with Bob Barker, can you believe it?), What's my Line, The Jackie Gleason Show, The Mike Douglas Show, Jack Paar, American Bandstand, The Red Skelton Show, Rowan & Martin's Laugh In.

I recall my parents just saying "go out and play". I'd find my friends and be gone all day. We had a signal, taking a piece of grass between the thumbs and blowing. If you heard it you knew that the game's afoot. My mother finally placed a large metal triangle next to the front door, and when she rang it, I knew it was my signal to come to dinner. It was funny, right out of an old western smack dab in cloistered suburbia. If I was too far to hear it I missed out. "All the more for us" was the typical refrain. Consequently, I learned to make it home on time.

I remember trick or treating w/o worry or parents in tow, except for the little ones. Swarms of baby boomlets running amok through the neighborhood like errant bees on mass-produced candy crusade. Got home about 10ish, spilled a grocery bag of candy on the floor and began to negotiate heated trades with my brothers like midget commodity brokers. Riding bikes all day w/o helmets or knee pads, sledding down a mile long twisted road in winter, wiping out in an eight foot ravine occasionally, piling our sleds in front of the snowplows in futile protest to the end of our fun, dirtball battles in summer, raking the leaves and burning them in the street after jumping in them for an hour, building a treefort in the woods with some friends and camping out in it at night, 50 cent weekly allowance all blown on bubble gum causing my parent's allowance to be blown on dentistry, impromptu baseball games involving much of the neighborhood, my father practicing his crow calls in the back yard. An idyllic contrast to the precautionary micromanagement of childhood today.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 28-Oct-2006, 08:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Antwn @ 27-Oct-2006, 05:19 PM)

I remember trick or treating w/o worry or parents in tow, except for the little ones. Swarms of baby boomlets running amok through the neighborhood like errant bees on mass-produced candy crusade. Got home about 10ish, spilled a grocery bag of candy on the floor and began to negotiate heated trades with my brothers like midget commodity brokers. Riding bikes all day w/o helmets or knee pads, sledding down a mile long twisted road in winter, wiping out in an eight foot ravine occasionally, piling our sleds in front of the snowplows in futile protest to the end of our fun, dirtball battles in summer, raking the leaves and burning them in the street after jumping in them for an hour, building a treefort in the woods with some friends and camping out in it at night, 50 cent weekly allowance all blown on bubble gum causing my parent's allowance to be blown on dentistry, impromptu baseball games involving much of the neighborhood, my father practicing his crow calls in the back yard. An idyllic contrast to the precautionary micromanagement of childhood today.

smile.gif

Every bit of it. You could have been my twin. What a loss to the nose and the soul, when the ordinances against burning piles of leaves in the nose-biting air of October went into effect (for that matter, when October itself could still bite your nose, or when your trick or treating could still be done with a few dry flakes of snow coming down.)

We did two rounds of trick or treat, my brother and I, and my mother would shrivel up and die if she knew I was telling you -- we went out at dusk, in old sheets with two eye-holes cut in, for enough of a haul to fill her candy bowl to give out, then we ranged all over for hours til after 10 on our own. There were a few families who made cider and donut parties in their barns for us, too.
PMEmail Poster               
gwen 
Posted: 31-Oct-2006, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Utah

female

why is that our childhood always seem so magical compared to our children's lives? do you think they feel like they are missing anything? it is so wonderful to share with my own small ones the things i enjoyed as child...

banana seat bikes with flower-covered baskets, sit-n-spins, muppets, "the apple dumpling gang," Dick and Jane books (thank you ebay), and so many other things.

--------------------
warm heart, warm hearth
bring me to thee-
out of the world's bluster and bite.
i'll hold my children
in a place soft and light,
and welcome the wanderer
that knocks at my door.
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 31-Oct-2006, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

Sometimes I think they got it better though, I mean, who wouldn't like cartoons 24/7 and not just on saturday mornings, Kwim?
LORD RHYS 
Posted: 31-Oct-2006, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

male

QUOTE (Antwn @ 27-Oct-2006, 05:19 PM)
Arglwydd Rhys! Mae gennyf fi lyfr am eich cyfenw yn yr iaith Gymraeg. Croeso i'r negesfwrdd!

Yes, I remember them. I especially loved Rocky & Bullwinkle, bad puns and all. You might add a few more to your list for the silverheads among us: Howdie Doodie, Ed Sullivan, Truth or Consequences (with Bob Barker, can you believe it?), What's my Line, The Jackie Gleason Show, The Mike Douglas Show, Jack Paar, American Bandstand, The Red Skelton Show, Rowan & Martin's Laugh In.

I recall my parents just saying "go out and play". I'd find my friends and be gone all day. We had a signal, taking a piece of grass between the thumbs and blowing. If you heard it you knew that the game's afoot. My mother finally placed a large metal triangle next to the front door, and when she rang it, I knew it was my signal to come to dinner. It was funny, right out of an old western smack dab in cloistered suburbia. If I was too far to hear it I missed out. "All the more for us" was the typical refrain. Consequently, I learned to make it home on time.

Yup remember all those shows to.. Sat. play often didnt start till after those shows were over. I miss the crsip Oct air the beautiful leaves as they burned and that wonderful smell they had when burning. Time just goes to fast sad.gif And I do think our kids and grandkids are missing something so much has changed and they are made ( for lack of a better term ) to grow up faster than we boomies .
PMEmail Poster               
gwen 
Posted: 31-Oct-2006, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

female

i think they only grow up fast if we make them. i'm home when my son comes home from school, my daughter has never ridden her bike farther than the corner, and they don't watch a lot of television, so they don't get exposed to a lot of the influences that would age them or spoil them. they still enjoy a hike through gold aspens on a frosty day. they love cuddling with a good book, even the oldies but goodies like "The Velveteen Rabbit" and all the Shel Silverstein stories and poems. they love making cookies and playing tag and hide and seek and messing around with hula hoops and frisbees and many of the same things that we enjoyed. i think we just have to be careful about what they are exposed to.
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 01-Nov-2006, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

I was thinking about all the old sitcom's that used to be on, like The facts of life, give me a break, etc. I know there were a few others that I watched around that time when I was little, but I can't remember them.
gwen 
Posted: 02-Nov-2006, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

female

"Webster" was one of my favorites at home. My grandparents had cable, though, and I loved watching all the old shows on Nickelodeon like "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". Those were the best. And do y'all remember when "The Muppet Show" was in prime time? That would never happen nowadays, but I loved it!
PMEmail Poster               
LORD RHYS 
Posted: 02-Nov-2006, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Leave it to Beaver
Donna Reed Show
Father Knows best
Ozzie & Harriet
National Velvet ( had a crush on the star Lori Martin )
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
My Three Sons
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 02-Nov-2006, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

I remember gun smoke and my three sons, but I believe they were still before my time. Oh, I remember different strokes and silver spoons too.
Yeah, the muppet show was awesome!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]