Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Euro's Vs Americans?, Things I don't understand
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

=) thank you Rose. I can understand what you mean. But maybe you get the whole genealogy research thing a bit wrong and I'm sorry if I came across like that =/ I don't think we find it silly. But we find the effort and time that is being spent on doing that rather strange because whoever your ancestors were they may be a part of you but knowing or not knowing will probably not change much in general terms.
Knowing your ancestors is a nice thing but in my own eyes Americans/Australians/Canadians etc sometimes put a bit too much effort into it =/

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

My grand parents both came to the US from Scotland in 1922. My mother was born a year later. Our Scottish heritage has always been very important to us. I even play in a pipe band (I'm a drummer).

AD, I can understand why you would think that residents of former British colonies put too much effort into tracing our roots. But how much effort is too much?

Having an understanding our heritage allows us to celebrate it. You would be amazed how many highland games' you would find in the US and Canada, from coast to coast. They are always well attended. And it's not just those of us with Scottish ancestry that get together in this manner. In Detroit, there is an enormous population of Mexicans. There is even a section of the city known as Mexican town, filled with restaurants and shops. Every year, there is a Cinco de Mayo festival, celebrating Mexican independence from the Spanish (or is it the French? There are 2 indepence celebrations, but I get them confused).

People of all ethnicities like to celebrate their heritage. I think that, at least in America, that our ancestry is part of our personal identity. Yes, I think of myself as an American first, but I also look at myself as being Scottish, Irish, English, Danish, French, Spanish and German because I have ancestors from each of those countries.

I think (and this is just a theory) that because we had such a rapid influx of ppl in our relatively short history, that when folks got together, they were interested in where their neighbors and friends might have come from. I can see it clearly: Two men, sitting at a bar about 100 years ago and they start a conversation. They each notice that the other has a strange accent and they ask each other where they came from. They talk about their home land and ask questions about the others'. Because of this, our heritage became part of our identity, not just to ourselves, but in the eyes of others. That became part of our culture.

Another part of that is that ppl from other lands would tend to stick together, so it was natural for them to act as if they never left "the old country". That's probably why there are so many highland games. Scottish folks had them in Scotland, so they wanted to have them here, too. It was just a continuation of their lives, doing the things they would normally do. So, down the road, their decendents became interested in the "why" of these things.

I hope this all makes sense.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Aon, I took no offense to anything you said. I was just sharing my perceptions of what it is like to be American. wink.gif smile.gif I don't expect that my genealogy research is going to change anything in me personally, but to research the history is fun and the knowledge of my ancestors and what their lives were like makes it all the more fascinating. For most of us, that is the closest we Americans will ever get to going to Europe. I know all my life I have been asked what nationality I am. While it is a given fact that we are Americans, we all are fascinated by each other's ancestry too,especially if we have stories to tell about our ancestors. That includes American history in us as well. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Todd, I liked all what you had to say! I couldn't have said it any better. I think just about every nationality here in America celebrates their ethnicity in some regard. I have been to many festivities of Italian, Greek, German Octoberfest, Cinco de Mayo for the Mexican community, Native American, Highland games and don't forget St. Patrick's Day for those of Irish ancestry. We even have the Renaissance festivals for Merry ole England! Hey! I have even been to cowboy camps to learn what life was like living in the wild west! It is a visual on-hands way of learning a wee bit about each other, not to mention the food and fellowship! thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elly 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

Quite honestly, I don`t see what the problem is with folk tracing their ancestry at all, I don`t think at all it is just Canadians/Americans/Australians who have that interest in their roots. sad.gif I would imagine anyone who has an interest in history, it would be only natural to want to find out more about their own kin as well as what the royal lines etc or what the historians tell them. wink.gif I would imagine it would be a very interesting endeavour, but wouldn`t think it would make one bit of difference to their present day lives, nor would they expect it to biggrin.gif

As a scot living in Australia the past few years, I could sit and read books about this country`s history but wouldn`t dream of telling aussies of scots descendants, that they shouldn`t waste their time doing their research into their kin, it obviously gives folk from all over the world, great enjoyment and opens up a few doors for them, and gives them a better understanding of what makes them who they are today. Of course of you go down the road of actually paying one of these geneology research companies, of course they are conmen in that part of our world too, who would gladly take your money to say you are a descendant of Bruce or whoever, but folk that actually take the time and years to trace their roots, I think have a bit more intelligence than that. biggrin.gif It`s like here in Australia, you hear so many folk that`s kin came over in the `first fleet` well maybe they did, who knows, and who am I to say that is nonsense, and then there is the ones of course who say that is nothing to be proud of, thiefs came in that fleet, but I`m sure there were plenty of other convicts besides thieves, eg: political etc.

