Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Language Learning Strategies, What works for you?
stoirmeil 
Posted: 07-Nov-2004, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I'm in the beginning stages of learning gaidhlig. The first thing I found out is that it is NOT Irish. (duh) I have some friends who know Irish, and we compared a few simple greetings . . . not. biggrin.gif

I guess I am a sucker for endangered languages, since I've done this before. About 20 years ago I set out to learn Yiddish, and after some time became quite fluent and then taught it for years. But gaidligh was deeper in my heart even then, and I wish I had not waited so long.

Flash cards are nice, for vocabulary, but not as much help for grammar. Another thing that works very well if you are taking a class is to over-learn by taking your book exercises and substituting other vocabulary into them, so you work with the grammar forms as much as possible without getting bored.

You can also take a well-known book (the bible works -- or the Little Prince, or even Harry Potter) that's been translated into the language you are learning, and track it from English to the other language in little chunks. Children's songs and simpler folk songs are very good for this too. And you take note of the structures as much as the vocabulary.

I guess the best thing is to do a bit every day, and trust your brain to get it in its own good time, cos it will. biggrin.gif And have somebody to talk to, or read with.

Ah -- Runrig is on with The Summer Walkers. Excuse me while I bellow. "And the long winding shores of Loch Maree. . . "
PMEmail Poster               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 08-Nov-2004, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

QUOTE (Annham @ 06-Nov-2004, 05:54 PM)
(Dragonboy)
She's an Egyptologist/Anthropologist for mummies and the like. I forget the scientific name..it's too long to think of right now!

*Sigh*, Wow, that's my dream job smile.gif
Really, I'd love to be an archaeologist, anywhere in the world... I can't stand hot weather, but give me little patch of history and I could get out there and dig all day no matter what the temps. wink.gif

Anne

Hehe...I could give you my sisters AIM address or email address if you would like!

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
Meryat 
Posted: 09-Nov-2004, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Somewhere near a computer

My AIM name is on my profile page; I'd love to hear from some of you. This is the first discussion I've participated in that's not over in the news section, and I'm so excited to be part of such a friendly community.

~Meryat
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 27-Jan-2005, 09:49 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I recommend speaking some of the language you are learning EVERY DAY! Even if it is just to your dog, or to yourself, speak it out loud. Also I try to do at least 30 minutes of work everyday, whether its in my lesson books, translating verses from the Gàidhlig Bible, reading in my Gaelic phrase book, etc. Also try to listen to some of your language everyday! This is easy for us, since we enjoy Celtic music! For those learning Scottish Gaelic, I recommend listening to Capercaillie, Distant Oaks or Mary Jane Lamond. I also understand that Runrig has some songs in Scottish Gaelic, but I don't have any of their albums.

Some good books I would like to recommend:
How to Learn a Foreign Language by Graham E. Fuller
How to Learn Any Language by Barry Farber
Help your Child With a Foreign Language by Opal Dunn (though written to help children, these techniques are easily adapted to help an adult)

These three books are crammed full of ideas to help you learn!

This post has been edited by WizardofOwls on 27-Jan-2005, 09:53 PM

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 12-Mar-2005, 09:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

I have to really admire you as well for actually getting started. I fell like a bard sometimes, I want to learn everything but never get good at anything. Other wise my boyfriend is taking Latin in college and has become quite fond of it. If you can afford the classes maybe you can take them at your college and Audit (no credit) them.

--------------------
*~Extinction is Forever~*

"For Those Who Can't Speak, We Must" -Tiger Creek
http://www.tigercreek.org/

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

*Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat.
It’s not easy to put trews on a cat.* CR

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Ríobhca31 
Posted: 14-Mar-2005, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Princess of Báisteach
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Wisconsin (Transplant, From Texas)

female

I've been slowly learing the Irish Celtic Language, It's not easy by any means, but it sure is fun. laugh.gif

--------------------
Go mbeannaí Dia duit !
PMEmail Poster                
gwenynen 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (Meryat @ 07-Nov-2004, 01:55 PM)
I like thinking that by learning ancient languages, I'm helping keep them alive so that their knowledge isn't lost in future generations.

Hi Meryat, I usually stay in the Welsh threads but couldn't resist writing to you. I cordially invite you to start learning Welsh which is an ancient language and in need of support from as many people as possible for its survival. With your aptitude for hard languages, I'm sure you'll make fast progress.

I think Japanese could be classified together with Ancient Egiptian and Greek. It's so different from other languages and difficult. One difference must be it's a live language, quite official in Japan. If you need a partner to practice it, I'm at your service.

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
gwenynen 
Posted: 20-May-2005, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Wizard, thanks for recommending those books. I read one of them, "How to Learn Any Language" by Barry Farber.

It has lots of practical advice, though serious learners may already be doing some of the workouts. It's helped me to be more deligient in using any spare mement to learn Welsh (I now have my flash cards by the computer and use them while I wait for a website to be loaded.) I ought to make more conscious efforts to think in Welsh and speak aloud.

It tells you how to memorize new words by making a picture about them in your head. I heard it before and was rather sceptical. But when he said it doesn't work for some words which ought to be learned in the conventional way, it seemed more believable. Actually it works. I was surprised to find myself remembering the Spanish word for 'old' when I didn't even tried to, and I haven't studied any Spanish before. I tried on a Welsh word and it worked.

There are some things he says I don't agree with. And his list of world's principal languages doesn't include Welsh! (though he lists extremely minor languages.) The book was written before the age of internet. But overall, it's very helpful and entertaining too.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]