Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> God's Sabbath, Saturday vs Sunday
Bookmark and Share
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 10-Feb-2004, 06:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

Actually, I am familiar with it. I was part of a parish 2 years ago, where they believed in the powers of the Holy Spirit, like praying in tongues and laying on of hands. I enjoyed it a lot, but I ended up leaving. My God-mother and the priest were very good friends, and he has a habit of hurting her feelings, yet she still feels called to continue to be his friend. She confides in me and tells me everything, and I knew that if I continued to stay, I'd have a few not-so-nice things to say to the priest. angel_not.gif I felt it was a good idea to remain her friend and confidant, and just remove myself from that church and make sure I'm never in a situation to go ballistic on him. laugh.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Celticpride 
Posted: 10-Feb-2004, 06:08 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

Walk the steps of your conviction but never be afraid to offer your hand in aid to your brothers and sisters no matter if they agree with you or not.

Faith is in your heart and God knows your heart.

--------------------
Highlander or Lowlander its all the same, Its SCOTTISH !
PMEmail Poster               
Kiwi Gael 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 12:59 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tokoroa, New Zealand.

male

QUOTE (andylucy @ Feb 8 2004, 10:29 PM)
Now, to the actual "day" of the Sabbath. Well, Biblically, I like Acts 20:7. It spells out that the Eucharist is celebrated on the first day of the week.

1. Acts 20:7 has indeed tripped up a lotta folk. However it does not establish a 'Sunday Sabbath' or 'Sunday Communion'; read the following links for details;

http://www.ynca.com/sundayworship.htm

http://www.halleluyah.org/Acts%2020.7%20Di...on%20Sunday.htm

2. The 'Holy Trinity' is a myth rooted in paganism - the Holy Spirit is the power of God;

http://www.ynca.com/Mini%20Studies/truth_a...the_trinity.htm

3. There is no such thing as an immortal soul:

http://www.ynca.com/Mini%20Studies/immortalsoul.htm

4. What exactly is hell?

http://www.ynca.com/Mini%20Studies/underst...ng_hellfire.htm

How many folk actually go out of their way to really check up on what their religious leaders are feeding them with??? (1 Thess 5:21) book.gif

--------------------
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom and with all thy getting get understanding (Proverbs 4:7)

user posted image

The Scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35)
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Irish Stepper @ Feb 9 2004, 01:01 PM)
SB, I was raised Independent Baptist, and I converted to Catholic about 4 years ago. I definately don't see protestants as Heretics. Quite the opposite. A draw back I see with the Catholic church is that the people seem to lack that "Personal Relationship" with Christ....

Ah, two other Baptists here! I belong to a Southern Baptist church myself but I don't always admit to being a SB because at the yearly convention they tend to debate things like 'is the Bible the inerrant word of God' which I would think we've figured out by now... I am suspicious of politics anyway and the SBConvention folks do like their time in the limelight.

Since you left the Baptist church to convert to Catholicism, what was it that you preferred there?

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 08:35 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

My Granddad was a Baptist preacher. The kind that preached you know what kind of fire biggrin.gif and brimstone. I know about the baptist and their beliefs, don't always believe in everything they preach as with all the other denominations of today. Wouldn't it be nice though, if we could all be in one mind and one accord about the gospel of Jesus Christ? If the Holy Spirit could flow breast to breast, and we didn't stop it by thinking the other person to us was wrong in his/hers belief's as long as we could agree that Jesus was Lord and we had faith as small as a grain of mustard seed.

My two cents worth for what it's worth! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Maggie your two cents are worth alot more than just 2 cents!

Did you know that the Sabbath was actually on Saturday instead of Sunday?
The difference is the calendar. We use the Roman calendar. But back during the times of Jesus the Jewish Calendar was used which makes us one day off.
That is the reason that Jewish people worship on Saturday and gentile on Sunday and some denominations have extra times on Sat afternoon too.
No matter what time or what day, spending quiet time with the Lord is a pleasurable time. No matter what faith you practice, turning your life over for his councel is worthwhile.

