Posted: 23-Oct-2004, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: South Carolina

male

In my humble opinion...

My dad has the FEE Family Treemaker and I much prefer my FREE Ancestry Family Tree. There are things that Family Treemaker just added that I have been able to do for some time. Of course, I started using Ancestry Family Tree first and I like it. He started using Family Treemaker and he likes it. I just think Ancestry Family Tree a little more newbie friendly...Well, that and the fact that I'm a tightwad!!

thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
“I have faith and belief myself. I believe that the universe is comprehensible within the bounds of natural law and that the human brain can discover those natural laws and comprehend the universe. I believe that nothing beyond those natural laws is needed. I have no evidence for this. It is simply what I have faith in and what I believe.”
- - - Isaac Asimov
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
roll1959 
  Posted: 01-Dec-2004, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Wyoming, Michigan, U.S.A.

male

I found after checking other programs, I go back to Legacy 5.0. I found it when I purchased the "Genealogy on line for Dummies," book and they had different programs. Some with time limits, some with .gen limits of 50, but the Legacy program was free and with a small exception had the bells and whistles like the others. It allows you to back up your information AND your photo's.

--------------------
"Esse quam videri."
To be, rather than to seem.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
cwa92464 
Posted: 06-Jan-2005, 04:59 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: South Carolina

male

I am a big supporter of free. Here are my sites:

Software: http://aft.ancestry.com

GEDs: http://www.geneanet.org http://www.gencircles.com

There are many others and you do get more info and gadgets at pay sites, but I don't do a bunch of it. Also, look for sites that have the mail groups that will send info when people find stuff or are looking. People are generous when you have a little for them, too.

Good luck!

Chris
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Jan-2005, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I recently cancelled my subscription to geneaology.com. I know some people swear by it, but everytime I was about to get somewhere, I would have to end up paying more money for more information that really wasn't giving me anything that I didn't already know from the free sites I had researched!
Sekhmet 
Posted: 21-Jan-2005, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

I myself have used FTM since it first came out. Currently I'm on version...um...::looks at her discs:: 9.0. I typically don't upgrade to the "latest greatest" version until this one is completely incompatible with what I'm trying to do. I've never had trouble exporting GEDCOM files or even .rtf files for those who don't have the software to open them otherwise. You *can* export without donating to the World Family Tree. I did that once about nine years ago without knowing any better. DON'T DO IT. I was so upset when I figured out what that was for.

A cousin of mine is trying to get me hooked on Legacy...maybe it's because I'm a creature of habit, but I'm just not as impressed with it. I have it on here so that her CDs work, but that's about the extent of it.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 22-Feb-2005, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

My father got Family Tree Maker 2005 and spent weeks entering all of the family history he had been researching for both his side of the family (Daniell, Gore) and my mom's side too (Adkins, Carrithers). He encouraged me to buy the program and I did, but when I tried to understand how it all worked I felt it was beyond me! blink.gif Honestly I've taken on a few too many responsibilities this last year and realized I simply can't deal with another one.

So, I asked my husband to learn how to work with the FTM program and since he's been gathering info on his family too (Gardner, Reid) he agreed... and is having a ball at it! He and dad can talk forever about who they've found and what connection they've made. The really sweet thing is, having acquired photos from several sides of the family now a lot of the entries have actual photos of our ancestors. What a precious thing to see someone who you never knew.

Siobhan Blues

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 22-Feb-2005, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! SB! That is really great news. But just one more thing to keep Reid on the computer though, eh? biggrin.gif I admit the programs are too overwhelming for me too. I am just too lazy to do all that.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 24-Feb-2005, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Oh yeah! Between the FamilyTree thing and this new game Reid has been playing, I have to do my computering while he's at work!

laugh.gif
SB
PM               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]