Annabelle 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Has anyone ever taken the train from London to Edinburgh? I am trying to find the price but can't seem to locate schedules or prices...Help! I need info for trip in March. I will be forever in your debt!
The hoochie Mama,
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Lady A, check this page out:

http://www.raileurope.com/cgi-bin/fscgi.pl...x=30&submit.y=5

Might be cheaper to fly and quicker. Give that some thought.
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 08:15 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Annabelle,

We did it, but that was over 11 years ago. It's a gorgeous trip to make! I'm pretty sure all the info was listed with BritRail, but I imagine that you could give them a call and just explain what you want to do. Someone there should be able to give you prices, and suggest best times to travel for the cheapest fares. There's probably even a package deal of some sort.

Good luck! I'm envious!!

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 08:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

A Shrule, I thought it would not be as expensive as it is. Wow. I had hoped to go to London to spend a couple of days. I'm going to have to see how it would be to fly or just stay up in the highlands and not do London.
Thanks for the help!
A
PMEmail Poster               
Elly 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

Hmm, yep always found it cheaper to fly myself unless there is a specific reason for going by train. I just found out recently, like the past day or so that Ryan-air are the most economical airline between England and Scotland so maybe check them out at www.ryanair.com.

Have a great trip anyway, Elly biggrin.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Looks like you can do a round trip starting at $144 and up, depending on the hour and day. I was just on Travelocity and was just throwing in dates for March.

That's a lot cheaper than the $162 one way.
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Five bananas, last time I checked. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

I leave Atlanta Mar 24th and arrive LHR Mar 25. Was going to stay til morning of 27th then head to Inverness for 7 days. Then take Train back to LHR around April 4 or 5th which ever fare days were cheaper.
A Shrule, you are better at this than I am. I've found AA has a flight into LHR for $569 but that is still higher than normal.
2 years ago I went over round trip flew from Atlanta to Edinburgh for $399.00
Then I picked up a car there and left from there on the return trip.
A
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Be back to you in few minutes. I'm working on it.
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Has anyone ever gone on PriceLine.com and put in a price you are willing to pay for an airline ticket and gotten it?
A
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

The airlines also say their discounted tickets are already discounted when I ask them to figure a military discount into it they say that is the lowest they have.
A
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 04:13 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

British Rail is no longer a company in the UK - the regions have been split up and trains are run by individual companies depending on routes. Virgin trains and GNER go from Kings Cross (and from the very part of the station where Harry Potter's Hogwart Express departs!) to Edinburgh Waverley.

Try looking at www.thetrainline.com. There are discounted tickets if you book in advance - but I'm not sure of the requirements - it may be a month in advance..

The journey takes about 5 - 5.50 hours.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Take a look at a multi day pass since you'll be making several trips. My wife and I have been doing this the last few years and it's well worth it cause you get a pass that is cheaper and can be used well past it's worth. Like last year in Japan we start out in Nagoya which is normal. Arrived Tokyo and imediately took train to Nagoya our destination couldn't get a flight in for some reason. Then mid trip we went way down South near Nagasaki which is almost as far South as you can go in Mainland Japan. Then on Day 2 we took and went back up toward Hiroshima and went out to Miyajima Island which by the way we chose the right ferry so it was free as well cause was same system as Rail so we could get free ferry service two and from. Then day 3 we went back on the ferry and went into Hiroshima and then hiroshima back to Nagoya spent a few days there and then Tokyo after that then departed Japan.

Not only did we use it for the side trip and getting two and from Tokyo but we also had a couple side trips while in Japan around Nagoya which were free as well with the pass.

It ran us $250 each for a 7 day pass but when you factor in that Tokyo alone would have been nearly $200 Round Trip first class reserved seating on the Bullet Train AKA Shinkansen it was well worth it cause if you take that and teh few side tips alone that pays for the rail pass and then the trip to Nagasaki area and Hiroshima for rail alone was totally free of charge to us. So look into a rail pass obviously you'll need one that is goo for a longer period but still worth it.
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

What really bites about this trip is it's the most expensive flight I've ever paid for to go to Scotland. Most of my trips I paid $300-$400 round trip from Atl to Edinburgh.
This time it's going to cost me double which I've got to decide this week cause flights are being bought up like crazy. British Airways has a flight for $691.00 changing in London with a 2 hour change over.
Most of the area that we plan on being out in are the country side and there is no train service up to the coasts on the northern edge. So I have to rent a car for most of the trip.
Like A Shrule said I'd better decide soon. I was hoping it would go down a little. I really believe if you hurry into something you usually make mistakes.

A
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

You should ask before hand. I know my wife and I are doing a trip to Paris in March and it's running us $279 round trip. And this rate applies for Europe in general now all depends on your location if you are in this zone or not. there are 3 different zones for North West airlines so obviously west coast is goping to run more then east coast where we are.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt