Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Ms. Palin shows much political savy in her short public office experience. It usually takes folks MUCH longer to become totally corrupt. She is a fast learner.

CNN article titled:

Palin charges Alaska for kids' travel

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/21/pal...l.ap/index.html

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
John Clements 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 22-Oct-2008, 08:04 AM)
Ms. Palin shows much political savy in her short public office experience. It usually takes folks MUCH longer to become totally corrupt. She is a fast learner.

CNN article titled:

Palin charges Alaska for kids' travel

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/21/pal...l.ap/index.html

Hi maisky;
I am aware of this so I haven’t read the entire article, but, did you know that she is also being investigated for being paid per dim expenses, "for living in her own house". As well as being investigate as to just who paid for her house, which happened to be built by the same contractor, at the same time period, who build a sports arena her town.

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Hey guys. No surprise. Show me a politician and I'll show you a well dressed crook.

Camac.

gwenlee 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

This is old news. Nothing that the other politician haven't taken advantage of. Did you read about the governor before her? Alaskan must be okay with her look at her approval rating.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (gwenlee @ 22-Oct-2008, 10:53 AM)
This is old news. Nothing that the other politician haven't taken advantage of. Did you read about the governor before her? Alaskan must be okay with her look at her approval rating.

True: I heard her predecessor was worse, and Alaskans seem to really like her.
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

Sarah Palin has characterized herself as “an everyday, working-class American” and claimed “It’s time that normal Joe Six-Pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency”, when in reality she’s a millionaire with three homes and an airplane. The median American income last year was $50,233; $2,010 less than it was in 2000 (with an average credit card debt of $9,840; Palin has none). A real "Normal Joe Six-Pack American" got a $750 tax cut from King George; Sarah Palin's was $120,000. I guess it’s much easier to be a millionaire if you can connive other people to keep picking up the tab for you and your family.

Sarah Palin has repeatedly charged the State of Alaska for airline tickets and hotel rooms for her children, at least 76 times. Three weeks before McCain chose Palin as his running mate, and after Alaska reporters asked for the records, Palin ordered her expense reports altered to claim that the kids were on official State business. Tony Knowles, who is the only other recent Alaska governor who had school-age children while in office, bluntly stated that “There was no valid reason for the children to be along on state business. I cannot recall any instance during my eight years as governor where it would have been appropriate to claim they performed state business.”

Sarah Palin has charged the State of Alaska nearly $17,000 in per diem payments for more than 300 nights that she slept in her own bed at her own home, only 40 miles from her satellite office in Anchorage.

In the two months since her selection as McCain’s running mate Sarah Palin has charged more than $150,000 on clothing and accessories for herself and her family to the Republican National Committee.

A bipartisan commission containing more Republicans than Democrats appointed by the Alaska state legislature prior to her selection as McCain’s running mate to investigate allegations that Sarah Palin abused her powers as governor unanimously concluded that Palin violated the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.

Completely aside from her stated desire to ban books, fire people she doesn’t like, hire high-school friends as government employees, teach Biblical creationism in schools, ban abortion, sex education, and most forms of birth control, fund far-right fundamentalist Christian madrassas with tax money, pray for war and pipelines, attack Russia and Iran, and "energize" the Republican "base" so thoroughly that her campaign stops are eerily reminiscent of Ku Klux Klan rallies, replete with angry racist epithets and explicit threats of assassination, is this really who you want a heartbeat away from the presidency of the United States?

--------------------
Patch 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Considering her time in politics, she should be commended as she quickly became a "true politician"!!

Alaska is noted for its political corruption and it continues to hold that distinction.

I see no difference between her and any of the main candidates today. I expect nothing from any of them.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

I see no difference between her and any of the main candidates today.

Actually, there are very significant differences.

John McCain has publicly called for a Constitutional amendment banning abortion, and has repeatedly vowed to appoint Supreme Court justices who will overturn Roe v. Wade (he only needs one). The next president will make at least one appointment to the Supreme Court, and a whole slew of Federal judgeships, all of which serve for life and by setting precedent on a vast array of civil rights, privacy, and Constitutional issues have vast power to shape American life for decades to come. John McCain’s “model” judge; Antonin Scalia.

