Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 06:02 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- Nudists, grab your yoga mats and head for San Francisco.

City prosecutors Wednesday said it was not illegal to perform naked yoga in the city -- even at the crowded tourist destination of Fisherman's Wharf.

Prosecutors dropped charges against a limber nudist, known locally as the "Naked Yoga Guy," who made a habit of striking yoga poses in the buff in order to promote a book and his lifestyle.

The Naked Yoga Guy, whose name is George Monty Davis, had stripped to stretch nearby Fisherman's Wharf, prompting a public complaint. But prosecutors decided they had a weak public nuisance case against him because local laws do not bar public nudity.

"Simply being naked on the street is not a crime in San Francisco," said Debbie Mesloh, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office.

"To bring a case, a person would have to exhibit lewd behavior, block traffic or impede pedestrians on a sidewalk, something along those lines."

In another case involving a Los Angeles teenager who dropped his pants to expose his bottom, or "moon," passing motorists from a nearby sidewalk, a California appellate court ruled nudity itself is not a crime, Mesloh said.

Davis could not immediately be reached for comment.

Is Annabelle next? tongue.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 04:11 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

I saw this on the news and it is pretty wild, eh? well I have done yoga for years, but you bet your bare bottoms I won't be going to San Francisco to show mine..........neither do I want to see anybody else's bare bums for that matter! LOL Hope this doesn't start a trend throughout the country..........oh my! rolleyes.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 12:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

My vote - insanity, on both counts
1. Yoga (I used to teach it) it is spiritually dangerous
2. Nudity - indescrete, immodest and based on false philosophy

Hows' that for my first post here? I only came in for a wee dram smile.gif

--------------------
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 12:46 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I did yoga for years as it used to help my back pain greatly. Now I am doing Pilates instead. I always used the yoga tapes that never got into the spirituality of it all. However, you won't mind me saying "Namaste" once and awhile to a yogi or to someone from India.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 05:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I never have gotten into Yoga deeply. I started to try to practive it just before moving, but got interrupted and haven't found anywhere to try again. I see no problem with other religons, and as such I don't see any harm with it. At least not from what I've seen of it, which isn't much.

What I did try of it I found relaxing, and I'd like to get back to it in hopes of improving my (extremely poor) balance, and whatever other positive physical effects it might have. As for the spiritual aspect of it, I'm aware it undeniably has spiritual effects. I don't imagine them as negative effects, And I imagine it all applying much broader than just to Indian religon.

Again though, If I get into Yoga, it'll be more for the relaxation and for the physical effects.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ 24-Sep-2004, 05:50 AM)
I never have gotten into Yoga deeply. I started to try to practive it just before moving, but got interrupted and haven't found anywhere to try again. I see no problem with other religons, and as such I don't see any harm with it. At least not from what I've seen of it, which isn't much.

What I did try of it I found relaxing, and I'd like to get back to it in hopes of improving my (extremely poor) balance, and whatever other positive physical effects it might have. As for the spiritual aspect of it, I'm aware it undeniably has spiritual effects. I don't imagine them as negative effects, And I imagine it all applying much broader than just to Indian religon.

Again though, If I get into Yoga, it'll be more for the relaxation and for the physical effects.

So, you are planing to head for San Francisco soon? tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

hello 'rose 'me darlin' rolleyes.gif

namaste is fine, namaskar is not, it means "I greet the god within you" obviously not kosher for a Christian.

hatha yoga is good for the body but it's hard to seperate it from the religious side, better to do other stretching exercises IMO, like the Pilates as you say.
maisky 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 24-Sep-2004, 07:07 AM)
hello 'rose 'me darlin' rolleyes.gif

namaste is fine, namaskar is not, it means "I greet the god within you" obviously not kosher for a Christian.

I have never met a "kosher" christian. Is there such a beast? unsure.gif

Would that be one that is cooked in a kosher kitchen? tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,495 Gold!

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 24-Sep-2004, 02:04 AM)

Graham, for a substantial subset of the population, just living in San Francisco is a religion in and of itself. IMHO, most of that group is wacko.gif But then, most of them think I'm just an ignorant country boy. tongue.gif

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
maisky 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (TheCarolinaScotsman @ 24-Sep-2004, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 24-Sep-2004, 02:04 AM)

Graham, for a substantial subset of the population, just living in San Francisco is a religion in and of itself. IMHO, most of that group is wacko.gif But then, most of them think I'm just an ignorant country boy. tongue.gif

You may be an ignorant country boy, but you are a really COOL ignorant country boy, and I consider you a friend. biggrin.gif

Besides, I am a country boy, too.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Graham, I have never heard of namaskar! wow! Learn something every day! Actually I was taught that namaste meant, the spirit in me greets the spirit in you. What does Namaste mean then? I talk to a gal from India all the time and she always greets me with namaste and I do her. I never asked her what it meant.

And yes, I am doing Pilates instead now!
Dreamer1 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

You know, my husband and I really loved visiting San Francisco! We'd love to go back again someday, too, but I think we'll definitely skip this particular "attraction", thank you. There are so many wonderful things there, why did this guy have to go and be obnoxious? disgust.gif I say "Lock him up, Danno!"

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 25-Sep-2004, 06:00 AM)
Graham, I have never heard of namaskar! wow! Learn something every day! Actually I was taught that namaste meant, the spirit in me greets the spirit in you. What does Namaste mean then? I talk to a gal from India all the time and she always greets me with namaste and I do her. I never asked her what it meant.

And yes, I am doing Pilates instead now!

In Australia it is translated "G'day" biggrin.gif I understand it to be a respectful greeting without any Hindu connotations.

I am accustomed to placing the hands together in "prayer" position whilst greeting my Indian friends.

Personally, I find it a lovely custom and one the Christians in India have no problem with.

A side note, when last in India I took upon the task of going around out local village of Ammambukam in Tamil Nadu and inviting the locals to "come to church" in the Tamil language.

Not many came, so I assume I got the saying wrong. I was probably inviting them to a BBQ, you never know with the dialect laugh.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I grew up in southerin California, but never made it up to San Francisco! Would always love to go there though.

Tassiecelt that is very impressive that you could speak in the Tamil language. Pretty funny what you said about getting the dialect right though! biggrin.gif
maisky 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

SF is a really neat place to visit. I wouldn't want to live there for a simple reason: It has traffic comparable to NY City. rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]