PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 01-Mar-2006, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Rowan @ 09-Feb-2006, 10:04 PM)
I like Rio Grande and Sons of Katie Elder. John Wayne and Dean Martin make a great cowboy team. cowboy.gif

For Christmas a few years ago, I got the complete "Cavalry Trilogy". These are Fort Apache, Rio Grande and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. All three star John Wayne. They are called the Cavalry Trilogy although they were not made with that intent. John Ford (a fine Irishman I may add), directed all three. They have a similarity in theme with some character names that continue thru all three. One of the best things is the Irish influences. Many of the characters are Irish and some fine Irish songs are featured.
One of my all-time favorite actors has been Victor McGlagen (sp?). He usually plays the Irish sargent. Did you know he was not Irish at all? He is from London! I just learned that a few months ago!!
PMEmail Poster               
Cordelia 
Posted: 01-Mar-2006, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (j Padraig moore @ 01-Mar-2006, 11:48 AM)
For Christmas a few years ago, I got the complete "Cavalry Trilogy". These are Fort Apache, Rio Grande and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. All three star John Wayne. They are called the Cavalry Trilogy although they were not made with that intent. John Ford (a fine Irishman I may add), directed all three. They have a similarity in theme with some character names that continue thru all three. One of the best things is the Irish influences. Many of the characters are Irish and some fine Irish songs are featured.
One of my all-time favorite actors has been Victor McGlagen (sp?). He usually plays the Irish sargent. Did you know he was not Irish at all? He is from London! I just learned that a few months ago!!

John Agar's in 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon' right? How would you rate his performance? And congratulations on getting the Cavalry Trilogy. Which one's your favorite?
PMEmail Poster                
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 03-Mar-2006, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Thought John Agar was fine. Didn't he marry Shirley Temple?
I'd say Rio Grande is my favorite. It's a little corny in this day and age, but still a favorite of mine.
PMEmail Poster               
Cordelia 
Posted: 03-Mar-2006, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (j Padraig moore @ 03-Mar-2006, 10:11 AM)
Thought John Agar was fine. Didn't he marry Shirley Temple?
I'd say Rio Grande is my favorite. It's a little corny in this day and age, but still a favorite of mine.

Yeah, he's the ex-husband.
PMEmail Poster                
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 08-Mar-2006, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Something I just thought of regarding the John Ford Cavalry movies: guess what expression is used repeatedly in "Rio Grande"? - "Git-R-Done! Yep, thats right! One character uses that expression a number of times throughout the film. The film was made in 1950, so that expression has been around for 50+ years! There truly is nothing new under the sun.

cowboy.gif
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 08-Mar-2006, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

We have the premium packages here from Dish Network that includes all the HBO, Cinamax, Showtime, TMC, Starz, etc. But when I'm in the mood for a good movie, I usually turn on American Classic Movies or look for something made prior to 1980.

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 08-Mar-2006, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

There was film made in the 70's that my wife and just loved: the Wild Geese. With Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Roger Moore. It's about former British army vets that became mercenaries, going on one last mission to Africa. Exciting but sad too. It finally came out on DVD last November. We pre-ordered it from Amazon.com.

tank.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 08-Mar-2006, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

In my PlayStation 2 right now (which is also my DVD player) is my favorite Charlton Heston movie, Ben-Hur. I'm just past the chariot race. IMHO, that is the best scene from that movie.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a liberal. Just because I don't agree with Charlton Heston's stance on gun control doesn't mean I don't like his movies.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
crazykiltedcelt 
Posted: 27-Mar-2006, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

LOCH MOY
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: utah

male

" Get it got it good" the court Jester is the bomb I LOVE DANNY kAYEanother great is Charle Chaplin.

--------------------
shout freedom and loose the legs of woe

A man in a kilt is a man & an halve
PMEmail Poster               
Cordelia 
Posted: 27-Mar-2006, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

We loved the Court Jester, too. Another funny one was Bob Hope's Monsieur Beaucair!
PMEmail Poster                
sisterknight 
Posted: 27-Mar-2006, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

QUOTE (Cordelia @ 09-Feb-2006, 07:10 PM)
We love Captain Blood too!

yes,yes, yes captian blood with erroyl flynn!!!waht about lawerence of arabia?o r ant of the "on the road"flicks with bob hope and the rest of that gang???the old musicals were the best like south seas etc. note.gif note.gif

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
Lil 
Posted: 22-May-2006, 04:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Spring Hill, Florida, USA

female

My favorite old movie is, "Fobidden Planet" with Leslie Nielsen ( waaaaay before those silly movies he does nowadays, Naked Gun 1000 or whatever the current one is) and the original Robby the Robot. We also love the old Errol Flynn movies ("I'll not kiss you till you ask me to and say my name 3 times" To Maureen O'Hara --his name was Jamie Boy) as well as the B&W Universal Horror Mummy movies and I'm a Hammer Films nut. I agree, bring back the innuendo!

Lil
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 22-May-2006, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I am looking fora dvd of my favorite movie adaptation of a b'way musical -- Showboat, with Katherine Grayson and Howard Keel (and Ava Gardner -- how beautiful she was in that role -- and the incomparable William Warfield singing Ol' Man River). 1951, it was made -- the year after I myself made my appearance smile.gif . It never fails to reduce me to tears.

"Life upon the wicked stage ain't nothin' for a girl."
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Bob Hope and Abbott and Costello were always my favs. Especially Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. Talk about an all star monster lineup.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]