Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What's Your Occupation?, (or, what pays the bills?)
freekenny 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo Keltic,
If you ever get back into sailing you will hear me say, 'freekenny reporting for duty as a crew member' kenshin2.gif I think it would be such a joyous experience to sail the open waters beer.gif Hopefully I won't be one of the crew members that are leaning over the side dry.gif lol.gif
~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
talleyrand 
Posted: 26-Aug-2004, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

They pay me to write programs. Most days it's more fun than real work (at least for me) so I absolutely love it here. Granted, what we do here isn't all the exciting, we're basically a consulting group for some national and international companies' marketing departments (basically marketing departments are the low people on the companies' totem pole for getting IT work done so they hire us for our expertise). What it really boils down to is that we keep some very large address books and attributes about people. We use that information to help our clients make better decisions about their marketing campaigns but I prefer our DBAs versionof what we do "We send you junk mail. In fact, we're the SOBs that picked your name to target." And now that I've been inflamatory, unless you are a farmer, a veterinarian (small or large animal), deal with selling tires or golf courses/grounds keeping, we probably don't bother you.

I try to spend most of my days immersed in SQL Server, Python and .NET stuff. Mmmm python. I love that language. Today I'm working on an process to sweep an IMAP box and process bounce backs, opt-outs (we take those very serious) and some other trivial things.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Spradley 
Posted: 02-Sep-2004, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Rocky Mtn Highlander and Renaissance Scot
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Colorado

male

I am the parts manager for a Volkswagen dealer.

Slainte beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Sláinte

Brad

Deus Juvat "God Assists"

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 02-Sep-2004, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Granada, Spain

male

Basicly Studying now, almost finished computer ingeneering at UGR. Anyway, I don't like to work with those damm machines, so I'm trying to get a languages degree (nothing like people!).

My parents pay my bill now (I guess that's not an occupation !) but as I don't get on well with them, they just pay what they have to, and I really want to quit home (not that easy tough).

I worked a bit with databases, and in a bar. Now I'm delivering pizzas with a scooter.

If I'm lucky, I'll manage to get a proper job as receptionist in a youth hostel, but If I do (I don't think I will at all) it will be hard to work 6 hours a day and study at the same time... Anyway, that will be a great job!
PMEmail Poster               
scotelass 
Posted: 02-Sep-2004, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacOak

female

I have my degree in Early Childhood Education and I've been a child care facility administrator. I'm currently between employment. biggrin.gif

--------------------
scotelass, clan CUNNINGHAM
PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
  Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 01:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

I work as a helpdesk analyst for the United States Postal Service...that's how I got to know that funny guy Aaediwen that frequents these hallowed chambers! He actually got me interested in this site from the get-go...I haven't had internet for a while and I really missed the music. So I get to talk with Postal workers, help fix computers, and pretty much live life to its fullest!
(oh yeah, "gettin away", my wife's family is from Otisville, MI. Her father originally hails from Clio as well! It's a small world after all!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aragorn 
Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Wow, you all have interesting jobs...I work as a technical support analyst for one of the top 3 memory manufacturers. I handle phone calls all day telling wonderful people how to install their new memory modules or troubleshooting problems after they install them. I have been doing this for the past 4 years. I am also going to college to get my computer science degree, currently working on my third year. Before that I owned a cellular phone business for a year.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I track people down on the 'Net. I work for Duke University, and spend my days tracking down the addresses for lost alumni, parents, house staff and friends, ostensibly so that Duke can stay in touch with them. I am responsible for keeping Duke's lost alumni rate the lowest in the country. I am also in school, and will finally get my AA degree in December (after 5 years of part-time school)!! Woo-hoo!!!! There are so many things I want to do, but I love doing research of any kind. So, I don't really know what I want to do next. If I could do what I dreamed, I would be an astronomer. I don't think that will happen. So, I guess I am sort of rudderless, right now - waiting to figure out what I am going to do next. Scary and exciting. As long as it can support my daughter and I.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMMy Photo Album               
Iago 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 12:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Carlsbad, California

male

I am a numismatist. Want to talk about out there in left field. It as a family business started back in 1980 by my wifes step-father. Now I am his lead salesman (no big accomplishment considering there are only three), his webmaster, his in house IT manager, assistant marketing manager, CFO (well, at least I buy everything in that office), and other prestigous and noteworthy titles I could give myself.....such is life in the small business world.

--------------------
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
talleyrand 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

numismatist = coin collector if you're ignorant like me wink.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Cailiosa 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

At the moment I am a poor college student struggling to find a part time job to bring in a little cash flow. I am studying to be middle school teacher and would like to someday be a missionary teacher in Romania.

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

I'm a signwriter, been running my own shop for 20 years
www.camriversigns.com.au

--------------------
Iago 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Carlsbad, California

male

numismatist = coin collector if you're ignorant like me

SOOOO sorry, I actually meant to put that in there.
Lady Anandrea 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 11:55 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Nova Scotia Canada

female

I am a Paint Princess,literally.Thats what it says on my name tag! I am a paint consultant in our local hardware store. I also make home visits to assist people in their color choices.Its a very creative outlet,and feel free to ask me any questions. tongue.gif One of my fav colors is Celtic Lament......a beautiful soft earthy green!****Lady Anandrea***

--------------------
***Lady Anandrea***
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted: 07-Sep-2004, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

Well, at the moment, nothing. You may (or may not) have noticed my absence here of late. That's because I was laid off from my job in sales/marketing for a VoIP company last Tuesday (8/31). So I've spent the last week cleaning house, paying the bills with my severance pay, making some new and renewing some old contacts, and testing the job market. I started my own company a few weeks ago making pinback buttons for use as fundraisers. My business partner and I are marketing them to civic org. (DAV, AmVets, etc.) and church groups. The DAV will be selling them at the state fair here in TN this year. It's been tough getting it off the ground while working a full time job, so maybe it's for the best. I haven't been depressed this time, like I was the last time I was laid off from a job. The mood around the house has been upbeat and positive.

Anyway, I can always do some freelance graphic design and web design work. Or maybe go back to playing music. Or maybe stand on the corner with a sign.

Oh, well. Back to cleaning the house.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]