Swanny 
Posted: 28-Feb-2007, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted, but life around the Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs kennel can be summed up in two letters - BZ.

Last week started with a full day of filming for an upcoming Weather Channel documentary on the Nome Serum Run of 1925. My "old school" team of big dogs did very nicely considering we were asking them to do things they have NEVER before done in their lives. Everyone was generally well behaved and we even got some really cute footage of Sheenjek being fed beans off the tip of a spoon. I guarantee you he wasn't fed very many beans, but I'm pretty sure that cute "boy and his dog" footage will show up in the finished product.

My friend Janece arrived from Outside on Friday, and Sunday we went mushing with Lynn Orbison and her roughneck sprint dogs. Lynn, being rather sly and having a wicked sense of humor, put Janece on an ultra-light race sled behind her 6 dog limited class team and took her for a RIDE. Meanwhile I grabbed some of Lynn's slower (mostly foster) dogs with my kids and did a good, long 8 mile run, and they did GREAT, even keeping up with the two faster sprint teams for a good part of the trip.

Unfortunately, my single leader Daisy apparently banged a foot in the yard sometime Sunday night. She was just fine when we got home from Lynn's, but Monday morning had a wicked limp in her right rear, and big sore spot and bruise on top of her foot. She's been getting twice daily massages with Algyval (a really good anti-inflammatory liniment) and she seems to be doing just fine now. If it weren't so bitter cold I'd consider taking them out today, but at almost 40 below, I think we'll all be more comfortable staying close to the hearth instead.

Yesterday was errand day in town, and among the errands was a stop by the animal control shelter to look at a dog. The dog I was interested in is currently in a foster home and her caretaker tells me she is much smaller than I need for my team.

Since all of the possible local candidates have been ruled out (freight dogs are not as common in Alaska as they once were), it is looking like I'll be adopting an eight month old Hedlund husky pup that is currently in Dillingham. If things work out as planned at the moment, I'll be adopting the female (Belle), another freight dog driver in Knik is interested in Belle's brother Julius, and the third pup being outplaced from this litter will probably be co-fostered by Lynn Orbison and I until we can find a suitable placement.

I'm off to Anchorage on Friday for the Iditarod start, so probably won't be posting for the next few days, but with so much going on around here I wanted to be sure to let you guys know what's been happening around here.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 28-Feb-2007, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Good news all around Swanny! Have fun in Anchorage.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2013 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 07-Mar-2007, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

It's funny how circumstances can change so quickly. It turns out that I won't be adopting a Hedlund husky pup from Dillingham after all. Instead, I'll be adopting two of them, and another freight musher who lives near me will adopt the third. I have a friend who works for a small airline that serves Dillingham, so I'll be able to get them shipped for a very reasonable cost.

I'm looking forward to bringing two new adolescent pups into the yard. I love that "yahoo" attitude that is a part of young dogs. They are usually curious about everything and willing to try anything at least once. thumbs_up.gif

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt