Posted: 17-Sep-2004, 05:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

ok, I no longer remember when I purchased my first whistle with the intent of learning how to play it on my own. I never aim to be good enough to be here. Just Chiff & Fipple's definition of a good musician.

I quickly became disenchanted with the book I purchased at the same time as the whistle. It helped me learn basic fingering, and has some good tunes in the back I may return to. But I was eagar and wanted to learn to play a tune I was already familiar with; a tune I already enjoied, and preferably one I could hear here on CelticRadio. I decided on "Amazing Grace". I'd once been able to play it on recorder in middle school, I enjoied playing it more than any other even though I didn't really understand what it was at the time. I figured it might be a good one to work with. I've been nearly a year off and on working with it when I had time. Getting ever closer, based on a piece of sheet I found online. (OK, it hasn't been a year yet, only a few months. the printout is dated 07/06/04. My lord, has it really only been that recent??? Seems like I've been working on it at least close to a year.)

I finally succeeded in playing through it. Not well, mind you, and I messed up a couple of notes. But I've played it once! Now just to get better with it, and see if I can get it sounding like it really should. Think that'll be for another day though.

additional note: I can at least reproduce current progress without a ton of effort too, a plus. one spot still giving me problems.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 17-Sep-2004, 05:42 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Congratulations Aaediwen, Determination is what it takes and it sounds like to me your determined. Keep it up cause, "Practice makes perfect!" smile.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 17-Sep-2004, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

Congrats Aaediwen, one trick is to have the whistle always by your side, esp. when listening to Highlander Radio, when you hear a tune you like (and it's in your key) then you can play along with it.

works for me!

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Madadh 
Posted: 17-Sep-2004, 06:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

Aaediwen,

The first tin whistle I bought was while I was on vacation with my then young family. We saw the whistle and I thought it might be fun. When we got back to the cottage we were renting, I tried my hand at it for a while. All the time I was trying to get the scales on it my your daughter (who now is in the Marines) kept trying to get her hands on it.

Well I finally (after about 20 minutes) was able to up and down the scale and felt very proud of my accomplishment. I then made the fateful mistake of letting my daughter (then 10 or 11) have a hand. She blew a few soft notes into the whistle, sighed and smiled, and then started to play Amazing Grace as though she had playing the instrament for years.

Well what could I do...I just said "Gimme that", snached up the offending instrament and went to the corner to sulk sad.gif . She has since gone on to play several instraments and is now learning to play the pipes. Me on the other hand, I can carry a tune on any CD player walkman.gif

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
urian 
Posted: 17-Sep-2004, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

Gratz, my friend!

thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]