John McCain is a lifelong proponent of Reaganomics and the radical deregulation which has proven so disastrous to not only the US economy but the world. His campaign chairman, chief architect of his economic policy, and favorite for Treasury is Phil Gramm, who authored the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, which made the sub-prime meltdown possible, and then secretly hid it in a “must pass” omnibus spending bill the night before it was to be voted on (he also authored the bill which enabled Enron to defraud the entire state of California, while his wife was an Enron executive). In return for his services, Gramm was rewarded with a new job for life; senior vice president for graft and corruption at the mega-bank UBS. While working on the McCain campaign, Gramm has continued to lobby Congress on this foreign banks behalf; one of about 170 lobbyists on McCain’s campaign payroll. One of the richest 1% of Americans, Gramm sneered that all of us working-class corporate serfs were “a nation of whiners” for complaining as our average incomes decreased for the first time in American history and personal bankruptcies and foreclosures hit record levels. At about the same time, John McCain was stating that the American economy was “fundamentally strong”.

John McCain has vowed to stay the course in Iraq until victory is achieved, even if it takes 100 years, despite all of the incontrovertible evidence that the war was not only wholly unnecessary, but the stated reasons for going to war in the first place were entirely fabricated.

If anything happens to John McCain, Sarah Palin becomes president.

If Barak Obama wins, it might be “business as usual”, but he does have a definitive plan; and I think it’s a good one, and a much better one than his opponent. If you’re going to criticize it, I strongly suggest you read it first: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

If John McCain wins, it will definitely be “business as usual”. There is absolutely nothing in his record or campaign platform to suggest otherwise.
Patch 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 11:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I do not believe either is honest and/or ethical and I can not believe McCain will have any solid agenda for judges or any thing else. The only thing that has remained constant through out his career in government is his explosive temper.

I also believe the Constitution is good as it is written and see no need for further amendments. McCain very possibly will attempt to block abortion and Obama will probably try to ban ownership of firearms. I do not see that either's policies in general are good for America in these times. Both VP candidates have had their verbal errors and I question either's ability to lead should the need arise. Tough, in the same vein, we were very fortunate that bush remained healthy as Cheny would have been a real nightmare.

As a Catholic, I am against abortion but feel that God gave us freedom to choose and maybe it should be left that way.

My latest Zogby "unweighted" poll has the race holding at 1% for Obama with a 3% margin of error. Obama seems to control the most EC votes and unless he looses some that are now considered his, McCain can not win. This could then be decided by the House when they return after the election.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

Confirmed Daydreamer
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (Emmet @ 22-Oct-2008, 05:19 PM)
...her campaign stops are eerily reminiscent of Ku Klux Klan rallies, replete with angry racist epithets and explicit threats of assassination, is this really who you want a heartbeat away from the presidency of the United States?

Reminiscent of Klan rallies? How many of those have you attended? Yes, there is a "fired up" Republican base since Palin joined with McCain. The reason the base is getting energized by Palin is that finally a politician running for high office is outing the elitists and the uber-biased media for what they really are. Those per-diems and other things you mention, when compared to the egregious mismanagement of US taxpayers dollars in Washington looks more like perks. Personally, I would rather we pay for all the Palin's lifestyle requirements than to continue feeding, schooling, clothing, and providing medical care for the rugrats of illegal immigrants. For many, the idea that the tenacity behind auctioning off the "company" jet may make its way to Washington under a Palin presidency is very desirable. While the old-timers on the hill may like to make mincemeat out of her...if and when she becomes president...if she stands her ground and gets the message out of "we're not standing for wasteful spending and entitlement programs anymore", then she will be successful, and the country will benefit in the process.

47.2% of likely voters eyes' are glazed over. I'm not sure if it's what they're smoking, the MSNBC they're watching, or both.

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 12:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

Sarah Palin has charged the State of Alaska nearly $17,000 in per diem payments for more than 300 nights that she slept in her own bed at her own home, only 40 miles from her satellite office in Anchorage.

