Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Where Do You Live?, If you want to share...
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 08-Sep-2004, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 06-Sep-2004, 10:17 PM)
Ceciliastar1, what's wrong with Ohio? I've never been there, so I am quite curious as to your issues with the place?

Rory

I've been living in a Steel Workers city for the past three years for school. I am just sick of the place for many reasons really. It's got a lot of steel factories and so the air smells and the water is very bad for you, the Ohio river is sooooo polluted. It's next to impossible to get a good job in Steubenville (where I live), the only places that hire are the fast food joints and I didn't pay 16,000 (or more) a year to work at McDonald's. I don't like the people. They are all stuck in a rut, they smoke (not cigarettes) and drink. That's all any of them do, the one's I know have been working at Pizza Hut for 20 odd years. They have no life goals and they just bring me down whenever I hang out with them. I don't hang out with them much anymore. I need to focus on my life and my goals. I believe in love and marriage and family. They find it nessecary to talk all my life-long dream down and that it's all a bunch of bull. Drinking and smoking and sleeping around and having kids you can't pay for left and right is the way to live. I don't think so. The school I go to isn't very good either. It's a Catholic school and they make me not want to be Catholic a lot. I have been condemned to Hell about 5 times a year for things like watching (and enjoying) Harry Potter, for disagreeing with a theolofgy professor (which I did a lot and so I changed my major thank God), for wanting to be famous in Hollywood and not want to make really preaching catholic movies. If I want to change the media I am not going to make a movie about a Saint, I am going to make a movie with strong morals. Small things like that will change it, not preachy movies cause nobody will watch them (I hate preachy movies). I'm just tired of the atmosphere. I don't like the way people think of me and my friends. I know I have been going on and on, but I need to move to a better place and FAST.
I hope that answers your question Rory...haha!

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 08-Sep-2004, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,881 Gold!

Cecily

Have you thought of changing schools? I know sometimes it's hard to do in mid stream, but if your drowning in polluted waters, maybe it's the best thing. I can HIGHLY reccomend UNC-CH for their English/Lit/Journalism etc. departments. If you're interested in theater, my daughter-in-law just finished her masters in Theater Pedigogy at Virginia Commonwealth Univ. in Richmond. She said it was a super program. There are hundreds of fine schools all across the country. If your school is too limiting, then transfer. It is your education; you are in charge.

On the other hand, most places have their bad sides. Back up and take a fresh look at your town. Look for people who aren't pot/crack/dope smoking losers. There's got to be some place that young professionals congregate. There must be other students there who share your views. Look for the good people and the good things.

If I sound preachy, I apologize. It's the parent in me coming out. (You remember Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Well, I woke up one morning and a parent had taken over my body. SCARY fear.gif )

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 08-Sep-2004, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

LOL. thanks for the encouragement and advice. I acutally graduate in December. So I think I can handle a couple more months. Just nobody move there! haha!
Seriously though, I love this website cause people here are so nice and they do not judge at all. I love it!
RobertH 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Washington

male

I live in the small town of Steilacoom, Washington. It's truly a small slice of heaven. No traffic lights, and the only traffic jams occur when the deer decide not to clear the intersection. I can take a 3-minute walk to an overlook from which I can watch the sun set over the Puget Sound. Mount Rainier is to the southeast, and is easy to see from many vantage points around. We are close enough to the city that my wife is happy, but still have all the advantages of a small town atmosphere. The rain isn't as frequent as some make it out to be. Besides, we rarely have to battle through snow, being this near to the sound. If we want winter sports, though, it's a short 45 minute drive to the pass and ski slopes. My son and I go snow cave camping at Mount Rainier in the winter...last time we were there the snow base was 17 feet!
PMEmail Poster               
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Granada, Spain

male

Hi There!

Don't think that bad of people working in Pizza Hut :-(... I just do it to pay my trips!

I love the place where I live. For what you told it has nothing to do with Ohio. I don't normally like the south of Spain, it's too dry, and people just born, produce, consume and die, but I love my city.

We have a slight Arabic influence in spite of beeing in the South of Spain, and Arabic castle and lots of old houses and monuments... The city is more than 4000 years old!

We also have a strong university and we receive lots of studens who want to learn Spanish (Lots of Americans), so we have a very different population with lots of stutends and tourists.

Here's a picture of Granada, my city. It's an old neightbourhood near the Alhambra, an Arabic Castle.

PMEmail Poster               
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Granada, Spain

male

Arf... html code failed :-(. Does this forum support a bit of HTML?

Here it goes again... If it doesn't work, just follow this link to see it.

http://www-etsi2.ugr.es/usuarios/wallen/Ta...lbaicinoche.jpg
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

That is very beautiful! It must be wonderful to have so much history all around you.

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
oldraven 
Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Wow! Yellowknife is someone's dream vacation. unsure.gif

(just remember, for the short time of the year with 24hr sunlight, more of it is 24hr darkness wink.gif My cousin has lived there for 14 years and has given me LOTS of stories, [and reasons not to go]) Knowing what I do of getting-away though, I wouldn't doubt this place would be a haven for him. smile.gif looots of wilderness.

