> Could Animals Really Be Are Friends?, a question that been brothering others
Bookmark and Share
Hugo 
  Posted: 14-Feb-2005, 06:18 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

The other day I was saying how my horse is my best friend I had ever had. But others thought different they told me that there's no way that an animal could ever be are so called 'best friends" since they really don't understand us. To tell you the truth I think my 4 cats, 5 dogs, and six horses understand me plenty. I had just moved recently and I think that they really kept me together.

This my sound wierd but I watch animal planet and I've seen plenty of good relationships between humans and animals.

--------------------
My homeland is the grasslands home of the Karaya tribe just one of the six clans.
The with the Zexens is still on after loosing my best friend I was forced to go to the duck clan village. There I met Lilly and her crew. I promised to take them the Lizard Clan' Great Hallow (where my family was hiding). After we get there there seemed to be a fighting going on between the rest of my clan (Karayan), the lizard clan and the iron heads. After the battle settled I have to go to the Lake Castle. There is were we all get separeted. Going to another one of the clan's villages I met the women that killed my best friend, Lulu, Lady Chris fighting for our clans.
Favorite saying: "Married is a Bliss to women misfortune to men"
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Swanny 
Posted: 14-Feb-2005, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Now that is a question of the ages, one that has been debated over the mellenia, and will probably be debated until the end of time.

William Francis Butler was a 19th century arctic explorer who wrote "A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.? I can relate to that statement as I trust and like my dogs moreso than I trust or like most people.

I'll concede that animals probably don't understand us, but understanding is not a prerequisite of friendship. Heck, much of the time I really don't understand my wife, but I love her none-the-less, even in her most hen-headed moments. I know she feels the same as she has said so.

My dogs probably don't understand why we drive to the post office or to town, but they don't care. They are absolutely delighted to go for a ride and spend some time with me. They certainly don't understand why they are harnessed to pull a cart or sled but they don't care. They are happy to just get out on the trail and run.

Indeed loving someone or something you don't understand may be the ultimate expression of friendship.

Animals relate to us differently than do other humans, and sometimes more reliably than humans. Human affection is often conditional, others may be friendly only so long as our behavior and attitude meets their approval. Since animals don't understand our behavoir and attitudes in the first place, their loyalty seems to be unconditional. In some ways it's a sad state of affairs, in that a dog will "love' an abusive ownder as unconditionally as it would a loving owner.

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Moon Child 
Posted: 15-Feb-2005, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

I have to agree with you Hugo. My two cats are always very affectionate to me when I'm upset. They just seem to know when I'm down or something is bothering me since they don't leave me alone! happy.gif
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 15-Feb-2005, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Who says animals don't understand us? Pets, at any rate.

I know Buffy has an amazing understanding of English. I can talk to her without using tone of voice, gestures, or body language, and she knows exactly what I'm saying to her. I can say a thousand words, and when I say the right one, she lets me know she understands, by cocking her head and perking her ears. Like this.

user posted image

When she wants to tell me something, she stands in front of me to get my attention, or sits in my line of sight and stares at me. I ask her a series of questions, and when the right one is asked, she tells me. Be it, a drink, to pee, play, or just to be let outside to get some fresh air, she will ignore the others until I get it right. (so patient) If she wants on her couch, she sits facing the couch, or rests her chin on the cushion until I say, 'Up on the couch'.

Here's a list of things she understands to date.

The 'Wanna's
'go pee'
'go poo'
'go to the park'
'go outside'
'drink'
'go for a walk'
'treat'
'ice'

'want some nummies' (food)

The 'Git'cher's or 'Where's yer's
'Teddy'
'Rope'
'Ball'
'Boots on' (she still doesn't know what I'm saying there. It's what I say when we're going outside to do something fun)
'Bone'

'who's there' followed by 'Go see' (where she goes to the front picture window to see who's here)
'Who's home' (for when Ange gets home. The difference is, she barks at the first, and whines by the door for the second)

'gimme hug' (she'll put her head down and lean into me)
'gimme kiss' (obvious)

'go lay down'
'down'
'up'
'eat'

When she's in trouble
'In your bed' (she goes to her dog house)
'What's this' (when she gets into something she shouldn't, or destroys something)
'quiet'

Then there are the common Sit, Stay, Lay down, On your side, etc.

If she pretends to not hear me, or just won't do as she's told I ask 'what did I say', and she does it quite promtly.

No one can tell me my dog doesn't understand me. This doesn't even touch the way she can read my emotions and react accordingly. laugh.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
dundee 
Posted: 15-Feb-2005, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

just gotta say this.... i remember a plaque when i was a yoot(referece my cousin vinnie)... the plaque said:

a friend is not a fellow who is taken in by shame.
a friend is one who knows your faults and doesnt give a dam.

my dog dont give a dam unlike most of my "friends"..... thumbs_up.gif

so lift your glasses to your pets/friends beer_mug.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
dundee 
Posted: 15-Feb-2005, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

sorry that should be sham not shame.... see other wise it dont rhyme..... rolleyes.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Feb-2005, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hey there,

Here is a website that you can see how your breed did in the dog show. Kind of neat. I guess the site will be up for a year or so. Just click the breed you want to see.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2005/video/breed/

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Randy 
Posted: 16-Feb-2005, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

Realm: Rochester, NY

male

I cannot speak for other animals, but I have had dogs for my whole life. I know they have affection for the people around them. We just become part of his pack.