This is exactly what Per Diem is intended for- it's to compensate a person for maintaining two or more residences due to their work.
As stated earlier, she owns three houses. One of them is close to her satellite office in Anchorage. So what- this is what Per Diem exists for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_diem
"They can continue to pay the per diem as long as you're working for them and maintaining two residences. However, if you do something like rent your house out while you're gone, you're no longer maintaining two residences, and no longer eligible for per diem."

Numerous freight companies, such as Werner Enterprises pay drivers Per Diem despite the driver not maintaining an additional residence. While drivers may live in their trucks while OTR (over-the-road) doing so incurs no additional expenses for the driver.

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
Jillian 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

I'm actually still a little surprised that Palin is getting this much attention from those who oppose the Republican ticket.

One would think she's running for President...not McCain.

Just an observance...not an attack.

Jillian

--------------------

"Disappointments are inevitable. Discouragement is a choice."
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Emmet 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 05:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

This is exactly what Per Diem is intended for...

laugh.gif

It's to compensate an employee for living expenses while away from home. How many mansions or summer houses you own is completely irrelevant. If your innovative interpretation of the term is correct, Monday morning present your boss with a per diem claim for all of those nights that you drove home from work, cooked dinner in your kitchen, and slept in your bed; say...$17,000 last year (sounds fair, doesn't it?). Be sure to let us all know how that works out for you.

Most employers (and all courts) consider "padding"; filing false expense reports, fraud ("intentional deception to cause a person to give up property or some lawful right"). In Alaska, defrauding your employer of $17,000 constitutes grand larceny; a felony punishable by up to 10 years.
Emmet 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Reminiscent of Klan rallies?

Yes; when angry mobs scream "NIG*ER!" and "KILL HIM!" at every mention of his name, that is precisely what comes to mind.

Emmet 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 06:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

I'm actually still a little surprised that Palin is getting this much attention from those who oppose the Republican ticket.

One would think she's running for President...not McCain.

There are three reasons which come to mind (which actually apply equally well to many Republicans, too):

1. Despite what Sarah Palin thinks ("they’re (the Vice President) in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better..."), the Vice President of the United States has only two de jure duties; pursuant to Article 1 of the US Constitution; "The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no vote, unless they be equally divided." They preside over the Senate, but only ceremonially; they have no vote unless there is a tie, which hardly ever happens; and pursuant to Section 1 of the 25th Amendment, "In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President." They are quite literally a heartbeat away from the Presidency (unless you're Bush & Cheney, where the situation is curiously reversed).
John McCain is 71 years old, and even if he was 17, eight Presidents have died in office, including four who were assassinated. It is not at all inconceivable that if John McCain is elected, Sarah Palin could become President of the United States. Considering some of her more idiosyncratic ideas and utterances, the scrutiny (and skepticism) is entirely understandable.

2. The selection of a running mate speaks volumes about the principal candidate. The selection of Joe Biden for a running mate, with his thirty-six years of experience, including the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Foreign Relations Committee, with his reputation for bipartisanship and the respect of both sides of the aisle, makes perfect sense. Sarah Palin, not so much. Selecting one of such abject inexperience, questionable ethics (doesn't anyone vet these people beforehand?) and quite frankly cockamamie ideology (including support for Alaskan secession) suggests at the very least highly questionable judgment on his part.

3. Palin wasn't randomly picked out of a hat; she was chosen specifically for a reason, which obviously had nothing to do with her fitness for office. The only rational explanation is her ability to appeal to the stupidest and most ignorant segment of the Republican Party. While they'd rather die under torture than vote for a Democrat (much less a Negro), there was the fear among the GOP that they wouldn't vote at all; John McCain to his credit has a history of bipartisan cooperation and (relative) moderation in the Senate (at least, before he started running for President); not exactly selling points for the neo-Fascists, American Taliban, and Flat Earth Society that make up the lowest common denominator of the Republican Party, which are clearly Palin's main constituency. To be so manipulative and calculating as to risk inflicting someone like Palin on the country and the world based solely upon their ability to mobilize such a small narrow segment of the electorate suggests a contempt for the intelligence of the American voter, and the democratic process itself, that is truly breathtaking.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt