Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Banned: Master And Slave, offensive labels?
maryellen 
Posted: 01-Dec-2003, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

This is an interesting article. Only in Los Angeles can I see this actually pass.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/...ster.term.reut/

Where does the insanity stop? Who is offended? It's a computer term! No more free speech...

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 01-Dec-2003, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Now Now come on Maryellen we wouldn't want the slave drives feelings to be hurt wink.gif laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 01-Dec-2003, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Oh, my.........

Now that's just ridiculous. On the other hand, it doesn't surprise me at all.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 01-Dec-2003, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

What are we going to have next?

Are they going to have to change the names of the male and female electrical and plumbing plugs and fittings in the name of sexual discrimination?

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
maidsmum 
  Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

female

Isn't it terrible - there is so much going on in the world that stinks and some half wit is complaining about the name given to an inanimate object!! It is really ridiculous the way some people prioritise garbage! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

*sighs*
I just can't understand what is going on in those ppl's heads? A PC is okay but these ppl making new rules are really taking it too far in my eyes..

Where would we go without ridiculing the Polish/French etc and they us in Return? (as a German, that is)

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Dec 27 2003, 04:42 PM)
*sighs*
I just can't understand what is going on in those ppl's heads? A PC is okay but these ppl making new rules are really taking it too far in my eyes..

Where would we go without ridiculing the Polish/French etc and they us in Return? (as a German, that is)

Whatever you say MUST be correct, Mistress Aon. tongue.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
High Plains Drifter 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Colorado

male

On the surface, it seems pretty ridiculous to me also but none of my ancestors were ever owned by another individual that I know. I'm pretty sure that the individual that complained isn't serious enough to boycott all products that use those terms unless they live very close to work and shopping. In the field of hydraulics the terms master and slave have been used forever. Every auto, bus, truck, etc. manufactured in the last eighty-five or so years has at least one master and four or more slave cylinders and most recent standard shift vehicles have two master and five or more slave cylinders. (Hydraulic brakes and clutches) I suppose we could rewrite all the service manuals, parts lists, and training materials for all hydraulic equipment, computer terminals, and what ever else uses these terms but that doesn't seem very reasonable to me. If it is just one or two individuals that find this offensive, then it is ridiculous, if it is a whole segment of the population, then we ought to be sensitive to there feeling. I'm not in a position to know this and I don't think most folks of European ancestry are. Richard, you are of Native American stock, are there certain terms that are commonly used that you feel are offensive?

--------------------
Be Mindful
PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (High Plains Drifter @ Dec 27 2003, 04:12 PM)
none of my ancestors were ever owned by another individual that I know.

if it is a whole segment of the population, then we ought to be sensitive to there feeling. I'm not in a position to know this and I don't think most folks of European ancestry are.

Maybe, but I bet that if you went far enough back, you'd find that one of your ancestors was a slave. Slavery was very popular through human history. Most of the time, it had nothing to do with skin color. If your side lost the war, well, you had a new boss. The problem with pandering to every whiner who says that something offends him is that, soon, something offends everyone. Personally, I think they should leave their five-year-old attitudes behind and join the world of adults.

The arguments for this are the same as for the reparations debate. There are no ex-slaves alive. There are no children of ex-slaves alive. And there probably aren't any grandchildren of ex-slaves alive. The realities of slavery are unknown to the people who are catterwauling about this perceived slight. And, unless the people whining about this are directly affected by slavery, then their opinion is no different than the opinion of some one of "European heritage." Therefore, they should gird themselves up, wipe away the crocodile tears and get over it.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (High Plains Drifter @ Dec 27 2003, 05:12 PM)
Richard, you are of Native American stock, are there certain terms that are commonly used that you feel are offensive?

I was going to say no but I guess there really is.

First of all, I am a human being just like everyone else. I am not any better than anyone else but I am not under anyone else other.

Second, I am anoyed by those who cry slavery. I would like to ask them who the first slaves were here? The Mayans and Aztecs and the rest of the other 500 tribes.

Times have changed I know most people are sorry for what has happend in the past and things cannot be changed to turn the clock back. We just have to dig our heels in and get through it.

Third, is the Native American name that has been dubbed on us. We were Native Turtle Island People and among us were the Shawnee, Cherokee, Lakota, and all the other tribes. That is like telling a Scotsman the they are not Scots but Native European. How do you think that would go over?

