Bookmark and Share
Agrona Borimar 
Posted: 10-Jan-2005, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

All right, I'm hoping you all can tell me how to go about fixing this one. I've looked in my Haynes manual and this isn't noted (that or I'm missing it, definitely a possibility).

Something has gone wrong with the wiper mechanism on the passenger side. Either the blade will function 3/4 of the way or less than 1/4 of the way when turned on. There was a morning freeze that did bond that wiper to the windshield but (stupid as this sounds) it was clear ice not frost so was unaware when I used the water/wipe function and only one blade moved freely. Now at 5:30 am the brain isn't at full capacity so I foolishly tried to use my defrost and an occasional pass of the blades to free it once the defrost had been running. Consequently, it hasn't worked right since.

Now if I manually move the blade, the next time I use the control it will work 3/4 of the way up but only for a little while.

Now it seems to me like something was "stretched out of place," as it were, so I assume something needs tightening and possibly replacing? Since I'm still learning how to repair my car I'm not sure where to look to fix this. Any sugestions will be helpful.
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 10-Jan-2005, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Typically there is a single motor that operates the wipers with connecting rods that move the wipers. Sounds like you may have bent the rods. Unfortunately, I think this might require removal of the dash board to bet to the rods.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Agrona Borimar 
Posted: 10-Jan-2005, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAlder

female

First of all, nice to meet you Steven.

Secondly, how definite is your "I think" on this one? I hope not rock solid because that has auto repair shop written all over it for me. I doubt this is one I could fix if that much is involved. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 10-Jan-2005, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

Pleasure meeting you!

It depends on the location of the firewall. That's piece of sheet steel between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment. Some of the imports have the motor in the engine compartment and domestics have everything in the passenger compartment. More than likely it's in the passenger compartment.

Unfortunately, I don't think that this repair can be done easily.
VetteGal 
Posted: 10-Jan-2005, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Des Plaines, Illinois

female

Agrona,
First thing I would need to know is what make and model car are we talking about here. Plus, how handy are you with tools? Most cars you would need to remove the wiper arms in order to get to the wiper linkages. By the sound of what yopu are describing I would say you probably need to replace some linkage bushings. Let me know how things go, and what the mechanic said is wrong.

--------------------
Blessed Be.

Merry meet, merry part, merry meet again.

Do as ye will, but harm ye none.

Nikki
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
stevenpd 
Posted: 10-Jan-2005, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

I'm not a mechanic. Just worked on few cars.
Agrona Borimar 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAlder

female

Meant to add this yesterday but time got away from me. It's a 97 Saturn SL (yes the basic SL).

VetteGal, I'd consider myself very handy with tools and am willing to fix this on my own with my husband, who has considerably more experience than I do.

I do also recognize that there are some things that are not practical to fix on your own but I hope this isn't one of them.
PMEmail Poster               
VetteGal 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Agrona,
First thing I would do is to pick up a shop manual from the dealer or even on eBay. This is the factory manual I am talking about, not Chiltons or Haynes. It should show you where the linkages are located as well as give you an idea as to what will need to be removed to get to it. If you have any questions please ask and I will try to help.
VetteGal 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Steven,
I didn't mean that you were wrong, I meant to say to make sure if the mechanic was wrong
Agrona Borimar 
Posted: 27-Jan-2005, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAlder

female

Well, guys, I'm going to have to worry about this a little later on. Got other things happening right now that are far more important.

VetteGal, once I can get my hands on the factory manual I'll drop a note here but with the way things look that could be a couple of months.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada. They provide music license coverage through SOCAN.
Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance Tavern, Celt-Rock-Radio, A Celtic Christmas, SaltyDog Radio, Best of Celtic Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics , Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With MicroSoft Edge, Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]