UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 13-Jul-2008, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Patch, Those places sound like some real camping experiences! Would love to go there myself. Grandfather was in Africa heh, tell us more!

I use to be an avid hunter, mostly whitetail deer, lots of small game grouse, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel, quail, woodcock, dove, waterfowl. I switched to taking their pictures instead.

Irish Stepper, we did the cub scout boy scout thing also. Had some great camp outs. Even got our Polar Bear Badge for winter camping, that was fun.

At the cub scout crossover ceremony, I accidently stuck a stick in my eye when marshalling a campsite, went to the ceremony, watched my son and then promptly went to the hospital, 3 surgeries later , I got to keep the eye and it still works pretty good.

One of the original troop members just earned Eagle Scout!

I still take some cub scout packs out to earn their geology badges.

USN

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
flora 
Posted: 13-Jul-2008, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Greeting fellow Campers:

I couldn't resist replying. I too have stiff bones from jumping to many fences without my horse. The air mattress really is a blessing!

We have taken my six year old grandson camping and I wouldn't trade the experience for any other vacation that I have been on.

We usually try to go to Cade's Cove, Tennessee. There you can really get close to wildlife, hike, and have great fun in all the streams.

Has anyone else experienced a great time on this side of the US?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 13-Jul-2008, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I have done a good deal of tent camping in a wide variety of settings and weather: mostly BSA camping as a youth and as a scoutmater and Venturing leader; E&E camping during Air Force survival school; canping under canvas and under the stars during War Between the States re-enactments; and camping under canvas at SCA events, particularly Pennsic. Weather from 20 below zero F to 100 above zero F, and from wind-blown snow/frozen rain to summer thunderstorms.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 13-Jul-2008, 02:29 AM)
Patch, Those places sound like some real camping experiences! Would love to go there myself. Grandfather was in Africa heh, tell us more!

I use to be an avid hunter, mostly whitetail deer, lots of small game grouse, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel, quail, woodcock, dove, waterfowl. I switched to taking their pictures instead.

Irish Stepper, we did the cub scout boy scout thing also. Had some great camp outs. Even got our Polar Bear Badge for winter camping, that was fun.

At the cub scout crossover ceremony, I accidently stuck a stick in my eye when marshalling a campsite, went to the ceremony, watched my son and then promptly went to the hospital, 3 surgeries later , I got to keep the eye and it still works pretty good.

One of the original troop members just earned Eagle Scout!

I still take some cub scout packs out to earn their geology badges.

USN

He hunted near Mt. Kilimanjaro and in what is now Namibia. He took a Cape Buffalo, Lion, Elephant, Leopard and a lot of small game. He went for 6 weeks. He planned to go back for a Rhino but never did. His trip was in the mid 20's.

The Elk hunt is just for the camp experience for me, however I want a "cinnamon" phase black bear from BC and if I make it to Africa, I want a Cape Buffalo, Leopard and the larger antelope.

It will be about 75% for the camp experience and 25% for the game in BC and Africa. The best I can do in Africa is 15 to 21 days. If the dollar keeps dropping, maybe not even that.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
ranger 
Posted: 19-Aug-2008, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

Has anyone tried any of the Jellystone National Parks for the kids? Was thinking about trying our "local" one out on Fall Break.

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 04-Sep-2008, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Now how did I overlook this thread? My mind must have been elsewhere.

I'm not a big fan of camping just for the sake of camping. Not disparaging it in any way, it's just that to me camping is always part of a wider outdoor adventure such as fishing, hunting or exploring the back country with the sled dog team.

My favorite "camping" trips are long dogsled runs during winter and I'm frequently either alone with my team or running with just one companion and his or her team. Camp often isn't much more than the shelter of the sled bag in a copse of spruce to break the wind. After a hard day of running, by the time we get the dogs fed and settled and stuff something resembling food into our own mouths we are pretty much done in ourselves.

There isn't anything in the world quite like the mixed emotions of waking up in the middle of the night in a nice, warm sleeping bag knowing one has no real choice but to get up and empty that full bladder while the northern lights are dancing around the stars, and the thermometer reads 3o below or colder.

True fact - it's cold no matter what you do about it, but it sure is pretty.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 05-Sep-2008, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Swanny:

I enjoyed hearing of your experience. May I ask how do train yourself for the running of your dog team? Is this something that you do year round? I had a friend that lived in Alaska for a short while (could not adjust to the daylight difference).

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 05-Sep-2008, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

flora;

Wife and I went camping this one time. Got lost in the bush for 4 days. Best damn time I ever had camping.

My youngest was born 9 months later.

Camac.

flora 
Posted: 16-Sep-2008, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Hello everyone!

I am having camping fever!!!!! When life comes on too strong, I think of the mountains. The weather has been hot and humid here. I long for the mountains and seeing the leaves change.

I wonder when the leaves change in each of your areas?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 28-Apr-2009, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

We are planning our summer camping trip with the whole family this time. This will include two grandsons along with their parents. I am looking forward to watching them tube the streams. They are still to young to whitewater raft but maybe we can take turns so us older kids can play.

Does anyone else have plans?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 29-Apr-2009, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

It is a little cold (46 degrees) for camping yet and my idea of camping is a Hampton Inns or a Marriott!

I believe I will see some old friends and check out some old hunting haunts in the West and South West in late May.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 30-Apr-2009, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Personally, I kind of like 46 degrees for camping--very pleasant temp for sleeping. Of course, I've also done tent camping with my scout troop when it was 20 below.
I camped at a reenactment in Neshaminy State Park, PA, a couple of weeks ago, and will be doing the same at Newtown Battlefield Park near Elmira NY this week-end.
rolleyes.gif angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 02-May-2009, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

This is how we camp!

#1 group camp at dinner time

user posted image

#2 sleepy eyes at camp

user posted image

#3 personal camp in Nov 10 several years ago

user posted image

this is the only way to camp....

All of these were late fall, early spring ( March/April )

Swanny I think you can relate to this....

Shadows

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
GaretJax 
Posted: 22-May-2009, 07:26 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

This is a link to where I'm taking my boys this June. Camping, canoeing, float fishing and beer around the campfire at night.....for me, not the boys. biggrin.gif

http://www.arkansas.com/lakes-rivers/river.aspx?id=11

Hope the link works. Got a good friend who has a cabin on the edge of the Ozarks. First time I've been able to take the boys, so I'm starting them in an old cabin instead of a tent. sad.gif My wife's idea. I will probably take the tent along and see what they think. Weather permitting we may just stay out by the campfire all night. Have to wait and see how they do. If I can wear tehm out enough during the day they shouldn't care where they sleep.......
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 22-May-2009, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Good luck on wearing the kids out, GaretJax. biggrin.gif May I ask what are the ages? My husband and I still hold onto camping in a tent. About the only time we get a cabin is in February. My son and his family have a camping trailer but I just don't think it is the same.

I do get a kick out of how some families set up "the old homestead" at their sites though. They hang decorated lights, set up seasonal decorations, blow leaves with leaf blower, etc. Just to set my husband off, I stopped by a dollar store in the area and bought a seasonal decoration to go on the picnic table! Boy, I got alot of good mileage on that dig.

I know you will have a great time.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]