Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Time And Growing Older, Is it just me or.....
togo 
Posted: 15-Dec-2009, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Massachusetts

male

If someone asked me one of the biggest differences in growing older I would tell them that time seems to move faster. It really flies.
I feel like we just celebrated Halloween a week ago. I feel like summer was fairly recent.
And summers seem to come and go so quickly. So do all the seasons. I remember as a kid that summers seemed to last forever. And you actually started to get bored by the end of it.
School years dragged on by.
Now the years seems to gain speed.
Milestones, birthdays, seasons, and holidays come and go very quickly.
I can't believe Christmas is right around the corner.

Is it just me or do others share these same thoughts?
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 16-Dec-2009, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

That is the way it goes. My mom used to tell me that the older you get the faster it goes. I thought she didn't know what she was talking about. Boy was she right.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 16-Dec-2009, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,191 Gold!

Look at it this way, when you were six years old, what percentage of your life was three months. What percentage is it now. When you were five, a year was 20% of your whole life. No wonder it was so long. When your fifty, a year is only 2% of your life, hardly any time at all.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
togo 
Posted: 16-Dec-2009, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (TheCarolinaScotsman @ 16-Dec-2009, 02:12 PM)
Look at it this way, when you were six years old, what percentage of your life was three months.  What percentage is it now.  When you were five, a year was 20% of your whole life.  No wonder it was so long.  When your fifty, a year is only 2% of your life, hardly any time at all.

This makes sense to me!

Ok any suggestions to try to slow it down?? Can it be slowed down? Life seems so much busier now and certainly more complexed. This must add to it.
My biggest dilemma years ago was how to fix the arm on my G.I. Joe guy or trying to get the dirt unstuck from my Hot Wheel tires.

I need to kick back more. Yoga??
Any other suggestions??
flora 
Posted: 16-Dec-2009, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Yes, it seemed like not too long ago I was in my 20's. My son will be 30 next February!!!!!

Find something you are passionate about and allow yourself to get lost in it for a reasonable (I know, define reasonable) time. I don't know if you have children/grandchildren in your life but they add such joy (well, most of the time). biggrin.gif

And each day you need to enjoy a good laugh or make sure someone does.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
wdorholt 
Posted: 16-Dec-2009, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Perham, Minnesota

male

Well said Flora.

I think if you concentrate on living in the moment, doing only one thing at a time, and participating in that one thing to its fullest, time will seem more balanced. You won't be putting so much emphasis on past and future, so it will have the effect of lengthening the present.

And, just so you know, I haven't figured out how to do that very well! It takes practice.

--------------------
Is beannaithe iad a shantaíonn an ceartas
(Blessed are those who desire justice)
PMEmail Poster               
togo 
Posted: 17-Dec-2009, 05:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Great advice. Definitely living for the moment and enjoy a good laugh or make sure someone does.

Ok the second biggest difference in growing older I'm starting to see the beginnings of forgeting things, misplacing things, and generally not as sharp as I used to be!! Boy I used to come up with a quip or smart arse line so quick. My quick draw has slowed down.

One of my firends told me that it's probably because my brain is so full now that when I add anything new I have to throw something else out. I'll go with that.
wdorholt 
Posted: 18-Dec-2009, 03:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Togo,

That's kind of it. Sounds good anyway. It is more like the short term memory file drawers are stuck from long term use and won't open anymore when you need them. So you can only pull up info from longer ago in the past. I seem to remember who sat by me in 1st grade faster than I can my kids names!
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 18-Dec-2009, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

wdorholt;

Time and Growing Old go hand in hand along with new pains, wrinkles, memory lapses, falling arches, and falling hair. To tell the truth I am not enarmoured by the remourseless tick of the clock. Then I think, "David you old sod you have had a great life. You have been places and done things many have not. You have loved and been loved, the powers that be gave you two beautiful Daughters that brought joy and meaning to your life. You have found great friends and lost some, met people from practically every walk of life, laughted, cried, danced with joy,
and shook with fear. You have witnessed Nature at its best and at it's worst and through it all have survived to remember. It is strange that now on the downhill run for Home memories of my childhood and my Mother crowd my waking moments. Perhaps I will see her soon in the not to distant future and she will sing to me again.

