Sekhmet 
Posted: 22-Jan-2005, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Beyond specific sites for pretty specific things, such as a given surname, the "pay sites" are your best bet for snagging information in one spot. Unfortunately. The LDS has a decent amount of information if you already know what you're looking for.

Thus far, the *best* free genealogy site is Rootsweb.com, and the email lists thereon. Just about every given surname has a list with researchers, and some of *those* lists have websites connected to them. There's also lists covering topics you didn't even think of. Native American tribes, military service, state counties, migrations, Highland clans (I moderate the main one, but there's ones for individual ones), heraldry (mod that one too), royal descendants...the list goes on and on. There used to be a lot more than that a few years ago, up to and including cooking, but they got scaled back. All lists have browseable and searchable archives, plus there's message boards that (mostly) send all messages to the corresponding email list. Try there and see what doesn't kick up. There is also a good bit of donated information on there as well.

Your next best bet is the USGenWeb. All states in the union have their own website (some better than others), and many individual counties do too.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 27-Feb-2005, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

With the addition of new born twins this past week and a few other names I came across, we now have 803 in the family tree. I should be able to add a few more names when I go to Ireland in April. I have a few meetings set up already with some people there who may shed some light on other relations.

I did meet up with the newly found relatives and we had a luncheon for 3 hours and had a great time. We will be meeting again in March to share more pictures and stories and have a few more of the Egan's in attendance for them to meet. It was through this connection that I will meet someone in Ireland that may shed a great deal of light on more relatives that I don't know about yet. I may not be able to see as much of Ireland as I had hoped because of all the people that I may be meeting up with. Guess I need to schedule another road trip (or flight) to Ireland.
PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 05:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

I have started doing some research into my own family's ancestry, the Felty family, and have come up with some information reliable sources including my mother, grandfather, and from another member of the family in Eastern Kentucky, Ron Felty. He has started a BLOG online and I just copied this information from that BLOG, which also lists several of my other family members.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the ship Royal Union, Commander Clement Nicholson, sailed from Rotterdam Germany on a summer day in 1750, Henrick was a passenger. He arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on August 15, 1750. Two years earlier on September 15, 1748, Peter and Bastian Felty had arrived on the ship Two Brothers from Rotterdam. On October 6, 1767 another Henrick Felty arrived from Rotterdam on the ship Hamilton Charles Smith Commander.

From one of these early settlers came the line of Felty's who came to Kentucky. Nicholas was born in Germany or Pennsylvania probably about 1760-1765. His son Peter was born in Pennsylvania in 1782. By 1787, Nicholas had moved down the Shenandoah to Wythe County, Virginia. That year he purchased a twenty-acre tract of land on the north side of Sally Run, a fork Reed Creek in Wythe County, Virginia. (Survey Book "D", p. 554)

In 1800, the Lutheran community in Wythe County felt the need for a church. St. John's Lutheran Church was built, and Nicholas was a subscriber to the fund.

The 1810 census shows that at the time Nicholas had two girls under 10, two boys and two girls between 10-16, four boys between 16-26, on female between 26-45, and two persons over 45.

John, son of Nicholas, was a subscriber to the purchase of an organ for St. John's Lutheran Church in 1816.

Joseph had purchased property in Greenup County, Kentucky by 1868.

Charles Felty married Sarah Floyd in Greenup County, Kentucky on October 26, 1848. By 1870, Simon had settled in Carter County, Kentucky and Nicholas was living at Honeywell Furnace on July 13, 1870. All these Felty's are progeny of Nicholas Felty who came to Wythe County, Virginia by 1787.

Charles Felty and Sarah Floyd had five sons and one daughter. His youngest son married Phebe Stephens December 1, 1887 in Greenup County, Kentucky.

George Felty and Phebe Stephens had five sons and one daughter. Their eldest son, William Walter Felty married Anna Laura Meadows on December 10, 1910 in Greenup County, Kentucky.

William Walter Felty and Anna Laura Meadows had two sons and one daughter. Their youngest son was Greenville Jackson Felty who married Ruby Thomas Harlow on December 22, 1932.

