Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Daily Drivers, What kind of car do you drive daily?
Bookmark and Share
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Aspen Green, 4wd (use it to launch my Bass Boat into places it shouldn't be launched).

Bought it at Sam Galloway Ford in Fort Myers, Fl on the Ford X-plan (the Company I worked for at the time used lots of Ford Vehicles and was a supplier to Ford Corporate). Would have rather bought a Dodge Durango.

No Problems yet.

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I drive a 2003 Chevy Tracker, and my wife has a 2000 Kia Sephia.

--------------------
Sln agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tr mo chridhe. 'S i Gidhlig cnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
talleyrand 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

Ya Mule (II) is a 1993 GMC Sonoma (Ya Mule I was an '89 Ranger that was still running when we sold it at 225k miles) with a paltry 112k miles. I try to put as many miles as possible on that one but I also bought a 2002 Impala when my son was born because the truck's only got the jumper seats and I wanted the baby seat in the back. It's the first car I ever felt comfortable sitting in (I'm 6'2") and it's been great when we go out to my father-in-law's out in WY, plenty of room, smooth ride and lots of giddyup and go for those wonderful stretches of I-80.

My wife's got an Olds Intrigue (my Dad's a retired GM employee in case you can't tell). It's fine but I don't care for it as much. Just doesn't seem as good the Impala. That and it takes some odd oil filter that's never included in the quoted oil change price.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Raven 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

This is my primary form of transportation (daily that is) I drive it to and from work, plus I make the odd store delivery with it as my customers demand. I also use it to haul PA gear to smaller jobs. It is a 1999 Ford Ranger and currently it has 110,000 miles on it. The Shell is a 2004 K-Swiss.

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
Raven 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 08:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

My wife drives this wonderful 1998 GMC Safari Van and it is also the primary mode of transportation for our band. It has a complete tow package and we use a load leveling system in addition as the trailor (a 2002 Cargo Mate) that it is hooked to in this picture can get quite heavy with all of our gear aboard.

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
gtrplr 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

I drive a 2003 Chevy Tracker, and my wife has a 2000 Kia Sephia.

Hey, wizardofowls, how does your wife like the Kia? My wife likes the styling and we're thinking about buying one. Any problems mechanically? I can live with a few minor annoyances.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Ok.

male

Hey Gtrplr,

I have an ex-sister-in-law, she's bee driving a Kia for about 3 years now, one of thoses Sportster things. She had to replace a Air Flow Meter when she first bought it, but has had no trouble to speak of since. It seems to be a desent vehicle and have not heard to much talk about them form other car shops either, which in a way is a good signs.

--------------------
Careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

House of Gordon

PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Why it took me this long to find this forum, I don't know. Must have had my radar switched off. Alright, you asked for it. wink.gif

My daily driver is an '87 Thunderbird Turbocoupe. It's got the 2.3 intercooled Turbo mated to the Tremec T5-spd with a hydraulic clutch. It spins a Borg Warner IHI turbo through 2.5" duals (yes, it's a Y-pipe) that pushes 15-18psi, at certain rpm's. Was 190hp and 240ft/lbs stock, but I'm not sure where it is now with the upgraded exhaust and a lowly K&N drop in. Probably no more than 205. I just put a set of 245-50-R16 Toyo Proxes FZ-4s on it and it rides on rails. It has PRC (Programmed Ride Control) and was the first Domestic to feature it. At the flick of a switch it changes from bouncy-cushy-grandaddy mode to flat and hard. On the auto setting it also switches to firm when you are at Wide open trottle, hard braking, or if you reach 0.3g's of latteral accelleration. I haven't lost a race yet, but Ange did just the other day, because she took on a brand new 4.6V8 'stang, and forgot about boost lag. sad.gif

Oh yeah, it's got an 8.8" 3:55 posi rear, 16" aluminum rims, the mustang 4w disk and rear quadshocks. All of this was stock. These were sleepers, to say the least.

Here she be.
user posted image

I painted it in my garage last spring. smile.gif

That's my daily driver. If you're not totally sick of me, I'll show you my winter beater.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
Raven 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

I'll trade you engines Oldie even up. I could use some beef. How's come your picture is displayed in your post and mine are not????

