RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 29-Mar-2007, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

Thank you oldraven. I always wondered. I am not from Illinois. I just happen to live here since I was 6. My home is the mountains of Virginia. I am a coal miner's grandaughter. I asked Gram my heritage and she told me half our family came over on the ship and the other half were here to greet them. Momma said we are mutts, a mix of just about everything. My 4-H leader called us hines 57 variety. They all taught me to stand proud of who I am and of all my people. The way you put things I guess that would make Jim half German, well acutually Prussian seeing as his mother's people came over before there was a Germany, and half Canadian.
We are all family.
RebeccaAnn
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 30-Mar-2007, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Bill Murry said it best in Stripes. "Our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world! We are the wretched refuse. We're mutts! Here's proof! His nose is cold!"

100% pure bred American Mutt!

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 02-Apr-2007, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

I don't know Bill Murry and you may be pure mutt with a cold nose but I have found that most mutts including you have a warm heart. It is the warm heart that is the most important. Besides if it wasn't for us mutts that constantly get chased out of places and as a result have become mighty fighters this world wouldn't be much. It is the born fighters and warriors who survive.
RebeccaAnn
PMEmail Poster               
BrengaAstur4me 
Posted: 03-Apr-2007, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

asturias and galicia are most certainly celtic nations, read a history book or look it up
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 03-Aug-2007, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (BrengaAstur4me @ 03-Apr-2007, 05:44 PM)
asturias and galicia are most certainly celtic nations, read a history book or look it up

Nice first post. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 09-Feb-2008, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Irish

The Scots that settled (some unwillingly) in Northern Ireland are called Ulster Scots.
I did an Irish Studies minor in university...it finally comes in handy. lol

--------------------
Many times man lives and dies
Between his two eternities,
That of race and that of soul
And ancient Ireland knew it all.

" To a Scot, the past clings like sand to wet feet,
and is carried about as a burden.
The many ghosts are always a part of them, inescapable."
Geddes MacGregor

Hope, fear, false-joy, and trouble,
Are these four winds which daily toss this bubble,
His breath’s a vapour, and his life’s a span;
Tis glorious misery to be born a man.
~ from a Cornish gravestone

"Now I perceive the devil understands Welsh.”
"God defend me from that Welsh fairy,
Lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!”
William Shakespeare quotes

"Onen hag Oll", One and All (Cornwall's motto)
PMEmail Poster               
Boudica 
Posted: 21-Mar-2008, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

I think I see where there might be some confusion coming in to play here. The Ulster Scots and the Irish that settled in Dal Riada are two different groups separated by a few hundred years.

The Ulster Scots are indeed from Scotland. They were Scots that emigrated and settled in Ulster starting around 1600. They mostly came from Galloway, Ayrshire, the Border, and the Lowlands. There is a really cool museum near Omagh in Northern Ireland the the Ulster-Scot Agency has. http://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/

The Irish that settled in Dal Riada came over much earlier. Clan Lamont's (on my da's side) first recorded Chief is Sir Lauman in 1235. My da's had the genetic tracing done and he is indeed descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages, the progenitor of the Uí Néill in Ireland. The connection between Lamont and Ulster can be seen in the symbol for Ulster and the Lamont clan badge. Both feature a raised left hand.

This second group is the one that is credited with intermarrying with the Picts and settling in Scotland.

It's really easy to get confused with the history of the Celtic Nations! All I can recommend is to read, read, read, and then read some more. And get your butt over there if you can. I was there with my family in Sept 2006 and we're going back next year for the Gathering. And in a few years, I'm moving there!

--------------------
Twelve men and a piper make a rebellion. - Scottish proverb
PMEmail Poster               
Boudica 
Posted: 21-Mar-2008, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

This is what I get for trying to post when I'm tired and hungry!

OldRaven said it best - When you get down to it, we're all Celts! In fact, whenever I'm asked for ethnicity on forms, I mark "Other" and the fill in Celt. Confuses the snot out of people around here! tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Jermy 
Posted: 21-Jan-2010, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pilsen, Czech Republic

male

Not seeing a Czech flag as a 'Celtic Nation', I thought I'd post here smile.gif Folks often ask us (and quite reasonably so) 'What's a band from the Czech Republic doing playing Irish, Scotttish and Breton music?' and our answer is usually, 'Well, apart from it being bloomin lovely music, Celtic-ness is deep in the heart of this country'. There are remains of Celtic settlements and hill forts here, and, well, we have Czech bagpipes too! All the best from Jeremy and Poitin.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View my Facebook Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]