Greenville Jackson Felty and Ruby Thomas Harlow had six sons and four daughters. The youngest is I, William Ronald Felty.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, one part of the tree was not included and I think this is because William Walter and Gabriel were brothers, but was my great-grandfather Gabriel "Poppy" Felty who was remembered as a great man and an excellent organ player!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Lyra Luminara 
Posted: 17-Apr-2005, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Éire (okay fine, it's really PA, USA but that's just boring.)

female

I have compiled about 179 years of history so far. Recently my grandmother sent me a photoalbum of a lot of the people on the tree that I have never met. Really old photos too which I love...it was so amazing to finally put faces to the names.

Basically I've learned that mostly all the men in my family were farmers and all the women were governesses or housekeepers. One woman was a housekeeper for a man and then fell in love and married him. Another was sent to london at the young age to work as a governess in a rich household....many months later she was sent home--pregnant by her boss. Quite the scandal. When she was older she married a wealthy farmer named Cyril Askew. Pretty crazy stuff.

--------------------
If we could just stand here, without the words, would that be enough? ..Look at the sky now. What color is it? Or the way a hawk flies. Or you wake up and your ribs are bruised thinking so hard on somebody. What do you call that?

"Don't cross the street if you can't get out of the kitchen"
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Apr-2005, 01:26 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I have had more cousins to come out of the woodwork to contact me. It is really cool!

Someone mentioned to me that all I needed to do was google the county records of a particular state and county and I would get some family information from there too, like birth and death records that I could work from? Is this true? I can't remember who told me this.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 19-May-2005, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

I haven't finished adding all the names that I picked up when I visited Ireland last month but I should be close to 200 additional names from that trip. I received a letter from one of the relatives in Ballinrobe the other day, that I made a surprised visit at his shop. It contained 57 more names.

I can still remember his face when I walked into his butcher shop and introduced myself. I brought along about 30 pictures of different relatives that I knew he had no idea ever existed, plus a readout of the family tree. He was amazed at how much information I had on his family but he didn't know anything about any relatives in the States. He asked me to send him as much information as I could.

The funny part of meeting him. Each night I would go to the Highway Pub and have a couple of pints of Guinness and I tended to sit in the same seat each night. About a half hour later, each night, this very stunning young lady would come in and sit within 1-2 seats away. All the other locals would converse with her. When she didn't come in for two days straight, I asked why she wasn't in. The bartender told me she went back to Dublin to graduate from college. He then asked me, "how come I didn't know that". I obviously had no idea what he was talking about. He said, "you didn't know she was related to you. She's the daughter of the butcher in Ballinrobe". She has since learned who I was. Unfortunately, I never got a picture of her. sad.gif You just never know who might be related to you.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-May-2005, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

OMG! Mike! What an incredible story! You have gotten so far in your search. And how sad you missed out meeting one of your relatives. Too bad you can't get a hold of her..can you?
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 21-May-2005, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Not a problem, Rose. I have the home phone number and can talk with them anytime. It just would have been nice to sit and talk with her, over a few cold ones. beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-May-2005, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh good. I am glad to hear that! Hope that comes to fruition for you soon. Keep us posted!
Siarls 
Posted: 27-May-2005, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

Thanks to Celtic Radio - I have been considering more and more doing familt research. Which is not very popular in Wales... we have no interest in our ancestry, perhaps because we feel that we ARE our ancestry. Anyway, I felt I wanted to know and I know my mother said that her Uncle George used to be the Mayor of Bath... but it's so difficult because there's no online register of mayors.

I'd also love to know more about my Gaelic ancestors, but the name Wilson is so common, it's difficult to know what's relevant to my searches!!!

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Sials! I just wanted to say that you are not alone in wanting to research your ancesters being from Wales. I have several Welsh friends who are doing their family search as well. If you need some help with some Welsh ancestry links, I would be happy to get them for you. Let me know! Good luck in your search. wink.gif
Siarls 
Posted: 03-Jun-2005, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

Oooh, are there any sites you particularly recommend, Celtic Rose?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 03-Jun-2005, 09:11 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

AShruleEgan 
Posted: 23-Jul-2005, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Well, we hit 984 on the family tree. The second set of twins in the last three months have been added. That's the third set of twins in one year. Hope this isn't getting into a pattern.
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 28-Jul-2005, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

My new thing is now DNA research in connection with genealogy. Specifically, myself and several relations are trying to figure out if the several branches of our surname in the US (Todd, in this case) are connected at all. Really, the results have been surprising! It's been a lot of fun trying to tease out more information that records aren't providing, but blood samples are. At least it's eroding lots of brick walls!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]