Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 03-Aug-2004, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

Sir Arthur Connan Doyle & Lady Agatha Christy have got to be the top two of my list.
PMEmail Poster                
Ladybug1258 
Posted: 03-Aug-2004, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA

female

Those were good ones, too. I only wish the well hadn't run dry with the Agatha Christie. I read all of them currently available in our local library and every one I could nab in the interlibrary loan system too, so no further travel down those tracks! Have you ever picked up one by Elizabeth Peters? Many of those based in the archeological theme in Egypt were fun reads as well.
PMEmail Poster                
deckers 
Posted: 04-Aug-2004, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

World's Strongest Humor Writer
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, since I'm supposed to be a big burly manly man, but when I was 10 or so, I read the entire Trixie Belden series (my wife tells me that the series was for girls!). However, in my defense, I was an avid reader even then, and would a shampoo bottle if nothing else was available.

If anyone wants some good Scottish mysteries, check out M.C. Beaton's books. The hero is Hamish MacBeth, a police constable in the fictional village of Lochdubh (pronounced Lock Doo). I just discovered them a few months ago, and have borrowed three from a local coffee shop.

Another favorite is John Sandford's "Prey" series. I'm currently reading through the whole series in chronological order.

I love mysteries myself, and will raid the Barnes & Noble bargain bins for all the hardcover English, Irish, and Scottish mysteries. I also write radio theater plays about a hard-boiled, poorly-cliched private eye, Slick Bracer. These "murder comedies" (a little gallows humor!) parody old-time radio detectives, and I usually take my inspiration from other murder mysteries I've read.

Erik

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Danann 
Posted: 04-Aug-2004, 09:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Alabama

female

I'm also in the Agatha Christe fan club as well as Mary Higgins Clark, but recent'ly I have discovered a new writting team that has captivated me! Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown. Sneaky Pie actually writes the book, her human just writes them out, seeing as she's a cat and can't manage the keyboard. The story series follows the postmistress of Crozet Virginia Mary Minor Haristeen "Harry" to all in town... and her cat Miss Murphy and Welsh Corgi Tee Tucker as they keep falling into the plots of murders and mysteries in there little town. Its fun, and written by an animal... had to take a look!

--------------------
So, I have an new site that is pretty neat, Check out Dannah's Home Page

Also, for original storys or thoughts from me, check out my blog: Dannah's Blog
cori 
Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

I don't read too many mysteries, but Agatha Christie is to good to refuse. She has to be my favorite.

--------------------

Leslie

~That would be an awfully big adventure.

~Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
PMEmail Poster                
susieq76 
Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Wow - Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, P.D. James, Wilkie Collins, Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden, and of course The Bobbsey Twins are all-time faves! Decker, please let us know when you come across great Irish/Scottish/British writers. I have written down M.C. Beaton and will try and find any of those books I can. Thanks, everyone for the great ideas!

Just a side note - there is a website called christianbook.com that offers some great classic and even hard to find books at a scandalously low price. It has mostly christian books, but you can also find some others at incredibly cheap prices.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
deckers 
Posted: 07-Sep-2004, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

World's Strongest Humor Writer
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

If you want other good UK mystery writers, try Colin Dexter, author of the Inspector Morse mysteries. He's one of my favorites, although I feel like I'm slogging through the books at times.

Michael Gilbert, author of the Petrella series is good. I also like Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks, Deborah Kincaid's Inspector Kincaid/Gemma James, and Ian Rankin, whose Inspector Rebus lives and works in Edinburgh.

The best place to find good UK mysteries is to raid the bargain shelves at Barnes & Noble or Borders. I've found several good ones that way. But while the authors have several books, I can usually only find one or two. So it's always a treat when I spot a new one in the shops.

Another good place is a mystery book shop. The closest one to me is in downtown Ann Arbor, Michigan. Someone like that will probably be able to rattle off several authors for you.
susieq76 
Posted: 07-Sep-2004, 03:48 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Thanks so much for the recommendations, Deckers! I will try to find those as soon as possible. Barnes & Noble may as well have rights to my soul, as often as I am in there! unsure.gif
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 22-Sep-2004, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

Good Mystery Books are also written by Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael-Mysteries) and Peter Tremayne (Sister Fidelma-Mysteries).

Brother Cadfael is a benedictine monk living in the 1100s a.d. in England and he solves mysteries while Sister Fidelma is a religieuse as well as a qualified advocate of the ancient law courts of Ireland in the midseventh century a.d.

They are wonderful written and Crime Scene Investigation is done without technology.

Pretty good to read. I love them very much.

Give it a try! thumbs_up.gif king.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
susieq76 
Posted: 22-Sep-2004, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

I sure will. Thanks so much!
Dugadelphia 
Posted: 22-Sep-2004, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: The Pacific Northwest...land of tall trees, blue water, software and endless lattes

male

Jamie Harrison wrote a set of 4 mysteries set in fictional Blue Deer, Montana. The books are filled with various flawed characters and accounts of rural life. Jamie's strength is in her character development.

I enjoyed all four and therefore recommend "On the Edge of the Crazies," "Goling Local," "An Unfortunate Prarie Occurence" and "Blue Deer Thaw."

--------------------
Welcome to the Machine...
PMEmail Poster               
RedPop4 
Posted: 29-Jan-2009, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Metropolitan New Orleans

male

I'm a huge fan of Cadfael, I've been reading these for ten years and more, now. I read through the series at least once a year, and I often go back to particular favorites when I'm in between books, and not certain what I might wish to read.

Particular ones are St. Peter's Fair, The Rose Rent, An Excellent Mystery

--------------------
Humility is the root, mother, nurse, foundation, and bond of all virtue.
- St. John Chrysostom
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt