Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,911 Gold!

In case you did not know it, CelticRadio.net is a PHP website! What does that mean? It means that we use one of the premier open source scripting languages that is available today.

Here is a little article I found over at the DevShed which convinces me that PHP was the way to go:

PHP is now running over a million web sites and with good reason. PHP is open source, it runs equally well on NT and UNIX, it's well documented. PHP is no doubt stealing market share from Microsoft's Active Server Pages, but the media has been unusually quiet about the issue. Even as Apache's success has become front page news, PHP has gone largely unnoticed. Maybe Microsoft wants to keep it that way.

Microsoft is very public with it's worries about Linux and Apache, but it has yet to say a word about PHP. This is somewhat surprising given the capabilities and market share of PHP. With it's ability to run on NT and UNIX, PHP makes it easy to build complex web sites which can run on either platform. This would be quite a boon to IS geeks encouraging a move away from NT. In the past, porting the CGI code or converting ASP to Perl made a change of server OS a painful proposition. With PHP, the move is painless for everyone except MS. In fact, there are now free tools to convert ASP to PHP. This has to raise Microsoft's ire.

Of course, the OS independence isn't really what's driving PHP development. Developers much prefer PHP over ASP for it's simple and elegant syntax, object support, and excellent documentation. Working with ASP is a nightmare. MS wants money to answer the most basic of questions. Furthermore, in true MS style, ASP omits support for features which may intrude on the turf of other MS products.

With MS starting to launch major FUD campaigns against Linux and *BSD, I suspect it will only be a matter of time before MS addresses PHP as a serious threat. It will be interesting to see how MS chooses to attack PHP as it has so few weaknesses. MS can't buy PHP nor can it easily "embrace and extend" PHP because it already has a competing product in ASP. FUD is the only weapon left and that's not going to terribly effective with knowledgeable developers. Who knows, the empire may fall without the need for government intervention.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Madadh 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

Long live open source... smilie_tux.gif

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Someone care to help update me on the numbers? Last I heard, Apache ran ~60% of the Inet, with IIS and everyone else fighting over the other 40%. That's got to mean something. And then there's the propriety of Microsoft's languages like ASP and that bastardized abomination called C# .

I must admit, that Visual Basic has worked great for me when I needed quick development, and if I spent more time in Windows, then I'd use it in a heartbeat for prototyping or quick and dirty work. But it's crap at runtime. My <1MB program had a 12 MB distrbution file, for crying out loud! (VB 6 ~ y2k). I still don't see why a nice, feature-ladin program can't fit on a 720K floppy... My mpg321 interface could probably be untarred, built, and run off of a 130 KB floppy disk.

Actually, lemmie check that...

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

ok, it would take a 360 KB floppy (although might want something the next size up)

lunatic@lugh: ~/mp3/package/mp3#ls
BUGS advance.h id3edit.c pause.c playlist.h shared.c
CHANGELOG config.c id3edit.h pause.h recursion.c shared.h
DISPLAY cue.c mp3 play.c repeat.c shuffle.c
Makefile cue.h mp3.c play.h repeat.h shuffle.h
README header.c mp3.cfg playlist.c rew.c stop.c
advance.c header.h mp3.h playlist.c.new rew.h stop.h
lunatic@lugh: ~/mp3/package/mp3#ls -lh mp3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 lunatic 100 93k May 12 09:25 mp3 <--- complete binary
lunatic@lugh: ~/mp3/package/mp3#du -h
332k . <----- uncompressed source code and binary
lunatic@lugh: ~/mp3/package/mp3#ls -lh ../mp3-20040512-src.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 lunatic 100 31k May 12 09:24 mp3-20040512-src.tar.gz <--- package
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]