Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Holiday Season Upon Us, Can we celebrate as we want?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Oct-2006, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Sorry all, but I just had to vent! I have been reading so much stuff lately that I am greatly upset.

People badmouthing each other's religious beliefs. I am getting pretty annoyed by this. I don't go around bad mouthing other religions, but as the holidays come, it is expected of me now not to play Christian music or Christian Christmas carols or put anything outside my home Christian-like for fear it may "offend" someone who may not be a Christian! Give me a freakin break, people! I don't have anything negative to say about other religions doing what they want to do for their holidays or during ours. If they want to put a 9 foot statue of Mohammed or whatever, including Budda, pagan or whatever outside of their home during the holidays, it is their business and none of mine! But as a Christian, I am expected not to do anything that relates to Christmas anymore cause because it is seen as offensive! We all have our beliefs and most will not agree, but what happened to the so-called tolerance and love for each other? What about offending me as a Christian? No one seems to care about that at all! Maybe it is me, but all appears to be about getting rid of any Christian Christmas celebration anymore!

Sorry, had to get on my soap box as I am pretty offended myself right now. Sigh!

Happy Holidays to come, whoever you are!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 17-Oct-2006, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Tell us how you really feel, CR! Quit holding back wink.gif !

Just kidding, of course. It can be frustrating, but I don't get too concerned about ti. I'm going to say "Merry Christmas" all through the holidays and not lose a minutes sleep over whether or not someone is offended. I think most people don't play the "PC" game on this. If someone choses to celebrate another way, no complaints from me. I'm secure in my beliefs and intend to enjoy the season.

By the way, CR, are you going to the Dervish concert in Flagstaff this November? I'm planning on taking my girls. I hear they are good!

Have a great day and an early Merry Christmas!!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
Aaediwen 
Posted: 17-Oct-2006, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Around the holidays, it should be expected to find nativity scenes, and other Christian articles all over the place. Setting everything else asside, it is a Christian holiday. Just because your neighbor displays something, doesn't mean you believe in it or don't believe in it. It's them expressing their views. To those who have a problem with it, they can deal with their own issues.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Antwn 
Posted: 18-Oct-2006, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

I'd say decorate away CelticRose. I'm not a Christian and I don't mind a bit, but I hear you, I know what's being said and wouldn't be surprised if there's a big hooha about nativity scenes at the shopping malls in December.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 18-Oct-2006, 09:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

I understand where you are coming from CR and I think that many people forget the true meaning. Not only that, but when most of the people in our country celebrate x-mas in their own way, we should be able to display our feelings on the matter without feeling we will offend someone.

This reminds me of what happened not to long ago at my sons school. He brought home quotes from the bible that his teacher passed out. This is a public school. I was a little upset at first, I mean, they can't say GOD in the pledge but his teacher can pass out quotes from the bible and that is ok? It is contridicting. So, in a way, for you, your situation is the same, contridicting. because even though it is a christian holiday, you display those beliefs.

As for badmouthing religions, that is something I would never do. I like to learn about them all. Some overlap,but some are so unique, it is interesting.

Anyway, I hope that things go well, IMO, I would just do it , display it all and take the risk

PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Oct-2006, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey all! Thanks for letting me rant the other day! laugh.gif laugh.gif I felt much better after doing so! wink.gif

I will celebrate as I like and continue to say Merry Christmas like I always do cause for me personally it is a Christian holiday. If someone says to me "Happy Holidays" I can say same to you and respect their beliefs. But I am not going to get my toes curled up over the fact that I MUST NO LONGER say Merry Christmas anymore just to be so-called PC correct. Thanks for your feedback and appreciate your kind words and understanding of where I was coming from.

Anyway, Haynes. I am not aware of this concert in Flag. I will have to ask my friends who live up there if they are going though. I have several things going on in November, one of them a Highland game to attend the first Saturday of November in Tucson and the second weekend, I am participating in a three day American Heritage event (my group will be doing the American Revolution). When is the concert in Flag?

haynes9 
Posted: 20-Oct-2006, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 20-Oct-2006, 03:38 PM)
Anyway, Haynes. I am not aware of this concert in Flag. I will have to ask my friends who live up there if they are going though. I have several things going on in November, one of them a Highland game to attend the first Saturday of November in Tucson and the second weekend, I am participating in a three day American Heritage event (my group will be doing the American Revolution). When is the concert in Flag?