I understand that this is now America and there is nothing I can say or do to change that. And even if I could, why should I. This Country has been so intragrated for so many years so that it is just a part of life.

So if I was to be political correct about who I am that I would say that I am a male of the Americas of Shawnee, Lenne Lenape, Irish, Scottish, English, German, Swiss and French.

Now I know that there are others out here that would disagree with me, but all I would say to them, the question was not asked to them and it was of me and this is my opinion and everyone has their own opinion.

So if I really want to get down to it then I would claim that every penny made in the Americas must be given to all of us who were here first and this would end all arguements.

My Wife has just reminded me that there is a qutoe/unquote Indian word that the people find very offensive, especially amongst the women and that is the word "SQUAW". First of all this does not refer to all women. This is a term used for a woman who is a whore. And this is not a joking matter to them either.

But as far as Politically Correct wording, I am really sick and tired of it.
PMEmail Poster                
Swanny 
Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 04:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

My Wife has just reminded me that there is a qutoe/unquote Indian word that the people find very offensive, especially amongst the women and that is the word "SQUAW".

There are some racial epithets pertaining directly to American NDNs that you probably wouldn't wish to be called, but I think that's not the issue here, is it? I don't know of any object that's commonly known by such terms. Someone using those terms would be doing so with every intention of offending you (akin to using the notorious "N" word).

People who wish to be offended will take offense at minutiae. Nothing we can do about it except remind them that no-where in the consitution or even the declaration of independence is there mentioned a right to not be offended.

The "political correctness" movement isn't about offensive or inoffensive terms, however. In my opinion it's about control. If you can control how people speak, eventually you can also control how people think, and I believe that is the ultimate goal of the "PC" crowd.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

I can understand you all, I mean, okay, my comment seems quite harsh actually. =/

But we are talking inanimate objects, harddrives, cd-rom drives etc. If it was about people it would maybe be a different matter.

If talking about people that have been slaves of the tribes that shaped Europe? Nobody talks about that.
And I doubt anybody of us would be offended by the term "Native European" since we are.. We were born here, grew up here and probably will die here as well. Which makes us "Native European" in the sense of the word (if Scot, German etc)

Many of us were suppressed by others, but mostly they suppressed.. I don't think it's something to be proud of, and I frown when I hear ppl speaking about the "Great British Empire" but even so it shaped people.

I am Goth. I get words thrown after me that you wouldn't even want to hear "Satan's Biatch" is one of them... That actually only a small percentage of Goths is satanist.. who's interested in that? (Apart from the fact that satanism isn't much of a religion, more mysticism.. the satanistic bible shows a way of life rather than how to sacrifice things)
I once walked down the street in full war-paint, leather trousers, all black, etc (complete with spikes just about everywhere.. neck, wrists waist) and some people I walked past (not too old actually) mentioned, very well audible for me: "I would never let my kids dress like that"
Sorry, but if I was what they probably thought I was I would have turned around and ripped their throats out? Or something similar nasty.
No wonder people grow into tight minded *Bleeeep*'s or choose the other way and get rebellious.

I think you are right Swanny, it's about control. Control people's minds, make them simple after they finally managed (some of them at least) to think for themselves.

For me personally it's not about PC but about Tolerance which is in my eyes respecting people as they are. *rants*

*sighs* I'll step down from this blasted Soapbox.. it's too seductive.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
  Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 28 2003, 12:10 AM)

First of all, I am a human being just like everyone else. I am not any better than anyone else but I am not under anyone else other.

Yes you are! You are a FISHERMAN!!!!! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 28 2003, 08:16 AM)
QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 28 2003, 12:10 AM)

First of all, I am a human being just like everyone else.  I am not any better than anyone else but I am not under anyone else other.

Yes you are! You are a FISHERMAN!!!!! biggrin.gif

Thank you Maisky, you are ever so right! thumbs_up.gif

You noticed that it did not say FISHERPERSON!
PMEmail Poster                
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

btw.. we all tend to forget that there is another group which uses the "Master and Slave" theme very often....
I'm talking about SM-ppl btw.

I used to work in telephone sex business (only sitting on the computer tho.. thank goodness!), good money, but it totally destroyed my image of men *sighs*
Most of them were alright but some just made me sad.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]