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 17-Feb-2004, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

QUOTE (Siusaidh Blues @ Feb 16 2004, 03:04 PM)
Ah, two other Baptists here!  I belong to a Southern Baptist church myself but I don't always admit to being a SB because at the yearly convention they tend to debate things like 'is the Bible the inerrant word of God' which I would think we've figured out by now... I am suspicious of politics anyway and the SBConvention folks do like their time in the limelight.

Since you left the Baptist church to convert to Catholicism, what was it that you preferred there?

SB, I'm still trying to figure that one out. I just felt drawn to the Catholic church since it's the oldest church that can trace it's roots to the original apostles. I also like structure, and I didn't find that in the Baptist church. I may end up changing my mind later on in life, but for now I'm content with the Catholic Faith. It seems that they hold you more accountable for your actions than protestant faiths.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

IStepper, thank you for sharing with me your thoughts. I am just being curious, and its out of sincerity not some desire to pass judgement!

The more I've studied Catholicism the more I've found some crucial similarities to protestant beliefs; compared to the Baptist church the Catholic faith seems to be 'bigger', in that there is more structure & ritual & concepts such as sainthood. But we have central beliefs in common, and to me its the most important one of all: that God is the almighty Creator, and that Christ was who he said he was!

SB
PM               
andylucy 
Posted: 24-Feb-2004, 04:27 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Irish Stepper @ Feb 9 2004, 12:01 PM)
A draw back I see with the Catholic church is that the people seem to lack that "Personal Relationship" with Christ.  They seem to get into the rut of saying the same things over and over again, and just reciting prayers rather than praying from the heart.  So, I think protestants have an advantage on Catholics, because they've been taught that the personal relationship with Christ is the most important thing.

I was just the opposite. I felt absolutely no personal relationship with God while a Baptist. I went to church on Sunday to get yelled at. It was a very boring way to kill a couple of hours each week. As far as fostering any type of relationship with Christ, it just wasn't there. It wasn't until I started exploring Roman Catholicism that I found that relationship.

I hear what you are saying, though. My wife says that her prayer life has gotten more fruitful since she has started looking at it in a more personal way, rather than just being a "card punching" Mass goer. Of course, I look at it from the viewpoint of the convert, who always seem to be more fanatical in their pursuit of the Faith than the "cradle Catholics." But this is changing, as well, since the publication of the new Catechism.

I don't see the development of a personal relationship with Christ as being a Protestant/Catholic issue. I see it as an issue of complacency on the part of whatever minister (priest, reverend, parent) is charged with the development of the faith of young people. If that fire is not there with the teacher, it sho' won't be there with the student. wink.gif

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 24-Feb-2004, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (andylucy @ Feb 24 2004, 05:27 AM)
I felt absolutely no personal relationship with God while a Baptist. I went to church on Sunday to get yelled at. It was a very boring way to kill a couple of hours each week. As far as fostering any type of relationship with Christ, it just wasn't there....

If the Baptist church has one glaring flaw, its the tendency of many preachers to do far too many 'fire and brimstone' sermons: bombarding the listeners with condemnation & stressing how they're sinners and can't do anything right.
Sure we've all sinned, but what also needs to be stressed is how we can all be forgiven!

What personally appeals to me more than guilt trips is talking about what a difference finding Christ can make in ones life right now: I wish preachers would talk more about the immediate benefits of believing, like how you receive encouragement and direction through that 'still small voice'... how by asking to be forgiven, that inner burden of guilt can be eased so you're not kicking yourself mentally all the time about some mistake you made in the past... how by stepping out in trusting God, you realize with relief that you don't HAVE to understand everything and figure it all out by yourself - you now know the One who you can trust unconditionally to handle everything and lead you on your way...
PM               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada. They provide music license coverage through SOCAN.
Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance Tavern, Ye O' Celtic Pub, Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics , Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With Chrome (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]