ANYWHO! Hi everybody, I'm Adam. smile.gif (can it get any cheesier) I'm living in Edmonton Alberta, just on the east side of the Rocky Mountain range. Actually, 2 hrs to the east, but you get the point. I've lived here for three years now, with my lovely lady, my bride, Angela. I lived here in '98-99 as well, but that was not a good time. Right out of college (actually, right out of college drop out) and getting farther in debt. But this time I had a clearer head on my shoulders, otherwise known as Ange. laugh.gif We came here to pay off our debt from school and car loans, etc. By April/May we will be there, as well as the proud owners of a new cub. smile.gif Next summer, our battle with debt will be over, and we can leave this bitterly cold place behind. Ok, it's a great place to live. The city has jobs galore, and a 1/4 population of Maritimers. If you leave the city, there are some amazing places to kick back and just get away. Edmonton's biggest apeal, to some, is it's Gargantuan Mall, but for me, it's the proximity to the mountains and foothills.

We're heading home this summer. smile.gif The Highlands of New Scotland, in Canada's Maritimes. I must say, I'll never leave it again. Not for more than a month, at any rate.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

I currently am located (or my parents, rather) in a little town about an hour north of Indianapolis, Indiana. It's not the nicest of towns, as it is a bit run down in spots, and you have to drive 20 to 30 minutes through corn fields in any direction to get to any bigger towns. However, all my mom's family lives there, so that is an added bonus when I am actually at home.
I am going to school in Western Kentucky and I absolutely love it. The town my school is located in is a typical college town, with most of the residents thriving on the business the school brings (there probably wouldn't be a town if it wasn't for the school). The nearest sign of "civilization" is 45 minutes away, but the same amount of travel will get one to the beautiful Land Between the Lakes region. This town may not be as developed and entertaining as the suburb southwest of Chicago that I grew up in, but I'd take it any day over that snobby town. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Spanish Rover! Your city is absolutely breathingly beautiful. such history and lots of culture to take in as well. I can imagine why you would be proud to live where you do. Thanks for sharing! smile.gif
MDF3530 
  Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Spanish Rover,

That is a gorgeous pic of your city.

Not only did I download it, but I then Photoshop'd it and set it as the wallpaper on my desktop.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
RobertH 
Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Washington

male

Cailiosa - I spent almost 5 years in Indianapolis and loved every minute of it. Had a great time driving around the off-roads, through cornfields (well, not THROUGH them - you know what I mean!) and by the farms. I thought it was a lovely place to be.
PMEmail Poster               
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 29-Sep-2004, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

QUOTE (Cailiosa @ 28-Sep-2004, 01:46 PM)
I currently am located (or my parents, rather) in a little town about an hour north of Indianapolis, Indiana.

What town? I've probably been there, at least if you have a lumber yard I did. I used to sell building materials to lumber yards, so I've been to about a third of them in Indiana.

Erik Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
maisky 
Posted: 29-Sep-2004, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

I am currently in transition from the North side of Chicago to Northern Virginia. As of this weekend, home is the Homestead Studio Suites in Chantilly. We will move to a place of our own when the money allows it. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 29-Sep-2004, 08:09 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

QUOTE (Ceciliastar1 @ 08-Sep-2004, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 06-Sep-2004, 10:17 PM)
Ceciliastar1, what's wrong with Ohio?  I've never been there, so I am quite curious as to your issues with the place?

Rory

I've been living in a Steel Workers city for the past three years for school. I am just sick of the place for many reasons really. It's got a lot of steel factories and so the air smells and the water is very bad for you, the Ohio river is sooooo polluted. It's next to impossible to get a good job in Steubenville (where I live), the only places that hire are the fast food joints and I didn't pay 16,000 (or more) a year to work at McDonald's. I don't like the people. They are all stuck in a rut, they smoke (not cigarettes) and drink. That's all any of them do, the one's I know have been working at Pizza Hut for 20 odd years. They have no life goals and they just bring me down whenever I hang out with them. I don't hang out with them much anymore. I need to focus on my life and my goals. I believe in love and marriage and family. They find it nessecary to talk all my life-long dream down and that it's all a bunch of bull. Drinking and smoking and sleeping around and having kids you can't pay for left and right is the way to live. I don't think so. The school I go to isn't very good either. It's a Catholic school and they make me not want to be Catholic a lot. I have been condemned to Hell about 5 times a year for things like watching (and enjoying) Harry Potter, for disagreeing with a theolofgy professor (which I did a lot and so I changed my major thank God), for wanting to be famous in Hollywood and not want to make really preaching catholic movies. If I want to change the media I am not going to make a movie about a Saint, I am going to make a movie with strong morals. Small things like that will change it, not preachy movies cause nobody will watch them (I hate preachy movies). I'm just tired of the atmosphere. I don't like the way people think of me and my friends. I know I have been going on and on, but I need to move to a better place and FAST.
I hope that answers your question Rory...haha!

Ceciliastar,
I can certainly understand your revulsion for Steubenville, having been through that area myself. It's one of the worst places to be, I'll agree, but please, please (!) don't judge all of Ohio by what you've experienced there!! I'm appalled that you would do so! I grew up just outside of Dayton, near the Huffman Dam and Wright Patterson AFB. My hubby grew up just outside of Columbus, in West Jefferson (small farm town). We both agree that you need to take a trip across I-70, across the State and away from Steubenville (far away!). Enjoy the rolling hills, and farms (no pollution!). Visit Columbus, and spend some time there. It's a growing, upbeat, warm, friendly, supportive City. Come an hour further West, and visit Dayton. You'll find people very much like yourself there, too. Stop along the way at the smaller towns, as well. You'll be surprised at the difference in mentality and outlook that you find.

Every State has its share of depressing, life-draining, morally bankrupt towns. You're so much stronger than any of that, and you're right not to let anyone there squelch that wonderful spirit! In three months you'll be leaving them all far behind. Just please don't let them represent the rest of the State!

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]