As for Culloden, well who knows there too, and quite honestly, in hindsight of course, whose side would I have rather been on, `Bonnie Prince Charlie` who did nothing but bring devastation to my country, or `Duke of Cumberland` the butcher, well I do not know, maybe like most of the folk,who managed to retain their lands after 1746, as a canny scot I might have put some on both sides, if I`m honest. cool.gif The ones who managed to get away to the `new world` after losing everything, I hope they prospered. laugh.gif

So happy researching in your family trees, it`s great that you care enough about the past and the future to do it. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 10:04 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

I just don't like seeing people disappointed that their family's history is not like "braveheart" or "rob roy" =/
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Feb 13 2004, 11:04 AM)
I just don't like seeing people disappointed that their family's history is not like "braveheart" or "rob roy" =/

Aon, I think if anyone has illusion about that, they have a great deal of illusions about other things as well. I think every family has its share of highly accomplished people and its share of losers, at least sometime in its history.
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

I know but there is so much crap (sorry) around in that business and people seem to be falling into it soo easily. I mean they sell you a clanbadge but the history of that particular clan doesn't have anything to do with your history except that you have their name... it annoys me.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Aon! I truly hear your concern. To be honest with you, I have never looked for anybody rich and famous in my family search! I just wanted to know my family history. And I have both accomplished and losers in my family laugh.gif But I understand what you are saying about the clan badge and all that. I fell for it once myself. Even affliated myself with a couple of clans because I was told my grandmothers had the same surnames that were in clans. Now I look back at that and think I accepted something that wasn't true for my family history. Now that has indeed been embarrassing! But it has all been a learning experience for me. Since I have been researching my heritage, and with the help of others, I have discovered there are a lot of phonies out there trying to sell you something that isn't true and you have to be careful. But I think people who are truly researching the truth eventually find this out anyway.

Anyway, I know everybody is entitled to their opinion, but what I have difficulty with is people telling me that my hobby is a waste of time. I certainly do not see it that way. And ---- I have discovered that it is not only us Americans, Canadians, NZ, and Australians doing our family history. I have three German friends who have been working on theirs. I found out yesterday another German friend and an English friend of mine are working on theirs as well and wanted advice from ME! When I questioned them about this, they told me they knew a lot of Europeans who were working on their ancestry! That was a shock to me! ohmy.gif
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

no no no... it's not a waste of time! goodness, I never meant that! *protests vehemently*

no, but I don't really think that my family's history changes the way I am. And sometimes it seems like people are looking for their ancestors as if it was the holy grail...

It took my BF a long time to find out what he is affiliated to and there were alot of ppl trying to sell a certain thing to him...
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Feb 11 2004, 01:15 PM)
Americans/Australians/Canadians etc sometimes put a bit too much effort into it =/

No no no! Aon! I never said YOU said it was a waste of time. However, I will say that you mentioned that we all put too much effort into it and I disagree with that. In anything a person loves doing, whatever hobby that may be for them, takes a great deal of effort. I do artwork. I put a lot of effort into it. I put a lot of research into my Native American subjects so I can paint the people authentically. I put a lot of hours and hard work into my pieces. Now I am no where getting rich and famous from it all, but does that mean I am putting too much effort into all the work and research I put into my hobby just because I am not making a living from it? NO!

I agree with you that there are people looking to see if there is some kind of royalty or something special in their family. I, personally, just want to know who and what my ancestors were like and where they were from. I certainly by NO means expect it to change me from anything from who I am today or will be in my crabby ole age! biggrin.gif

I hope you understand where I am coming from. wink.gif smile.gif
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

I do.. and I see that I probably used the wrong word... again! *kicks herself in the shins*
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

No reason to kick yourself in the shins! I have a hard time expressing myself and wanted to make sure how I was coming across and why I do what I do. smile.gif

Anyway, I have enjoyed our little conversation. It helps us understand each other better, eh? wink.gif biggrin.gif

What else shall we discuss? biggrin.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]