Caw
oldraven 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

You submitted yours as an attachment. My picture was already on another site, so I just coppied the file location and hit the -Img- button above the message box. You can post as many images in a thread as you want that way, provided the site you have your image stored at allows it. Cardomain does, but they put their logo on every image posted on other sites.

The nice thing about this motor is, even though it has a higher output than the 302 V8 model of the same year, it's less than half the displacement (2.3L vs. 5.0L). There is a switch on the dash for regular or premium fuel as well. When you have premium fuel (91 octane or higher) you can turn up the boost to 18psi, advance the timing, and also pump up the fuel pressure without worrying about detonation (pinging). So I keep it on regular durring the week, and use hardly any fuel, then when I get beside someone at a light who I can bait, I just flick the switch and have maximum hp and torque and waste as much fuel as I want. laugh.gif It's pretty much the same motor as you find in fourbanger mustangs and rangers, it was just built for boosted aplications at the factory.

There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called boosting. tongue.gif

Vettegal, an interesting bit o' trivia for you. The Corvair was the worlds first passenger vehicle to be turbocharged, along with an Oldsmobile of the same year. '62. Those were the older Impala looking ones, as opposed to your baby Camaro. I've wanted a Corvair for years, ever since I almost bought a '64. The interior of those things are cool as hell. A mini-muscle car with a perfectly flat floor.
gtrplr 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called boosting.

Some people might disagree with you. I remember an old hot rod quote being:

The only substitute for cubic inches is more cubic inches.

Of course that was before turbocharging and nitrous.
oldraven 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Exactly. Truth be told, turbocharging and supercharging is adding displacement. It's just not adding bore and stroke or number of cylinders. An engine under boost is actually displacing more air than the cylinder bore physicaly has room for. So, I guess, your quote is right, in its own way. But those boys meant size, not technology.

As for nitrous, yeah. It's a nifty little cheat.
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (gtrplr @ May 11 2004, 03:07 PM)

Some people might disagree with you. I remember an old hot rod quote being:

The only substitute for cubic inches is more cubic inches.

Agreed. When I was on Okinawa in the late 60's I had a Honda 600 (as in cc) sports car, with chain drive. It was a blast to drive, as long as I kept the rev's real high. On my return to the States, I got a '69 Camaro, with 327 CID engine, high-speed suspension, etc. The Camaro would go like a rocket in just about any gear--demonstrating to me at least that there is no substitute for the torque available only from a good amount of cubic inches.
I was cruising across west Texas goat-roper country with the Camaro one day at about 95 mph when I encountered a state trooper coming the other direction. By the time he could stop, turn around and get back up behind me, I was well below the speed limit. He stopped me anyway. After discussing the merits of the 327 relative to Hemi's, he advised me to let up a bit on the throttle and sent me on my way.

--------------------
Sochn leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

I like Hemi's, more valves per cylinder, plus super/turbo charging it all adds up to more ponys.

Back in the day when I was still a trucker (I will post some pics in the near) I drove tractor trailer that had large displacement 6 bangers of course turbo with 550hp and close to 2000 fps of torque. Can you say yeah baby. If memory serves me correctly on a good cold day I could pull 20 lbs of boost.
oldraven 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

There's nothing like a turbo for torque. Even the pidlyest engines can have tire melting torque when boosted. They may only last ten minutes but they'll be real fun while it lasts. biggrin.gif

Who here has ever driven a Sprint Turbo? You're better off. It scared the hell out of me. Shot like a rocket, but you're still in a Sprint. The crumple zone is where the engine meets your knees.

Hemi's are alright. They were good engines, but these new Hemi's aren't all that crazy. Most people don't know that a lot of companies have made Hemi's over the years. My brother had an '84 Corolla with a 1.8L Hemi. (or was that 1.9?) Still, It's just a head with bigger combustion chambers. The good thing about them was the fact that they made room for the extra valves, which was really where most of the added power came from.

I'm not knocking Hemi's. They were beasts, and on the top o' the heap in their day. But Hemi heads and multi-valve technology are quite common these days. Chrysler is just banking on the name now. Good on them though. At least they're brave enough to produce a rear-drive mid size V8 sedan and wagon. Who else is doing that?

Ok. I'm making a new thread.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada. They provide music license coverage through SOCAN.
Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance Tavern, Celt-Rock-Radio, A Celtic Christmas, SaltyDog Radio, Best of Celtic Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics , Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With MicroSoft Edge, Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]