Posted: 16-Sep-2008, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

Right now, it costs resources to train units, but nothing to maintain them.
To be realistic, there should be some sort of monthly maintenance cost involved in keeping those units. It doesn't have to be anything big, but even 1/2% of their initial training value would suffice.

Why? Well, right now there's no limit to how many units you can train- you can build an army of limitless size if you're given enough time.*
Your units need to eat. Equipment (armor/weapons) gets damaged and need to be replaced. Archers need new arrows- these costs all add up.
Others were joking in another thread about feeding their armies wood. While this was indeed a joke, the flip side is that armies do need to eat.

This would also be a real good way to limit peoples' resource accumulation. As your army grows, you have less and less surplus income.

Note: if this were to be implemented, it should only occur after a reset, otherwise many of us would have negative resource income with current army levels. New code would have to be added to handle deficits of resources- perhaps troops automatically leaving your army if you could not afford to maintain them, etc.

* of course there will be limits imposed by the programming- an int32 has a max value of 32,767 for example

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 16-Sep-2008, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

This is "government extortion" in my eyes for we do pay food and gold and wood while training and especially while attacking for during battle one keeps training as battle is under ways and one can see his rations of food go down pretty fast and takes a long while to recover afterward.

Of course, there is not limit to built an army but once engage in battle and men fall you have to replace them and it's costly.

My two pence.
LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
Harlot 
Posted: 16-Sep-2008, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

I agree with you LOL, what fun would we have sounds like he's running for government. NO to taxes!! or better yet lets all vote on it

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               View My Space Profile.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 16-Sep-2008, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Huh!Harlot my name is LOA not LOL.... biggrin.gif but that's okay I must have a funny face....

Yes how about a vote on this issue.I'm all for it.

LOA
Harlot 
Posted: 16-Sep-2008, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

oops.gif Sorry!

Who thinks we as ALL the kingdoms should Vote on this after all this game is for all of us to have fun on?
subhuman 
Posted: 17-Sep-2008, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Who thinks we as ALL the kingdoms should Vote on this after all this game is for all of us to have fun on?

That's pretty much the point of a suggestion- someone makes a suggestion, others get to voice their opinions on it.

This is "government extortion" in my eyes for we do pay food and gold and wood while training and especially while attacking

How would this be government extortion?
I'm talking about paying and feeding troops, not paying income to a higher authority.
Troops need to be paid. Even if they were slaves , they would still need to be fed and clothed. This is one aspect that the game does not currently take into account.

I'm unclear about what you mean by "especially while attacking" part because I haven't seen myself being charged for sending out attacks yet. Although this would be a good idea- it does cost more to have a military force in action versus what it costs for them to be idle.

PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 17-Sep-2008, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

I'm sorry subhuman but maybe I did not express myself correctly and frankly no offense but tonight I don't think I can't either...forgive me.

LOA
McRoach 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

>>*<<
Group Icon

Group: Fellowship of the Ring
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
839,514 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

Subhuman makes a good point. Armies definitely required a good deal of resources to maintain and even more so to march into battle but on the flip side of that the current cost to train troops is quite high and offsets the need for maintenance a bit in my opinion. For example training a swordsmen costs a high amount of gold and large amount of food but also costs 200 wood, why wood? Surely he isn't going to kill that many trees while training in the lavish military academy thats was built to train him. The wood could be justified in a cost to march him into battle or perhaps heat his tent while in the field but for what else? And paying 800 gold to train a swordsmen seems excessive as well. Granted you need to pay someone to train him but here is where an upkeep cost might make sense. If you charged only say 50-60 to train a swordsman but than charged 1-2 gold for each month/tick of the game as an upkeep to have him on payroll than the cost would eventually be higher to have him for several weeks (real time) but would also inhibit players from having 2 or 3000 on hand for home defense which would to subhumans main point make the game a little more in depth and also make fighting the largest/richest players with success a little more attainable.

