coastman 
Posted: 17-Sep-2009, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Coastal Georgia

male

Hey! When I was diagnosis with Tye 2 Diabetes my first reading was 348. I told my doctor that I would not take any new "high power" medicine the drug companies were pushing. He wanted me to take Avandia and I told him no. Guess what? Avandia was taken off of the market because it was killing people. I now take Metformin and it has been a challenge for my digestive tract to accomodate this medicine. Metformin has been around 50 years and is a safe drug. I still drink the house wine of the South. I drink unsweet tea with lemon. I do watch what I eat each day and I do trade out vegetables with other vegetables. I still get hungry during the night. So I eat some peanut butter on whole wheat bread to take me to breakfast. Cornbread? I love it so I have to trade it out so I can keep my after meal blood sugar readings around 180. I love the jello sugar free pudding for snacks to carry me to supper. I eat Bryers 4 grams of carbohydrate ice cream. My cholestreol is less than 200. My blood pressure is normal. My A1C goes between 6 to 6.5. I have my blood work done every 6 months to monitor my A1C. Do I "bust" 180? Yes, at dinner on the ground at church sunday I was hijacked by the dessert table. The secret is keeping your blood sugar on a even keel. I use the Ultra one touch and I prick myself 6 times a day to see how I am doing. Ultra one has a computer program that I can download my meter and I use this as a tool to show my doctor my readings. This helps me choose foods that don't elevate my blood sugar. As you learn what foods elevate your blood sugar you can just prick yourself a couple of times a day. You will "fall off the wagon"on occasion. Don't worry about it. Any time you need encouragement email me. Hope this helps.
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 09-Nov-2009, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 19-Jun-2008, 10:01 PM)
maisky how are you doing? I found out that the quarterback of my favorite football team has type 1 diabetes. "better late than never lol" Any type of this disease is so very dangerous.

Patch- thanks for all of this interesting information..hope you doing well.

I was doing some reading on the subject and this helped me to figure out the difference between the two of them. Let us know how your doing.

Type II diabetes, often brought on by poor nutrition or obesity and involves a breakdown in the body's ability to process the insulin it makes. For that reason, improved diet and exercise can often improve the condition and lead to the reduction or elimination of the need for insulin injections.

Type I is an autoimmune disease in which the body attacks itself and destroys its insulin-making cells. There is no behavior that "causes" it; doctors believe it is a genetic condition often triggered by an environmental stress, such as a virus. It is more typically diagnosed in childhood but in recent years it has become increasingly common for people age 25 or older to become symptomatic. Those who suffer from Type I are completely insulin dependent, and there is nothing that can be done to change that fact.

Slainte

Great Info Rindy!

I was diagnosed type 1 in 1973 and just FYI, they change their mind about some of these things every few years it seems, for example the cause for type 1 or Type 2 or modify statements

like for example, Type 2 diabetes perhaps is understood better today as being a result of insulin resistance (which can and does happen to people who eat healthy diets and are not obese)

That is not to say that those 2 factors are not contributors, but Type 2 is not being totally blamed on those factors due to the increase in people who do not have them.

Obesity and poor nutrition can also cause insulin resistence in type 1 diabetics as well.

You will find that regular activity or mild exercise can play a great part in increasing insulin sensitivity. Also intake of dark green vegetables (because of their magnesium content) can play a part as well

The current thought on Type 1 diabetes is that a virus is involved that gives serious flu like symptoms as much as 2 years before the Beta Cells in the pancreas actually loose the war and quit making insulin

Also, I am not trying to be a know it all but I have simply been dealing with this a long time and I know one thing that you can count on is for the information to be modified...... and this is a good thing..... in most cases smile.gif tongue.gif

So,,,, I hope that whatever I just wrote is helpful to someone (grin)

Slainte

Michael

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 10-Nov-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hiya Michael it's good to see you. I am glad your doing well and thank you for this information. As the years progress may be one day they will come up with a cure. I hope you will continue to add your knowledge to this thread. Thank you again.
Keep healthy and happy.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]