Camac.

wdorholt 
Posted: 19-Dec-2009, 03:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Camac,

Hey, that was beautiful! Thank you!
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 19-Dec-2009, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

To-day is the annual Xmas gathering of the Clan at my cousin's house in Georgetown (Ontario) 50 of my 1st, 2nd, & 3rd, Cousins will be there along with my Aunt Kathleen (87) the last of the Lee girls and who is now the Matriarch of the Family. It is a strange feeling to know that next to Kathy I am the oldest at 67. I guess that makes me the Patriarch. All my 1st cousins who will be there are in their 50's and have Grandkids. I unfortunately don't. My oldest, Paula (39) is desperate to start a Family and my youngest, Shannon (34), well in her words "If I want a kid Dad, I'll buy one". . Anyway back to the gathering or should I say the bash. There will be lots of food and booze (I don't drink) and I will be introduced to the newest members and reintroduced to those who I haven't got a clue are. In our family the women out number us men about 3 to 1 so it will be a bit of a Hen Party with them all catching up on the latest. I will find a corner and sit there drinking my Pepsi and watch the goings on. Lots of snaps will be taken and it has been requested that I wear my Legion Uniform complete with Medals. I'm going to look like a blody idiot. There will be 3 veterans there, Kathy who was a WREN in the Royal Navy during WW11, my 2nd cousin Michael who served aboard a Canadian Frigate during the Gulf War, and of course the odd man out me who served in the US Army in Viet Nam. Believe it or not there are some members of my Family who consider me a Mercenary and don't understand why I did it. I don't explain for they will never comprehend the need for me to experience combat and understand it. Aside for a couple of Cousins, who should have been drowned at birth, it is going to be great meeting them all and I think I will have a good time.

Camac.

wdorholt 
Posted: 20-Dec-2009, 02:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Camac,

I hope your family gathering went well. You are lucky to have such an opportunity I think. My family was spread to the wind in my youth as a result of my parents divorce, so I am inclined to envy your situation! My family was quite matriarchal as well so I found this quote from your beloved land that my mother would paraphrase on occasion:

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton, Canada Month, June 1963

It seems odd that you would be the eldest male in the clan at 67. Now I have to worry about you! Take care of yourself!
PMEmail Poster               
togo 
Posted: 20-Dec-2009, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Camac update!! Sounds fascinating!
And congratulations on your Patriarchism. king.gif

I find family history, roots, the family trees so interesting.

Just 2 weeks ago my uncle, Dick Hall, told me that one of my relatives recently wrote a book about the Hall family reunions. (one of our family branches) If I sent an email to my distant relative Ross Hall he would send me a copy of the book. Email sent, book arrives 3 days later.

"The 100 Years of Hall Reunions"
Our Celtic bloodlines go through Hatevil Hall marrying Sarah Furbish whose grandfather was William Furbish born in Aberdeen, Scotland. He was captured at the Battle of Dunbar by Cromwell's British army and shipped as a British prisoner to Boston and then to Maine as an in indentured servant.

I remembered going to a few of these reunions when I was around 9, 10. They are held up in Maine every year.
I am taking my family to the reunion next year!
Camac
Posted: 20-Dec-2009, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Well I have returned from my 40km (25 mile) trek into the wilds of Georgetown and survived the annual Xmas gathering. I was right in that I didn't know 75% of who was there there were so many kids I thought I was in a Nursery school. We keep breeding at this rate we are going to have to demand our own Province.

There is one surving male member of the Family who is older than me, my Uncle Harry. He is 80 but the Gods have not been kind to him as he has advanced Altzheimers and is in a Home in Victoria B.C. run by the D.V.A. and the Legion. He is healthy and happy but recognizes no one. All the other older males have crossed over. I now at 67 have the dubious honour of being Patriarch. To relate what a great honour this is I mentioned to my cousin Geraldine (54) that may be I should be shown a little respect due to my position. Her answer was "B---er Off" that is a direct quote. I'm telling you truthfully "I don'ts get no respects".

My Aunt Kathy was there and as it has been about a year since I last saw her I was shocked. Her hair has turned snow white and she looked so frail but the twinkle is still in her eye and the whole family adores her. When she gets going and tells stories of her and her sisters growing up in Troon she will have you wetting your shorts from laughter. The more she gets into the stories the thicker the brouge gets. I well remember the times when I was younger when we would have a get to-gether and Kathy, my Mom, and the other 3 sisters would get talking no one could understand them the Scottish Brouge was so thick.

All in all it was a good re-union and I caught up on what is going on in the Family,
alas this will more than likely be the last get to-gether for some time. Like all Families we go our seperate ways and live our seperate lives and chances are we will only meet at weddings or Funerals. That is if we can rent a hall big enough to hold everyone. Man we are coming out of the woodwork.

wdorholt; No need to worry as I have made a deal. If I can't come back as a Canadian and live here I'm not leaving.

Camac.

PS. I almost forgot. We have all been invited to a gay wedding. My cousin Sherry and her partner are getting hitched next year. That should be interesting.

coastman 
Posted: 30-Dec-2009, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Coastal Georgia

male

Read King David's Psalm 128. It will give you a true perspective on growing older.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]