> Recipe wanted, Shepherds' pie
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 30-Mar-2002, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

:) I have always herd about a dish called Shepherds' Pie, but recipies I find are like hambuger gravy. Is there really such a dish made with lamb?
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 30-Mar-2002, 08:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

I found this on a site I have.  I hope it's what you're looking for.  Here's the html:http://www.almanac.com/cgi-bin/net.Thread.pl/message/6/950/1?user=&email=&depth=7&detail=description&lastread=7
It's called Scottish Pie.
Here's also the web site: http://www.almanac.com/index.html
The recipe is in  Neighborly Recipe Exchange.
There's alot of wonderful recipes in there.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 05-Apr-2002, 05:13 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

:D Thanks so much. That is a great site. The recipies I found were most inlighting. We forget here in Michigan, that the pasties of the UP's claim of fame, were brought here by celtic settlers.
Thank you so much.  (gift)
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 05-Apr-2002, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Kentucky

Thanks Alaska for the Farmer's Almanac recipes! Unfortunately, my husband cought a glimpse of the ingredients for Haggis. We ate some Haggis for Burns Night - now he swears he will never eat Haggis again!  :(

My momma used to make shepherd's pie like this - the bottom layer, meaty part was made just like a meatloaf with oatmeal, onion, and an egg mixed with a pound of ground beef. Pat the raw meatloaf mixture into the bottom of your baking pan or iron skillet (should look like a big giant flat "hamburger"). Then the filling was mostly mashed potatoes, but we added other vegetables (in layers) if we had them, such as a layer of corn and a layer of green beans and then a layer of mashed potatoes. Then you smooth off the top and sprinkle it with a handful of grated cheese (cheddar is best but American cheese slices will do) and you bake it for about 30 - 45 minutes.

This was how my mother used up all of the leftovers in the refrigerator at the end of the week!  :O  (h)

--------------------
Slainte,

Janet

aka Kentucky Lassie

aka Janet, Queen of Scots :p
PMEmail Poster               
canmac2 
Posted: 22-Jun-2002, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Ontario, Canada

male

Here's a good recipe from England...
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000000713.asp
;)

--------------------
Canmac2 from Ontario
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 23-Jun-2002, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

::confused This recipe looks great; it is just what I wanted. The recipe calls for a swede, what is that? My brother is a  swede, but he sure weighs more than 3 ozs. I don't feel he would ad much flavor to the dish, though he could certainly spare 3 ozs at a time for many years.  :-0
PMEmail Poster               
Merlyn 
Posted: 28-Jun-2002, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Hi everyone,
  The shepards pie recipe I have used for many years is very simple. I usually take 5-6 large potatoes, slice them into 1"-2" chunks and boil until tender then I make mashed potatoes to taste, I then brown about 2 lbs of hamburger and season to taste, I then drain the grease and put the cooked meat into the bottom of a large cast iron dutch oven or a deep dish glass oven pan (or anything really), I flatten the meat so it is evenly in the bottom of the pan and I cover that with a 1" layer of corn (canned corn is fine), on top of this I put a
1 1/2" to 2" layer of mashed potatoes. I then cover the mixture and bake on 350 deg for 30 minutes I then uncover and bake for another 30 minutes or until the top of the mashed potatoes is a light golden brown. This may take longer or shorter depending on your oven. Its a very easy recipe and you really cant mess it up.  My kids all love this meal...as a matter of fact I think I might make it tonight. You could use shredded beef or lamb or probably anything of the sort and Im sure it would still taste great. Well I hope this helps...Take care
Mike
"Merlyn"
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 08:59 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

British Cottage Pie is made with minced beef.  SHEPHERD's Pie is made from minced lamb - hence Shepherd in the title!

1.5 lb minced lamb
2/3 large carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
1 large onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
half a medium sized swede, diced
About pint of stock
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Fry off the mince to brown it and then put into a deep saucepan.  Then fry the onion until golden and add to the mince.  Add the carrot and swede and add stock to just cover the ingredients.  Bring slowly up to the boil and then simmer for approx one and a half hours, or until the meat and veg are cooked.

Boil a quantity of potatoes and mash with butter and milk.
Thicken the gravy of the lamb/veg mix  (I use cornflour, but arrowroot would do) so that the gravy now is coating all the veg, meat but no excess fluid is present.

Put this mix into a casserole or other oven proof dish.  Cover the meat/veg mix with the mashed potatoes, put 'peaks'  all over the top and dot with a little butter.  Put under a hot grill until the peaks are nice and  brown..

Voila... shepherd's pie!  :D

I THINK that the nearest veg in the States to what we call swede is something called rutabaga? (or so some of my American friends tell me!;)
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 25-Nov-2002, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

::viking Thank you so much Catriona for this.  (d) I knew it had to be lamb or mutton. Yes in the states we call a swede a rutabaga. Thank you again.   :)
PMEmail Poster               
Celeste of the Stars1 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Catriona @ Nov 22 2002, 09:59 AM)
British Cottage Pie is made with minced beef.  SHEPHERD's Pie is made from minced lamb - hence Shepherd in the title!

With shepard in the title one would think it was made with minced shepard biggrin.gif

--------------------
Have a day!

Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
*Celeste of the Stars*

"Always shoot for the moon that way if you miss you'll always land among the stars"

'An it harm non do what you will'
PMEmail Poster                
scottish2 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Cabbagehome @ Mar 30 2002, 08:54 PM)
smile.gif I have always herd about a dish called Shepherds' Pie, but recipies I find are like hambuger gravy. Is there really such a dish made with lamb?

Yumm. We have one French Restaurant in the area that makes a great Shepards Pie. I just wish they would put it on their every day menu and not just their daily specials menu.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]