WizardofOwls 
Posted: 17-Mar-2005, 07:46 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Sorry for going off-topic here, Haldur, but I jsut wanted to extend a welcome to MidnightPeapod! So glad to have you here with us! Stick around for a while and help us to get to know you better, okay? And welcome to the family! smile.gif

Now back to your regularly scheduled program... wink.gif

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Haldur 
Posted: 21-Mar-2005, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Thank you for the information there MidnightPeapod, its much appreciated! smile.gif It is indeed very fascinating the connection between the Appalachians and the Isles! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I've been delving even deeper into Appalachian music. Been researching some things out of the movie Songcatcher now that I own it!

Oh and by the way, I'd love to travel back in time, myself...just haven't got around to building my time machine yet! wink.gif

Many blessings and good tidings upon ye all!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

TNTales' intro thread got me rambling on the subject of this thread again.

The connection between Appilacian music and Taditional Celtic music, is deeper than just having the roots. Many of the songs that are thought of as Appalacian are, in fact, old Celtic songs that have been at best thinly veiled, if at all. "Barbara Allen", "Two Sisters", and several other songs came across the pond, and have remained largely unchanged. A few months ago, I encountered "The Bluebird Song" for the first time, on a CD of Appalacian music from Jennifer Rose. When I went to Ireland, on the second day, the bus driver started telling the exact same story, except that he was talking about all the magpies that were all over the place. He started telling the story, and if I had better memorised the song to think of it sooner I might have completed it for him. He said it was extremely common to find that song anywhere in Ireland. Something everyone would likely be familiar with.

It is interesting the connections you'll find. If you know what to look for, you can still hear Celtic roots in contemporary country. Other styles have Celtic roots as well, but Country has what I believe the purist and strongest surviving Celtic vibe of any current, commercial genre. The line being something like as follows:

Traditional Celtic --> Appalacian Mountain/folk Music --> Bluegrass --> Honky Tonk --> Contemporary Country

And then, of course, modern Celtic artists are listening to and influenced by the Country and Pop Rock that has come from those old traditional styles, and that influences how they play the old tunes... The cycle completes itself, to begin anew.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Haldur 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I completely agree, Aaediwen! A lot of country music goes back to that, whether instrumentally or vocally. Me wishes I still had my mandolin, you could create some spine-tingling music with it and it wasn't a heavy, bulky instrument. Kind of like your whistles!! smile.gif

I'd love to tap into the unbound resources here in Kentucky. Just can't seem to find the time (or the money, for that matter) to get those sort of things done. However, I did recently pay a visit to Berea, KY and discovered a wealth of sights dedicated to Kentucky folk music, art, and much much more related to Kentucky and the Appalachian regions in general. It was a very insightful journey as my wife and I looked upon literature/books, crafts, artwork, and music albums by Kentucky musicians.

I loved my trip to Berea, KY and will definitely make another visit soon!
Aaediwen 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Haldur @ 13-May-2005, 01:34 PM)

I loved my trip to Berea, KY and will definitely make another visit soon!

Let me know when, man. I'll tag along with ya if a certain place of evil and chains will let us escape at the same time wink.gif
Haldur 
Posted: 11-Jul-2005, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Just thought I'd bring this thread out of hiding just in case anybody else happened to have any comments, suggestions, or information regarding the thread topic. Why, you might be asking?

I'm lazy and haven't really been researching anything. I am planning on getting some equipment together to possibly do a documentary on Appalachian music, seeing as there's plenty of resources in the area.

Fun fun!
OBH 
Posted: 11-Jul-2005, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Abbeville, LA

male

Here's a site for you:
Bluegrass Preservation Society

The founder, Ewell Ferguson, does a radio show from Gassaway, W. Virginia that is also available as podcasts. The whole show is made up of music he records at local shows with mostly local bands. I've become a big fan because it's raw, no studio wizardry here, and the music is wonderful. The bands range from kids to old timers but the quality is remarkably good and the hour goes by really fast. He has a long list of songs on his download page that can be downloaded for like $1 each so you might take a look to see if any of it interests you. I was glad to see young bands playing that wonderful old music, that's the only way it'll survive.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 12-Jul-2005, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I hope this is the right place to put this.

Here is an extraordinary site devoted to the single ballead "Tam Lin," put up by a woman who has researched and collected all sorts of versions, including some new world variants.

http://www.tam-lin.org/

PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 12-Jul-2005, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Thank you both for these wonderful links...much more work than I've done here lately! smile.gif "Tam Lin" is a beautiful song, have heard it several times here on HR (Melbourne Scottish Fiddle Club's version) and always love to crank the song when it comes on.

Thank you both for your posts!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]