Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Daily Drivers, What kind of car do you drive daily?
Bookmark and Share
MDF3530 
  Posted: 11-May-2004, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (gtrplr @ May 11 2004, 03:07 PM)

Some people might disagree with you. I remember an old hot rod quote being:

The only substitute for cubic inches is more cubic inches.

Of course that was before turbocharging and nitrous.

Give me some good old-fashioned muscle cars like the Dodge Charger, Challenger and Pontiac GTO. Those beasts will beat the pants off of those little souped-up Civics, Celicas and Monteros any day of the week.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Watch yourself, man. They may be ugly, and they may hold very little apeal to anyone looking for a classy car, but don't say a Muscle car can beat a teched out compact any day. That's just asking to be shot down. How many guys do you know running 10 second lead sleds?

The reason ricers get such flak is thier attitudes, and the fact that they dismiss domestics without considering the pros. The same can be said about dismissing compacts. They'll surprise you. I've seen Civics send the big boys home wounded.

I'd still take the muscle car, but there's always somebody faster, and you can never tell by looking at the sheetmetal.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
VetteGal 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 10:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Des Plaines, Illinois

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ May 11 2004, 02:21 PM)
Vettegal, an interesting bit o' trivia for you. The Corvair was the worlds first passenger vehicle to be turbocharged, along with an Oldsmobile of the same year. '62. Those were the older Impala looking ones, as opposed to your baby Camaro. I've wanted a Corvair for years, ever since I almost bought a '64. The interior of those things are cool as hell. A mini-muscle car with a perfectly flat floor.

Oldraven, I believe the Olds was the F-85 Jetfire. The turbo setup on the corvair was much simpler and easier to maintain than that on the Olds. I think Olds only kept it in production for 2 years whereas the Corvair had it for 6 years. I believe it would have gone on longer had Chevy not planned on killing the Corvair in 1967. But, then Nader came along and Chevy actually kept it around until 1969 because they didn't want it to look like Nader had been what had killed it when it was actually the mustang that did the Corvair in. Plus in 1967 Chevy introduced the camaro which did better against the mustang than the corvair ever could. Most people think that Nader killed it but he actually added three years to the Corvair's life.

--------------------
Blessed Be.

Merry meet, merry part, merry meet again.

Do as ye will, but harm ye none.

Nikki
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Raven 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ May 11 2004, 04:47 PM)
Watch yourself, man. They may be ugly, and they may hold very little apeal to anyone looking for a classy car, but don't say a Muscle car can beat a teched out compact any day. That's just asking to be shot down. How many guys do you know running 10 second lead sleds?

The reason ricers get such flak is thier attitudes, and the fact that they dismiss domestics without considering the pros. The same can be said about dismissing compacts. They'll surprise you. I've seen Civics send the big boys home wounded.

I'd still take the muscle car, but there's always somebody faster, and you can never tell by looking at the sheetmetal.

Well I would say that it all come down to HP to weight ratio for sub 10 second times. All the fastest cars are large displacement fuelers when it comes to the quarter. (you should come to the capitol of drag racing sometime Oldie I'll put you up and we can go to the Nationals and look at some large displacement lead sleds biggrin.gif

Rice is nice when the shifter works 1 down and 4 up no doubt (heh heh)

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
3Ravens 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 12:01 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

A ford Aerostar XL with 303000+ miles. No, that's not a typo, I said 3 hundred and 3 thousand plus miles. Gotta be some kind of record, don't ya think? tongue.gif

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 04:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (3Ravens @ May 12 2004, 01:01 AM)
A ford Aerostar XL with 303000+ miles. No, that's not a typo, I said 3 hundred and 3 thousand plus miles. Gotta be some kind of record, don't ya think? tongue.gif

IMHO, a vehicle isn't well-broken in until it hits triple digits--303,000 is certainly credible.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Aragorn 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

There is something wrong with having a Ford Aerostar that long tongue.gif . My daily driver is a 2000 Olds Alero, at least until I can fix up my 71 Pontiac LeMans. It has a 350cid motor with a HP cam and lifters. Needs alot of work but when it is done I will be very happy. Looking to make it a street/strip car with ETs is the low 10 to high 9 sec range. Boy that will take alot of work. The power to weight ratio is going to be my biggest obstacle. Yes, it will be street legal, we do not have much for restrictions where I live. biggrin.gif

BTW: ricers sound like suped up motorcycles so you can keep those. I love to hear the deep rumble of the motor and the way the whole body shakes when it is idleing.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

BTW: ricers sound like suped up motorcycles so you can keep those. I love to hear the deep rumble of the motor and the way the whole body shakes when it is idleing.

I'm with you. I remember a 426 Hemi Charger a friend of mine had. You could feel the rumble in your chest.

Next Topic:

Did anyone else see "Overhauling" on Discovery last night? They took a '69 Camaro owned by Ian Zirling (of 90210 fame) that was in _pieces_ and turned it into a work of art. In a week! 402 Chevy smallblock, 3500 watt sound system and the most gorgeous flame paint job you've ever seen. Chip Foose is a design genius and a guy whose name I don't recall from House of Color did the flames. Awesome.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

oldraven 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Hey man. I'd jump all over this, if you gave the topic its own thread. wink.gif
gtrplr 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

Started new "Overhaulin'" thread. Check the virtual garage.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 12-May-2004, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (Aragorn @ May 12 2004, 09:04 AM)

Correction: the little rice eaters sound like their crotch rocket cousins when idling. The muscle cars have that heavy, Harley-like sound.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I think what he means is back in the day, Ricers, or rice burners, was a name given to Aisian motorbikes (Honda, Yammy, Kawi) by Harley boys. It's only now, after the invention of the Fart Can, or Coffe Can exhaust for little fourbangers that the name is being transfered over to FWD compacts that think they're sports cars.

Heavy emphasis on 'think'. wink.gif
RavenWing 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas @ May 10 2004, 08:14 PM)
1996 Oldsmobile Ciera station wagon with 122,000 miles on it, with deceptive performance resulting from a V-6 with ample torque. It's amazing how you can sort of slip under the radar with such ordinary vehicles (and a bit of alertness).

How well I know! I have a 92 Olds Cutlass Ciera with 112,000 miles on it, and it has plenty of get-up-and-go.

Unfortunately, it is acting up right now.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I have a white 2004 F150 XLT HERITAGE Extended Cab. It is my work truck, and everyday driver. Mrs. Peckery drives a 2003 Honda Element. We are down to two cars having recently sold the Mercedes and Porsche. Must say that the insurance is less.
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 05:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (peckery @ May 14 2004, 05:33 PM)
Must say that the insurance is less.

Be glad you don't have a 21-year-old male driver on your policy--when my oldest son started driving, my insurance more than doubled.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada. They provide music license coverage through SOCAN.
Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance Tavern, Celt-Rock-Radio, A Celtic Christmas, SaltyDog Radio, Best of Celtic Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With MicroSoft Edge, Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]