It is on Thursday, November 9th, at the Cline Library auditorium on the NAU campus. The boys with Lunasa tell me Dervish puts on a great show. Looking forward to hearing them!
aklassie 
Posted: 23-Oct-2006, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

I use to work as a cashier when I lived in Alaska. Years ago a friend gave me a button that says "Jesus is the reason for the season" I wore it all through the holidays. Had allot of people who loved it. I had to put up with nonchristen Christmas music too. But I still said "Merry Christmas" to everyone. I think if the people I worked for told me I couldn't wear the button, I would of done it anyway.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
Meryat 
Posted: 28-Oct-2006, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Somewhere near a computer

I can understand having displays on public or government-owned land having to either include all holidays being celebrated or none. Private property, though, is private property. If someone wants to express their beliefs and their joy in the season, there shouldn't be anything holding them back from doing so.

The same I think should hold true for holiday greetings. People acting just as themselves, as private citizens ... it's their faith, their beliefs, and their right to wish others well however they wish. It starts to get tricky when you start considering people acting as representatives of companies and other entities. I'm not really sure where I stand.

I don't happen to be Christian, but it doesn't offend me when someone tells me "Merry Christmas" -- I take it in the spirit it's meant and will usually wish them one back, even though I'll generally use "Happy holidays" if I'm the first to give such a greeting. In my opinion, holiday greetings should be inclusive of the beliefs of the wisher or the receiver or both. The only time it wouldn't really make sense for a holiday greeting to be exchanged would be if neither person celebrated the holiday in question. I see such greetings as being equally able to be wishing someone else a good day because it's one's own holiday as because it's their holiday.

There's a difference between wanting tolerance and equality for one's own beliefs and becoming intolerant in the treatment of another's beliefs.
PMEmail Poster               
marti64 
Posted: 29-Oct-2006, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Worcester, Massachusetts

female

People are not tolerant fo anyone else's beliefs anymore!!

If someone says Merry Xmas to me, I wish them the same. Agreeing with aklassie, i, too sued to work in a store, and we wer told that we could not say Merry xmas, we had to say happy Holidays!!
I still wore my"jesus is the reason for the season" button, even though we were not supposed to!!!
No one made em take it off!!!!!
Marti

--------------------
]AN EXCERPT FROM A POEM THAT I WROTE ON 10/11/07

WE CAN'T CHANGE WHAT WE HAVE DONE....
BUT ONLY TAKE A LESSON FROM EACH EXPERIENCE
AND MAKE THE MOST OF EACH MINUTE THAT WE HAVE LEFT
AND TELL OURELVES THAT IT IS OK TO LIVE, LAUGH AND CRY.....
PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE ALL WORK TOGETHER
TO GIVE US WHAT WE CAN AND SHOULD EXPERIENCE
AND WE NEED TO CHERISH ALL OF THE TIME
THAT WE SPEND WITH OURSELVES AND OTHERS MAKING THE MOST OF THE SPECIAL MEMORIES THAT ARE OURS..
AND THE ONES THAT WE HAVE YET TO CREATE WITH THE PEOPLE THAT WE HAVEN'T MET!!!!![/SIZE]
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
marti64 
Posted: 29-Oct-2006, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Worcester, Massachusetts

female

People are not tolerant fo anyone else's beliefs anymore!!

If someone says Merry Xmas to me, I wish them the same. Agreeing with aklassie, I, too used to work in a store, and we were told that we could not say Merry Xmas, we had to say Happy Holidays!!
I still wore my"jesus is the reason for the season" button, even though we were not supposed to!!!
No one made me take it off!!!!!
Marti
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 31-Oct-2006, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

It's a problem of lack of tolerance, I agree with all above!

I feel respect for other beliefs; there is a quote by Chief Tecumseh of the Shawnee Tribe who said,
"Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours."

This is a motto I'm living along in life.
So if anyone is wishing me a "merry Christmas" I answer "And same to you"; if someone wishes me "Happy Holidays" I answer it the same way.

So you go and decorate, celebrate and say your wishes in YOUR way, Rose; everyone with a bit of tolerance and a bit of a levelled head will understand. And as for the rest ... well, you can't have them all, eh?

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
Elly 
Posted: 02-Nov-2006, 03:27 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

MERRY CHRISTMAS, I think we all want to have respect for everones beliefs, sadly that is not the way it is, as a Scot living in Australia, the past few years I read in the papers of East meets West, rapings of western girls by eastern or middle eastern men, so quite honestly I don't see it as CHRISTIAN against eastern belefs, I don't even see it as religous at all, TOLERANCE is great as long as its a TWO way Street, and I don't see any sign of that happening anytime soon unfortunately.

So MERRY XMAS everyone, and thank you Rosemary for having the courage to bring this subject up.
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 06-Nov-2006, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

MERRY CHRISTMAS!MERRY CHRISTMAS!MERRY CHRISTMAS!MERRY CHRISTMAS!

If you don't don't like it hold your ears.

My Gods grace and blessings be upon everyone this Christmas Season.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
haynes9 
Posted: 06-Nov-2006, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Now, how many of you want a Christmas list from me? Or would you just prefer to send gift cards? I'm not hard to please tongue.gif !
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]