> What Is "web Hosting", Silly question regarding web hosting
banacharaid 
Posted: 22-Jul-2009, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

female

I know this is probably very naive... but what exactly is web hosting? I noticed it's a feature that Celtic Radio is offering, and I wonder what it is exactly? And what people do with it. Sorry for the naivety, but I am, indeed, interested. Thanks so much. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 22-Jul-2009, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

One requirement for a website is a computer to store and provide it. In order for the site to be transparently avaliable on a 24x7 basis that machine has to be operational and online 24x7. That machine is the host for the website. Providing a service (in the case in question a web service), to any clients that may request a page on that server.

Most people do not have the resources to maintain such a system for their website. As a result, many of those who do have the resources to maintain a presence will offer space on their servers for others to put their own site online without having to worry about persistent connections, backups, and maintaining their own server.

Web hosting, is providing the online drive space, and bandwidth for someone to put a web page, or a complete web site online.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]