Don't get mewrong though I like the idea of having a huge army with out having to spend half of my time wondering if I can afford to have it. lookaround.gif

--------------------
"May those who love us, love us. And those who hate us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping."
-Celtic Proverbs

Grateful am I to have a sword in which to defend myself at all times, blessed am I for the days I need not use it.
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
subhuman 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

re: swordsman training costs
Wood is an excellent question. There's a limit to how many target dummies one guy can beat up, after all.. tongue.gif
As for gold, they're described as effectively armored. What does a full coat of armor cost? How many man-hours of labor go into producing one?
You can also look at wood as being traded for other resources involved- the iron and coal needed to forge their armor and weapons, for example.
Or was wood used in the forges in the iron age? I can't imagine it burning hot enough, but I'm no expert here.
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

This all sounds so real,so lets talk about climate. Are we going to have seasons? I know about winters and so do the ones who live in Canada, so with that said we need more food. We can burn the wood to keep warm but what are we too do about having enough food, you can't grow food in the winter.
This sounds silly but that was my thought for that moment.
stevenpd 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

QUOTE (subhuman @ 23-Sep-2008, 02:12 PM)
re: swordsman training costs
Wood is an excellent question. There's a limit to how many target dummies one guy can beat up, after all.. tongue.gif
As for gold, they're described as effectively armored. What does a full coat of armor cost? How many man-hours of labor go into producing one?
You can also look at wood as being traded for other resources involved- the iron and coal needed to forge their armor and weapons, for example.
Or was wood used in the forges in the iron age? I can't imagine it burning hot enough, but I'm no expert here.

Hardwoods were used to create charcoal. Then used in forges with hand-worked bellows heating the charcoal to the required temperature.

The time it takes to build a suite of armor could take as long as a year. The length of time depended upon the detail of the suit and whether it was custom or modified off-the-shelf . Chain mail took up to 4,000 hours to make.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog View My Photographs               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (Harlot @ 23-Sep-2008, 04:40 PM)
This all sounds so real,so lets talk about climate. Are we going to have seasons? I know about winters and so do the ones who live in Canada, so with that said we need more food. We can burn the wood to keep warm but what are we too do about having enough food, you can't grow food in the winter.
This sounds silly but that was my thought for that moment.

to have enough food for the winter you start preserving after your crops have been harvested. The men go out and kill wildlife and the meat is smoked and dryed. If you have cows and goats, they can be milked and cheese and butter can be made. If you have hogs you can smoke the meat and render the fat out for lard to cook with. Of course to feed the stock you have to have hay and grain, it's an endless circle!!!
Lady maggiemahone1 biggrin.gif
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog                View My Space Profile.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 24-Sep-2008, 04:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Subhuman & McRoach,

Though I understand what you mean gentlemen,the fact is that this game was created for the CR members to enjoy and have fun and another way for people interested in the game to gather in a different environment.
If this game becomes more and more complicated with all kinds of things like paying for this and that when one player struggles to gain little it could be discouraging and the player will simply quit the game.

The purpose of it is to entertain and at the same time one can learn the ways of clan memberships, battles, armies and such but it doesn't have to get complicated.
Don't forget that the auction site is under way where again members will be able to go and enjoy the fun in bidding for funny trinkets, so if one cannot amass enough gold because it is spent mainly on the army sustenance and building the kingdom, well in my opinion one will simply quit playing.

My 2 cents.

LOA
Harlot 
Posted: 24-Sep-2008, 05:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

You couldn't said it better.I say stop all the ways to take the gold and lets just play. thumbs_up.gif cheers.gif
McRoach 
Posted: 25-Sep-2008, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

>>*<<
Group Icon

Group: Fellowship of the Ring
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
839,514 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

Stevenpd, Thanks for the input on the wood cost, it's a good point and makes sense.

LOA, I appreciate your 2 cents worth, I just figured I would bring up some of the real world factors that can effect a game like this, after all you have to have some sense of reality or you might as well be playing virtual chess or something. I agree that it's best not to over complicate the game though and I'm all about having more gold!
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]