As far as what we say to our dogs, we use all the normal ones "outside", "walk" ect.
But for some reason the word "ROBOT" make him go crazy. Me and my roommate have no idea why. Even if he hears the word robot in TV he will look up, but if we say it he run all over the place ))). It does not even sound like other things he understands. This weekend I am going to go out and get him one of the robosapiens
http://www.wowwee.com/robosapien/robo1/robomain.html.
I cannot wait to se what he does.
PMEmail Poster               
Hugo 
Posted: 17-Feb-2005, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

My horse when ever I'm upset or trying to hide I go and be with him. I'll let him in the areana and let him run around but when he sees I'm not chasing him he comes over and starts playing with my hair or stompping his foot. I must say I do fill better after riding him and giving him a hug or chasing me. But some how I think e knows and understands certain things
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 18-Feb-2005, 03:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

QUOTE (Swanny @ 14-Feb-2005, 11:50 AM)
Now that is a question of the ages, one that has been debated over the mellenia, and will probably be debated until the end of time.

William Francis Butler was a 19th century arctic explorer who wrote "A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.?  I can relate to that statement as I trust and like my dogs moreso than I trust or like most people.

I'll concede that animals probably don't understand us, but understanding is not a prerequisite of friendship.  Heck, much of the time I really don't understand my wife, but I love her none-the-less, even in her most hen-headed moments.  I know she feels the same as she has said so. 

My dogs probably don't understand why we drive to the post office or to town, but they don't care.  They are absolutely delighted to go for a ride and spend some time with me.  They certainly don't understand why they are harnessed to pull a cart or sled but they don't care.  They are happy to just get out on the trail and run.

Indeed loving someone or something you don't understand may be the ultimate expression of friendship.

Animals relate to us differently than do other humans, and sometimes more reliably than humans.  Human affection is often conditional, others may be friendly only so long as our behavior and attitude meets their approval.  Since animals don't understand our behavoir and attitudes in the first place, their loyalty seems to be unconditional.  In some ways it's a sad state of affairs, in that a dog will "love' an abusive ownder as unconditionally as it would a loving owner.

How very eloquent, Swanny. I don't believe I have ever heard it said better. I agree with you 100%!! smile.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 18-Feb-2005, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Brilliant Swanny!!!! smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Hugo 
Posted: 24-Feb-2005, 06:23 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

It's easy to see that animals can't speak our laungage but they understand out emotion and know something is wrong
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 09-Mar-2005, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Dancing Horse
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Massachusetts

female

I do think animals are our best friends. Most of all I love horses. After going to the barn after a bad day the horses make me feel alot better. Some of them do tricks and they are so smart. they stand up , sit down , smile , wave , nod their heads yes and no , bow , lay down , spanish walk (dressage) and they stand up on a stool and wave + smile at the same time. they are all so much fun and i love doing the tricks with them. They seem more human then horse. Sometimes I think they understand us more than people do. I'm looking forward to summer. We go out on the roads with dark cherokee AKA D.C and Keyote in carts and everyone points and smiles. We live in a town thats turning into a city its also the only horse stable in town. We actually cause traffic! The horses love going out for a drive and so don't we. Their is 9 horses in total Cherokee , Midnight , Classic Lady , Keyote , Sassy , Misty , Adromider, D.C , and one donkey named Poco.
sadly in november Isis had to be put down. Although she was young she could Bareley breathe. I miss her very much. Animals Are so much fun I don't think I could live without them!

--------------------
Vicky MacArthur
I Am a Scottish Dancer and I am proud of my heritage

Horses and dogs are not my whole life....But they make my life whole!
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 09-Mar-2005, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

In my beliefs everything living ( and that include somethings that most do not consider living, if it is organic it lives! ) has a spirit or soul , it is the continuem of the universal spark. We all exist in what has gone before and what will follow. Our animals are souls that have lived or will live and are at stages of "life" different then our own, but can be friends, confidants, and soul mates. I see life as a continuing challange for souls ( spirits ) and the goal is to reach the understanding and compassion to realize that everything is life and everything shuld be treated as if it were you! To answer in one word: YES!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
gwenlee 
Posted: 22-Mar-2005, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I think those of us who love animals are the most sensitive of people. I believe that our pets do understand us. They love us unconditionally and give us great comfort. They help comfort the sick and they are known to help speed up recovery of the sick. I have even known them to grieve when the human they love so much is gone from them or passes away.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt