free2Bme 
Posted: 30-Nov-2002, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

Okay, I now have all of the ingredients necessary to attempt this Tablet recipe! I have been trying to figure out how to measure "2 pounds of sugar" since I dont have any sort of scales to measure with when it occured to me that the sugar I bought comes in 4 pound sacks - so I can measure out the 4 pounds and then divide that measurement in half to get the 2 pounds I need for the recipe, or I can simply double the other ingredients and make an extra large batch of it up! Either way it sounds too delicious to pass up. A storm is approaching so I will wait until tomorrow to attempt this - I dont want the extra humidity to spoil the candy!  ::rolling

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 01-Dec-2002, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

Okay I tried the Tablet Recipe! It has turned out really well - I used 4 standard measuring cups of sugar (half of a 4 pound sack) and I put it all together in a sauce pan and cooked it according to directions.

Kizzen Catriona you are right - this stuff is a dentist's dream! Very YUMMY! It is so rich you can only eat a tiny square of it at a time but it sure tastes good!

I plan on wrapping it up in little squares and storing it in the freezer - it should last for a really long time that way.

Falachaih - stay away from this stuff or your baby will be born with a real sweet tooth!  ::sunsmiley
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 01-Dec-2002, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Glad you like it!  

As I said, a dentist's dream.....  Far too sweet for my taste, but when I made it for my offspring's school, it always disappeared twice as fast as my friend's  English fudge recipe!  

If you like tablet, try my butterscotch recipe... Now, that is truly great....  :D  And I still like to eat a little of it!
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 01-Dec-2002, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Quote (Catriona @ Dec. 01 2002,5:57)
Glad you like it!  

As I said, a dentist's dream.....  Far too sweet for my taste, but when I made it for my offspring's school, it always disappeared twice as fast as my friend's  English fudge recipe!  

If you like tablet, try my butterscotch recipe... Now, that is truly great....  :D  And I still like to eat a little of it!

Maybe your English friend wasn't a very good fudge maker. ;)

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Catriona 
Posted: 01-Dec-2002, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Maggie
You misunderstood!  :(  My friend is a Scot, like me  - she was making ENGLISH style fudge, as opposed to Scottish tablet  :D
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 01-Dec-2002, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

OOpps!  Sorry about that Catriona...maybe your Scottish friend just didn't have the knack for making English fudge.    :D  Not being sarcastic but not everyone can make good creamy fudge.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Catriona 
Posted: 02-Dec-2002, 02:43 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Nope, it's not that...... she's a great cook and her sweets are 'historic' as we like to say over this side of the pond :D
I think it's just that tablet is better appreciated than fudge in Scotland.  ;)
PMEmail Poster               
zeryx 
Posted: 04-Nov-2006, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Dunfermline ~ Scotland

female

Tablet is a traditional sweet confection which, if you like sugary things, is irresistable! You can add some flavouring from essence/extract as well, if you wish. I don't like it - it's far too sweet, but lots of people do smile.gif

Ingredients (for 4 pounds/1.8kg tablet):
Butter or margarine - half pound (225g)
Sweetened condensed milk - one pound (450g)
Castor sugar - 4 pounds (1.8kg)
Water - 1 pint (half litre)

Method
Using a non-stick pan, put the water on a low heat and melt in the butter. Add the sugar and bring to the boil. It is important to keep stirring all the time. Once it is boiling, stir in the condensed milk and simmer for 20 minutes. Again, keep stirring to avoid it sticking/burning. Take off the heat and beat vigorously for five minutes, adding the flavouring of your choice. Pour into a rectangular greased tin and once it is partly cooled, cut into bars (roughly 5 inches long by 1/2 inches wide). Once the tablet is cold, wrap the bars in waxed paper and store in an airtight jar or tin.

--------------------
user posted image

Friends are like quiet angels who lift our feet when our wings forget how to fly
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stevenpd 
Posted: 04-Nov-2006, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

My son enjoys making during the holidays and has become quite good at it. He is working on shortbread as well.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Nell5a 
Posted: 10-Jul-2007, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

female

HI, there's a video showing how to cook tablet on a web tv channel all about Scotland. There's loads of other Scottish recipes there too but the tablet one is:

http://www.scotlandontv.tv/?channel=Food+a...pid=1380_SMG819
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Jul-2007, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Welcome to Celtic Radio Nell5a! I hope you will enjoy the music as well as the wonderful people that are here on this fantastic forum. I am very glad you found us. I enjoy Scotland TV..thanks for posting that link. I look forward to you posting.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]